Moose Rescue

grimsbylander

If in an area with Whitetail Deer then a good chance it has Brain worm. Brain worm does cause moose to go in circles but if an eye is out then maybe it has an internal head infection which it may recover from. Seemed very disorientated bumping its nose into the boat and weakly reacting to the people. Otherwise looked a mid-age healthy bull with no thinning or bald tick areas.

But IMHO way better to have it die in the woods rather than in the lake since scavengers would have easier access and less pollution of the lake would result. The fellows did a good thing IMO.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Streamhound said:

Fascinating rebuttal.

I posted this many years ago.

One canoe trip with my oldest son,we witnessed a very aggressive battle between two male loons over a female. It was very wild. The loser of the battle was beaten to the point it was just laying in the water with it,s head in the water. My son felt bad for it,so we brought it in the canoe and brought it to shore and called the wild life agency for the area. They came and took the loon and cared for it. They even called to say it had made a full recovery and was sent back in the wild. Every time I see or hear  a loons voice , I think of that day.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 7:16 PM, Streamhound said:

How do we know it will die in the woods?.. interference with nature is never the right thing

Common sense says it was dying in the water and after 'rescue' it ran off into the woods. Sure it might end up back in the water and die. But the rescuers upped the odds on it not drowning in the lake. But following your bizarre reasoning maybe it wasn't a lake!!!!!! Maybe it was a river. Then just imagine the horror!!! I must leave now very worried of what those demon humans were really doing to destroy mother earth under the guise of being 'rescuers'.  

Like A dead moose is gonna harm a lake....that's hilarious.

Lotta comments but no real reasons to interfere with nature..and the interfering that is done is to right the wrongs that the human race has inflicted in the first place..

"the rule of thumb is that if human activity causes an animal to become injured or orphaned, we may intervene...if not, -if it's something that happened naturally-then we don't.". ecologist Doug Smith.

Nowhere have I implied that these "rescuers" were bad people..nice try..

"Like A dead moose is gonna harm a lake....that's hilarious."

It's a public health issue. Many who swim, wash hands, or perhaps even drink the water thinking it's clean may become quite ill from the water-borne pathogens from a huge rotting animal carcass. 

Here's an excerpt from an issue of Cottage life.....

"What can be done when a large, dead moose is found decaying in the cottage water source? How can it be removed and can it be poisonous?

Any time you have a piece of rotting meat that weighs as much as 600 kg sitting in your water supply, it could affect your water quality. In addition to pathogens accumulating on the dead beast, there’s also the danger that the moose is carrying potentially deadly bacteria, such as E. coli or salmonella. Water supplies can easily become contaminated and should be tested on a regular basis."

You really should study up on things before making such ridiculous grandiose assertions.