Sparrow lake launch access (or others) during covid?

Hack_Fisherman

Hey guys, anyone know if the public launch on Sparrow is open to out-of-towners right now?

We were passing through Orillia 2 weeks ago and tried to access the lakefront park to eat some ice cream and we were turned away as we were non-residents. 

I don’t want to tow my boat for 2 hours to find we can’t launch. 

For back up purposes, any other suggestions on places I can launch and find good fishing waters in case we’re turned away or there’s no parking left etc?

Driving up to another hour north isn’t out of the equation for quieter, better water and open access 

Thanks in advance

Right across Highway 11 is Kahshe Lake 

There is a public launch by Rockhaven Marina and pretty sure you can park at Rockhaven for a fee

note Kahshe is known for its rocks so if you do head out not a bad idea to check a map and or chat w folks at Rockhaven 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gordy28 said:

Right across Highway 11 is Kahshe Lake 

There is a public launch by Rockhaven Marina and pretty sure you can park at Rockhaven for a fee

note Kahshe is known for its rocks so if you do head out not a bad idea to check a map and or chat w folks at Rockhaven 

Thanks, I’ve been wondering about that lake since we stayed in the area last year. I’ve heard about the unmarked rocks so it makes me a bit nervous. I’m going to check and see if it’s a lake covered by navionics 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 8:36 AM, Hack_Fisherman said:

Thanks, I’ve been wondering about that lake since we stayed in the area last year. I’ve heard about the unmarked rocks so it makes me a bit nervous. I’m going to check and see if it’s a lake covered by navionics 

I’m sure the marina on sparrow would be happy for the $20.  I can’t see why not.  The public launch at the north end can be a challenge depending on the size of your boat when the water is low.  Be aware that on Kahshe navionics only has about 50 percent of the obstructions.  I’ve taken out 2 lower units and I’ve been on the lake for  almost 20 years and know it too well by now.  I proceed with caution unless I’m in water known to me.  The KLRA did not put out the  markers this year due to covid.  Good luck! 

Edited by porkpie
  • Thanks 1

On 8/9/2020 at 8:36 AM, Hack_Fisherman said:

Kahshe Lake is on both the Navionics charts and the Garmin LakeVu g3. It can be a little nerve racking but if you pay careful attention to your up-dated charts, you should be fine. don't venture into any sketchy looking areas on the charts, Stay out of the blue! Pretty good fishing in this lake!

• Thanks 1