Long track snowmobile

Terry

I am looking to buy a long track snowmobile for ice fishing. I want it light  and dependable in all weather. So should I get a550 fan or the 600 4 stroke    The fan can run with little snow  . They start easy and easy to work on. But they are louder.  And poor mileage  but dependable as they get 

4 stroke not as loud great on gas.  but the heat exchanger needs lots of snow to keep cool 

so what would you buy if you were about to buy one.    Oh yeah skidoo 2021 tundras no longer have the 550 fan motor 

Well just a humble opinion, I would try and get a 550 Fan,  the way our winters are going, every year less and less snow.  If you're only using it on the ice, a good set or maybe double them up ice scratchers might do the trick with a 4 stroke liquid.

• Like 1

4 stroke more.reliable and much better than a 550 fan motor resale higher as well. As for cooling i have one the harder to keep cool 4 strokes and with the addition of lots of studs can run pretty much bare lake with no overheating of engine or sliders. Regardless of engine you need snow to lube slider rails also other tricks to get ice cystals spraying such as scratchers or putting a single stud through rear of a ski

2 hours ago, Terry said:

I have also had a flying stud  Poke a hole in a heat exchanger 

Had a rock do that on my big Yamaha 4 stroke.

Replacing the heat exchanger was not a fun job.

Book calls for 16 hours of labour to replace it.

I took my time over the summer. Had to almost completely disassemble the dang thing.

The only other issue I've had with my sled is the battery croaked this past winter. You would figure they would last longer then 12 years. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Terry said:

Yeah I have always used scratchers

and I have used a bolt through the back of the ski too

I have also had a flying stud  Poke a hole in a heat exchanger 

Me too! I welded it back up filled and bleed system been good since 2009

I don’t know, I really like fans And normally I’d say fan all day, but I run a 97 Polaris touring 500 liquid, with studded track and it’s able to run in most conditions without overheating. Got it cheap from my father in law and it’s been pretty good.  Hard to say.   

Since you're retired and pretty smart about vehicles why not get what I have. Old Skidoo Safari. 503 2 stroke with long and wide track. Circa 1984? Folks don't know about em but mine has pulled out stuck ATVs, big huts and didn't take much to replace all fuel lines and rubber intakes/exhaust 'manifolds'. Hey and when you park it nobody will want to steal it like the great equipment you got robbed of a while ago. You may even find some coins dropped onto the dash from pitying passer by's.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

not a bad idea 
If I got one with boggies instead of sliders then you need no snow at all 

I am only handy because I’m breaking stuff all the time.   I was hoping to take a break from fixing things by buy buying new lol 

Edited by Terry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/4/2020 at 6:50 PM, irishfield said:

I'll never give up my '98 x 500 Touring Fan

I would still have mine, if they didn't steal it and my Avalanche that the sled was sitting in. 

On 8/4/2020 at 4:55 PM, Terry said:

UTVadoo May make an appearance 

but I had a lot of last winter I could not run

Same thing for me last year. I didn't dare take the Suzuki out on Simcoe. I ended up going to Nipissing; so I could try Sally out on the ice.

thumbnail_IMG_0156.jpg.e37b0bb5867f58ab7c9d11cb77616769.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0157.jpg.36b30d0e779942f1f18bd334b422942a.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...