Cardinal 4

2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I only have a couple of the 3 and will be keeping them.

They were "THE" steelheader's reel when I first started fishing for steelhead.  In the era before centre pin reels and float rods.............

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, akaShag said:

They were "THE" steelheader's reel when I first started fishing for steelhead.  In the era before centre pin reels and float rods.............

Yep , them and Daiwa SS Tournaments back in the days, even the Shakespeare 1810 closed face had a following.

8 hours ago, akaShag said:

When I started to get into the steelhead, it was the black Cardinal 3 that was the new must have. Guess I am not as old as you my friend. :dunno:

I had one old green 3. I bought it at a garage sale for $1. It was in a box of junk . I sold it months later for $350. Good luck getting that now.

Edited by misfish

1 hour ago, misfish said:

I use mine  casting for salmon and steelhead.

I had two of the Daiwa SS "Whisker" Tournament reels, both from Watson's Tackle House in Owen Sound.  The first one came in a box with only Japanese written on it, no English, and it was closing in on $200, that was a LOT of money for a fishing reel at the time!  Both mine completely wore out, but they were very high mileage reels...........

So back to the OP and his stash of Cardinal 4's!!!!!!!

Doug

On 8/13/2020 at 9:24 AM, dave524 said:

Yep , them and Daiwa SS Tournaments back in the days, even the Shakespeare 1810 closed face had a following.

1300’s are still the sh$&&$t.  My hardware rods still wear them.  I still have an SS700 on a pickerel jigging stick.  They are as good today as they where then.

On 8/14/2020 at 7:06 AM, Yellow Fever said:

I have a bunch of the 1810 reels to, they worked great on my noodle rod.

I tried them, couldn’t get used to it.  There was a dude that used to fish below the lamprey weir on Coburgh brook long before they made it a sanctuary.  I saw him using them a few times while fishing there and had to give it a try.  It was unique!

On 8/14/2020 at 7:06 AM, Yellow Fever said:

I have a bunch of the 1810 reels to, they worked great on my noodle rod.

First I saw them used for steelheading was an article by Dick Swann  " the father of noodle rods "  probably late 70's. I got one of the reissue ones with the black graphite body in the 80's, ran it at night on the float rod with glow stick floats after  a big mess in the dark with the centrepin. Also ran it a few times in the Whirlpool with slip floats, it was OK but never really liked the drag on it.

40 minutes ago, dave524 said:

First I saw them used for steelheading was an article by Dick Swann  " the father of noodle rods "  probably late 70's. I got one of the reissue ones with the black graphite body in the 80's, ran it at night on the float rod with glow stick floats after  a big mess in the dark with the centrepin. Also ran it a few times in the Whirlpool with slip floats, it was OK but never really liked the drag on it.

Dick Swann, there was a lovely man.  He was at the Toronto Sportsmen's Show at least once, and I think more than that, and he was happy to talk fishing with ANYBODY who dropped by, and to show off his noodle rods.  I fished with John Slade (whom I knew) and Dick one year on the Saugeen for a day, what an educational experience that was!  But he was not using a closed-face reel at the time, and if I had to guess it was probably a Zebco Cardinal 3...............

Kind of like the Cardinal 4s the OP has for sale!

Doug

49 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Dick Swann, there was a lovely man.  He was at the Toronto Sportsmen's Show at least once, and I think more than that, and he was happy to talk fishing with ANYBODY who dropped by, and to show off his noodle rods.  I fished with John Slade (whom I knew) and Dick one year on the Saugeen for a day, what an educational experience that was!  But he was not using a closed-face reel at the time, and if I had to guess it was probably a Zebco Cardinal 3...............

Kind of like the Cardinal 4s the OP has for sale!

Doug

Knew John pretty well , he did live just around the corner from me,  liked his steelhead articles when he wrote for Chronzy's rag . Think it was '89 he won the Star Salmon Derby and I had to drive past that 20 foot Wilker and Dodge pickup grand prize everyday going to work.

12 hours ago, dave524 said:

Knew John pretty well , he did live just around the corner from me,  liked his steelhead articles when he wrote for Chronzy's rag . Think it was '89 he won the Star Salmon Derby and I had to drive past that 20 foot Wilker and Dodge pickup grand prize everyday going to work.

I'm pretty sure John won the Salmon Hunt in 1985....

• Like 1