Jump to content

LefroyFisherman

Having a replica made

Recommended Posts

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for having a replica bass mount done, for the lunker bass my son just caught. I got a replica made for my own bass years ago but don't remember where I got it done.

Barrie area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cisco said:

Advanced Taxidermy is well known. 

They have an excellent reputation.  If I was going to have a replica made, it would be these folks that I would go to first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also important to keep in mind is that replica molds are from actual fish and can be 'adjusted' to fit the dimensions of the actual catch. Advanced would probably have the most different size molds to select from. Obviously they would like to chose the next size up rather than down to make the buyer happy. I have seen some pics of a fish that to me anyhoo looked quite a bit smaller than the replica. Don't recall the artist though so I am not saying it was Advanced. But keep in mind the dimensions you provide should be size of the replica. Now there is no saying that the angler's measuring tape/ability may have been off a bit too......😇  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a geezer, I haven't had a fish mounted in 40 years, although I support the idea of replica mounts those are still pricey. You could probably get a picture blown up and put in a frame and take your son out and get him his own good quality rod and reel for the same price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cisco said:

Also important to keep in mind is that replica molds are from actual fish and can be 'adjusted' to fit the dimensions of the actual catch. Advanced would probably have the most different size molds to select from. Obviously they would like to chose the next size up rather than down to make the buyer happy. I have seen some pics of a fish that to me anyhoo looked quite a bit smaller than the replica. Don't recall the artist though so I am not saying it was Advanced. But keep in mind the dimensions you provide should be size of the replica. Now there is no saying that the angler's measuring tape/ability may have been off a bit too......😇  

Who would do such a thing as too exaggerate a tiny bit :) we wouldn’t be fisherman if we didn’t grow the fish a little lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2020 at 10:37 AM, LefroyFisherman said:

Who would do such a thing as too exaggerate a tiny bit :) we wouldn’t be fisherman if we didn’t grow the fish a little lol 

Haha! OK but say your son's bass comes back bigger than yours even though you know yours was a bigger fish. Keep a close eye on this one dad!😜

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2020 at 10:24 AM, OhioFisherman said:

I'm a geezer, I haven't had a fish mounted in 40 years, although I support the idea of replica mounts those are still pricey. You could probably get a picture blown up and put in a frame and take your son out and get him his own good quality rod and reel for the same price.

Back in 1983 I had a Tiger Musky mounted. It looks new to this day. Maybe because it was always kept moist as I had it hanging in the kitchen for years. That and Mr. Martin of Hamilton did it. He was an award winning taxidermist. I hope he is alive and well, he would be in his 80's now. It was $450.00 to do it then, that's a good chunk of change even for today. I always felt terrible I mounted a Musky until a few years back when I found out that Tiger Musky can not procreate. All those years of guilt for nothing. What does a good recreation cost today? I have more than a few personal bests that I have pics of and remember the dimensions to a T. The dimensions grow every year adjusted for inflation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Back in 1983 I had a Tiger Musky mounted. It looks new to this day. Maybe because it was always kept moist as I had it hanging in the kitchen for years. That and Mr. Martin of Hamilton did it. He was an award winning taxidermist. I hope he is alive and well, he would be in his 80's now. It was $450.00 to do it then, that's a good chunk of change even for today. I always felt terrible I mounted a Musky until a few years back when I found out that Tiger Musky can not procreate. All those years of guilt for nothing. What does a good recreation cost today? I have more than a few personal bests that I have pics of and remember the dimensions to a T. The dimensions grow every year adjusted for inflation. 

The quotes I’ve been getting are around 23 - 25 bucks per inch, then some more if you wanted it on a piece of wood or on driftwood. Little pricey. 

Edited by LefroyFisherman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I caught a nice tiger about 10-12 years back, debated getting a replica and it was gonna be 1000 at that time...hard pass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

but I did stop in to Jeff Brain's shop (I think that was his name) up north of Barrie and some of his work looked really nice

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2020 at 10:24 PM, Rizzo said:

I caught a nice tiger about 10-12 years back, debated getting a replica and it was gonna be 1000 at that time...hard pass. 

I know I paid $450.00 in 83'. It is 40", if my sciferin' is write that's $11.25 an inch. Sounds about write if a re creation is 25 bucks now. 

Hey Rizzo, if you want to start a heated discussion here or on any other fishing forum say that you caught a Tiger Musky* in Lake Scugog NE of Oshawa Ontario. 

Addin' and subtragshin' is good but my spelen not so gould.  A tough language that English is, should and would is "ould" but good is "ood", why? I remember a Japanese gent telling me that Chinese was easier to learn than English. Japanese and Chinese have zip in common he told me. Digress much JD?

* Auto correct for Musky was Muslim here at one time. Doesn't look good when you type "Ï once killed a Musky." and auto correct replaces Musky with Muslim. Not good to say the least. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2020 at 10:08 PM, LefroyFisherman said:

The quotes I’ve been getting are around 23 - 25 bucks per inch, then some more if you wanted it on a piece of wood or on driftwood. Little pricey. 

Go for a walk along a river and get yer own wood. Get the fish and mount it yer self. It is not that hard to do. I did that for my mounts when I had them done. I do not have a single mount now. Gave them away. Even the big buck of my life is now hanging on my brothers wall. So I am told. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2020 at 9:51 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

Back in 1983 I had a Tiger Musky mounted. It looks new to this day. Maybe because it was always kept moist as I had it hanging in the kitchen for years. That and Mr. Martin of Hamilton did it. He was an award winning taxidermist. I hope he is alive and well, he would be in his 80's now. It was $450.00 to do it then, that's a good chunk of change even for today. I always felt terrible I mounted a Musky until a few years back when I found out that Tiger Musky can not procreate. All those years of guilt for nothing. What does a good recreation cost today? I have more than a few personal bests that I have pics of and remember the dimensions to a T. The dimensions grow every year adjusted for inflation. 

I had a 20 inch largemouth, a 20 inch smallmouth, a 28 walleye, and a 41 inch pike mounted, the cost for any of them would have paid for another week of cabin rental at Pointe Au Baril in those days and some cash left over. The pike wouldn't have swam away, kept it in the livewell which was too small for it so I could get back to camp to get a picture, all the others could have been released. Stopped keeping fish after that unless they were for a meal or weigh in, didn't even like to handle them too much.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were C&R well before my American pals and relatives ever heard of it. early 80's. For the price of that Tiger mount I could have bought a winter beater car, or a few actually. It is the only mount I ever had done. It is almost 40 years old and looks new. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep Brain was $22.50/inch when I had him do the Daughter's 44.5" pike that died on us on a back lake. God knows I tried for almost 2 hours to revive that fish, but it is what it is, a $1000 Christmas present.. lol Glad to see they're back up and running after the place burning down a few years back.

spacer.png

earl 044.JPG

earl 002.JPG

earl 003.JPG

Edited by irishfield
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, irishfield said:

lol Glad to see they're back up and running after the place burning down a few years back.

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2020 at 5:11 PM, LefroyFisherman said:

I'm having Advanced do it, can't wait to see it done

You won't be disappointed! All of my replicas are done by Shawn & James at Advanced, they're the best as far as I'm concerned! Here is the last one that I had done!

Advanced Replica-Smallie-001.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, David Chong said:

You won't be disappointed! All of my replicas are done by Shawn & James at Advanced, they're the best as far as I'm concerned! Here is the last one that I had done!

Advanced Replica-Smallie-001.jpg

jesus dave, guys talk a lot about smallmouth being Footballs...that thing looks like it ate a bloody beach ball. It had to have been 8?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...