Having a replica made

LefroyFisherman

Also important to keep in mind is that replica molds are from actual fish and can be 'adjusted' to fit the dimensions of the actual catch. Advanced would probably have the most different size molds to select from. Obviously they would like to chose the next size up rather than down to make the buyer happy. I have seen some pics of a fish that to me anyhoo looked quite a bit smaller than the replica. Don't recall the artist though so I am not saying it was Advanced. But keep in mind the dimensions you provide should be size of the replica. Now there is no saying that the angler's measuring tape/ability may have been off a bit too......😇  

I'm a geezer, I haven't had a fish mounted in 40 years, although I support the idea of replica mounts those are still pricey. You could probably get a picture blown up and put in a frame and take your son out and get him his own good quality rod and reel for the same price.

5 hours ago, cisco said:

Also important to keep in mind is that replica molds are from actual fish and can be 'adjusted' to fit the dimensions of the actual catch. Advanced would probably have the most different size molds to select from. Obviously they would like to chose the next size up rather than down to make the buyer happy. I have seen some pics of a fish that to me anyhoo looked quite a bit smaller than the replica. Don't recall the artist though so I am not saying it was Advanced. But keep in mind the dimensions you provide should be size of the replica. Now there is no saying that the angler's measuring tape/ability may have been off a bit too......😇  

Who would do such a thing as too exaggerate a tiny bit :) we wouldn’t be fisherman if we didn’t grow the fish a little lol 

On 8/18/2020 at 10:37 AM, LefroyFisherman said:

Who would do such a thing as too exaggerate a tiny bit :) we wouldn’t be fisherman if we didn’t grow the fish a little lol 

Haha! OK but say your son's bass comes back bigger than yours even though you know yours was a bigger fish. Keep a close eye on this one dad!😜

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2020 at 10:24 AM, OhioFisherman said:

I'm a geezer, I haven't had a fish mounted in 40 years, although I support the idea of replica mounts those are still pricey. You could probably get a picture blown up and put in a frame and take your son out and get him his own good quality rod and reel for the same price.

Back in 1983 I had a Tiger Musky mounted. It looks new to this day. Maybe because it was always kept moist as I had it hanging in the kitchen for years. That and Mr. Martin of Hamilton did it. He was an award winning taxidermist. I hope he is alive and well, he would be in his 80's now. It was $450.00 to do it then, that's a good chunk of change even for today. I always felt terrible I mounted a Musky until a few years back when I found out that Tiger Musky can not procreate. All those years of guilt for nothing. What does a good recreation cost today? I have more than a few personal bests that I have pics of and remember the dimensions to a T. The dimensions grow every year adjusted for inflation. 

17 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Back in 1983 I had a Tiger Musky mounted. It looks new to this day. Maybe because it was always kept moist as I had it hanging in the kitchen for years. That and Mr. Martin of Hamilton did it. He was an award winning taxidermist. I hope he is alive and well, he would be in his 80's now. It was $450.00 to do it then, that's a good chunk of change even for today. I always felt terrible I mounted a Musky until a few years back when I found out that Tiger Musky can not procreate. All those years of guilt for nothing. What does a good recreation cost today? I have more than a few personal bests that I have pics of and remember the dimensions to a T. The dimensions grow every year adjusted for inflation. 

The quotes I’ve been getting are around 23 - 25 bucks per inch, then some more if you wanted it on a piece of wood or on driftwood. Little pricey. 

Edited by LefroyFisherman

On 8/20/2020 at 10:24 PM, Rizzo said:

I caught a nice tiger about 10-12 years back, debated getting a replica and it was gonna be 1000 at that time...hard pass. 

I know I paid $450.00 in 83'. It is 40", if my sciferin' is write that's $11.25 an inch. Sounds about write if a re creation is 25 bucks now. 

Hey Rizzo, if you want to start a heated discussion here or on any other fishing forum say that you caught a Tiger Musky* in Lake Scugog NE of Oshawa Ontario. 

Addin' and subtragshin' is good but my spelen not so gould.  A tough language that English is, should and would is "ould" but good is "ood", why? I remember a Japanese gent telling me that Chinese was easier to learn than English. Japanese and Chinese have zip in common he told me. Digress much JD?

* Auto correct for Musky was Muslim here at one time. Doesn't look good when you type "Ï once killed a Musky." and auto correct replaces Musky with Muslim. Not good to say the least. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2020 at 10:08 PM, LefroyFisherman said:

The quotes I’ve been getting are around 23 - 25 bucks per inch, then some more if you wanted it on a piece of wood or on driftwood. Little pricey. 

Go for a walk along a river and get yer own wood. Get the fish and mount it yer self. It is not that hard to do. I did that for my mounts when I had them done. I do not have a single mount now. Gave them away. Even the big buck of my life is now hanging on my brothers wall. So I am told. LOL

On 8/20/2020 at 9:51 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

I had a 20 inch largemouth, a 20 inch smallmouth, a 28 walleye, and a 41 inch pike mounted, the cost for any of them would have paid for another week of cabin rental at Pointe Au Baril in those days and some cash left over. The pike wouldn't have swam away, kept it in the livewell which was too small for it so I could get back to camp to get a picture, all the others could have been released. Stopped keeping fish after that unless they were for a meal or weigh in, didn't even like to handle them too much.

• Like 2

Yep Brain was $22.50/inch when I had him do the Daughter's 44.5" pike that died on us on a back lake. God knows I tried for almost 2 hours to revive that fish, but it is what it is, a $1000 Christmas present.. lol Glad to see they're back up and running after the place burning down a few years back.

spacer.png

earl 044.JPG

earl 002.JPG

earl 003.JPG

Edited by irishfield
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, David Chong said:

You won't be disappointed! All of my replicas are done by Shawn & James at Advanced, they're the best as far as I'm concerned! Here is the last one that I had done!

Advanced Replica-Smallie-001.jpg

jesus dave, guys talk a lot about smallmouth being Footballs...that thing looks like it ate a bloody beach ball. It had to have been 8?

• Like 2