Severn River scenic day trip ideas? (Or other trip suggestions)

Hack_Fisherman

Hey guys, I know this isn’t a fishing question but you guys seem to be in the know of Ontario waterways.

I would like to take my wife on a day long scenic river or shoreline cruise. We only have a 16’ boat so we need a place or places to stop along the way for a picnic lunch or dinner, washroom stop and dog breaks etc. (Towns, parks, crown land) We have a port-a-potti so stretches without stop points are not necessarily a deal breaker.  

I’m thinking of the Severn River between G.Bay and Sparrow or maybe the Trent system in Kawartha. We’re closer to G. Bay so that’s the preferred area. Open to further North in Muskoka or Parry Sound 

I don’t know if I’m comfy in out in Georgian Bay as our boat is quite old (don’t want to limp back on an 8hp kicker with weather approaching) and I’m concerned about water hazards. I just installed a helix 7 with nav, but I’m not experienced or confident enough in it yet. 

So looking for easy, protected and interesting. 

Open to suggestions on launch points, trip itinerary and points of interest. (And there might be a bit of fishing here and there)

thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, misfish said:

You could start in Orilla and work your way up to GBAY.  You will have many to follow. Lots of traffic and real nice people most times.

For less traffic you could start at Fort Severn and work your way up to Hudson's Bay 🤣

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, misfish said:

You could start in Orilla and work your way up to GBAY.  You will have many to follow. Lots of traffic and real nice people most times.

Thanks, I don’t know how much ground we can cover in a day. Actually, in a HALF day really, because we have to double back to the launch to go home. 

We have been talking about buying a big cruiser to do extended Trent Severn trips. But for now it has to be short excursions and I know NOTHING about these waterways and what to expect. Do you think we could do that hike and back without flying everywhere? I guess I was envisioning something like a really fast troll. The fastest maybe just on plane.

And is this a super dumb idea to do without a group tour when we’re in a 45 year old boat? I've run this motor for 3 years without trouble.