Question for the Photgraphers

As I continue to work on the blog I am realizing that I could use a good photography basics course or book

Right now I generally use 3 camera options:

Go Pro Style (Akaso Ek7000 pro)

Apple IPhone 11

Canon M100 Mirrorless 

At this stage a new expensive camera isn't in the cards but taking an online course, reading a book or spending some time on some good online resources is doable

Primarily focusing on outdoor/fishing photography and potentially short action rolls in video 

Any tips or tricks or recommendations appreciated

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew,

Not now due to Covid-19 but when things get back to normal, hopefully, local community colleges generally have introduction to photography courses. I took my courses at Sheridan in Oakville many years ago and those principles that were taught decades before cell phones that take photos were invented hold true today. There is more than enough on line information to use the cameras you have I am sure. I would say learn what happens when a photo is taken with a 35MM or digital camera. It's all about light and how much light to take a pic, pretty simple really.  Principles used at the turn of the 20th century is the same as the turn of the 21st century in fact. I occasionally will use my wife's Grand Dads 100 year old Leica 35 MM camera today or my 60 year old Practica 35 MM I got by saving Pinky Stamps from Steinburg's grocery store when I was 6.  I can sum up what I know about digital telephones that transform into magnificent camera's in 2 words. "Not much." 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Andrew,

Not now due to Covid-19 but when things get back to normal, hopefully, local community colleges generally have introduction to photography courses. I took my courses at Sheridan in Oakville many years ago and those principles that were taught decades before cell phones that take photos were invented hold true today. There is more than enough on line information to use the cameras you have I am sure. I would say learn what happens when a photo is taken with a 35MM or digital camera. It's all about light and how much light to take a pic, pretty simple really.  Principles used at the turn of the 20th century is the same as the turn of the 21st century in fact. I occasionally will use my wife's Grand Dads 100 year old Leica 35 MM camera today or my 60 year old Practica 35 MM I got by saving Pinky Stamps from Steinburg's grocery store when I was 6.  I can sum up what I know about digital telephones that transform into magnificent camera's in 2 words. "Not much." i

I dabble in photography as well ... but never took a course.... although never had a web site...  I read books mostly and used some good groups online offering help when they could!  People are so kind!   I know Covid has been horrid for everyone...  I have a Canon Rebel SL1 EOS 100D My first digital.... It came with a kit lens EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM .. but my baby is the EF70-300mm 1:4-5.6 L IS USM The L series lenses are so nice but also so expensive and the one I have is a bit heavy for my shoulder right now...  I do use it for close up shots as well though like kethenany showed us....  Is a great shot!  I love shooting birds though hence the larger lens. I can only hope this posts to the right place  lol   xo

21544141_10214338654209932_3238960332297621148_o.jpg

21551701_10214387383748140_242615026498536959_o.jpg

BB-----.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 3Nancy3 said:

I dabble in photography as well ... but never took a course.... although never had a web site...  I read books mostly and used some good groups online offering help when they could!  People are so kind!   I know Covid has been horrid for everyone...  I have a Canon Rebel SL1 EOS 100D My first digital.... It came with a kit lens EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM .. but my baby is the EF70-300mm 1:4-5.6 L IS USM The L series lenses are so nice but also so expensive and the one I have is a bit heavy for my shoulder right now...  I do use it for close up shots as well though like kethenany showed us....  Is a great shot!  I love shooting birds though hence the larger lens. I can only hope this posts to the right place  lol   xo

21544141_10214338654209932_3238960332297621148_o.jpg

21551701_10214387383748140_242615026498536959_o.jpg

BB-----.jpg

PPP---.jpg

• Like 1

An online course can help, but the best return on your time is deciding exactly what it is you want to improve, learning how to do it with some YouTube instructional videos, then going out and practicing that new skill over and over again till you have it down pat. Just deciding "I want to take better pictures" won't get you anywhere, since that's not specific enough that you can do anything about it.

It's no different than fishing ... just saying " I want to catch more fish" won't get you anywhere. But saying I want to learn to cast properly ... I want to learn to pick spots ... I want to learn how to jig ... I want to learn how to fish swimbaits .... I want to learn how to fish topwaters ..... those things are specific skills that can be learned, and produce real results.

So what do you want to learn to do better with your cameras? Do you want to take better photos in dim light? Better action shots? Better scenery shots? Better close-ups? Better compositions? Get better pics without a flash? What, exactly? You need to decide what you want to improve on or learn to do, then focus on that alone until you've mastered it

The GoPro, iPhone and Canon M100 especially are more than capable of producing very good images. You don't need a better camera, especially if you're looking at the end results on a screen. Seriously, lots of pro photographers have done coffee table books and National Geographic shots with older iPhones. Within reason, the equipment doesn't matter. It's all technique.

Juvenile Coopers Hawk.jpg

Blue Jay 9-21-16-2.jpg

Edited by craigdritchie

• 3 weeks later...

I took a course at a local college a few years back and it really was beneficial.

The course was “dry” BUT the instructor set it up that studentS were required every week to complete a photo assignment. Eg. macro one week and motion blur the next.

I’m a geek so I had YouTubed ever tutorial for my camera and had watched them all. I was a “know it all” until I actually had To do it! Sure I know how to produce an image at night with trailing Car light lines, BUT now I had to prove it. It forced me to put my knowledge to practical Use and actually read the manual. This was a huge eye opener and humbling but forced me to truly grasp the topics.

The other learning I can’t stress enough is to get out there and practice in all lighting. Everyone can take a great picture outdoors in cloudy weather but what about sports shots in a dark gym that needs high speed? Being able to go in manual mode and adjust on the fly aperture/speed/iso/white balance is harder than it looks.

Also, learn the basics of photoshop. 

These pics from Marineland and African Lion Safari.

Image9.jpg

IMG_8020.JPG

Image5.jpg

SpecOwl.jpg

Edited by Raycaster

misfish, I think mixed low lighting (tungsten/florescent etc.) plus the need for high speed shutter plus the need for good timing makes indoor gym shots tough.

Trying to get a good action shot eg. volleyball spike/block in a old high school gym really pushes a starting photographer with "starter" equipment.

5 minutes ago, Raycaster said:

misfish, I think mixed low lighting (tungsten/florescent etc.) plus the need for high speed shutter plus the need for good timing makes indoor gym shots tough.

Trying to get a good action shot eg. volleyball spike/block in a old high school gym really pushes a starting photographer with "starter" equipment.

You missed my humor. Sry bout that.

6 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

And some ‘river’ shots! :)

😁😁

4 minutes ago, Raycaster said:

I’m a little slow today misfish, shingling roof is killing me!

BTW, forgot how crummy photos are rendered on forum sites! My images were tack sharp but look muddy here...

Don’t worry, they look great. Misfish fishes rivers and his boots also get muddy, like his mind on occasion. 

I used to be a Nikon SLR guy.  Haven’t picked it up in years. My iPhone 6 takes great shots and video  in  80% of circumstances. It’s all about the light and a clean lens. The convenience and ability  to edit  quickly and easily then send it to anyone  on the spot makes it my go to camera. Looking at the iPhone 11 Pro now. 

8 minutes ago, mamona said:

Be careful with iPhone 11 Pro, apparently they have some display issues. I am not expert, I just heard about it.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/06/10/apple-iphone-11-pro-max-display-green-tint-ios-13-upgrade-problems/

Thanks for the heads up. Seems a legitimate problem, although sporadic.