My rookie season on Lake Ontario isn't pretty...

Raycaster

I finally have a boat to take on Lake Ontario on nice days so being 20 minutes from launch I'm dreaming!

I am usually a pike/bass/wally guy so fishing in 120fow has been a eye opener for sure.

After watching 100 hours of salmon/trout trolling on Lake Ontario I'm still 0-4 on trips so far.

I have my eye on a Fish Hawk TD because I have no real idea how deep the dispys are running and water temperature would be nice.

I have a few line counter rods with 20-40lb mono that I'm not even sure would set the dispys off.

My downrigger weight is too light (3-5lbs?) so I just can't setup properly. At 2.4mph I can't see the ball on sonar as it drags way back because its too light.

I have 3 questions to ask the pros.

1) Do most people go wire with dipsys and does it make a big difference?

2) I have 3 dipsy "0" ( 1 with a ring) and have them out around 125ft - 175ft with a flasher and spoon etc. but not sure how deep they are running. I think the fish hawk would let me fine tune and figure out proper line lengths.

3) I have been setting up above the thermocline but when I see a few BIG arcs at 75ft down should I target that? I see lots of bait and small arcs above the thermo but nothing huge.

Sorry to throw everything up at once, just hoping to have some success.

thx ahead.

Edited by Raycaster

Best thing you could do is Book a day with a smaller charter/guide.

It'll take years off the learning curve .  Buddy of mine started 5 years ago , invested in a few trips with a Legit guide and so far this year he's cashed a few cheques in the Silver Salmon series .

• Like 2

You're right in that mono is a waste effort on a dipsy.  Wire line will do the trick and will manage fleas much better than braid.

A fish hawk td will allow you to know the depth and temp that your dipsy is working.

You won't necessarily mark all the fish on your 'finder' that you hook up to.  I suggest that you continue to work bait clouds.

Fish before sunrise if you can. Often the bite dies by 9 am. 

For sure your ball is too light. 

Offer flies, spoons and meat.  

Different depths. 

Darker spoons tend to be better.  

If the salmon bite is poor or it’s later in the morning head out to the “Blue Zone”  The bows are fun too.  Not as deep  

Keep an eye on spoonpullers.com. North shore reports. 

036BC81B-948C-4056-B0F1-B1FBEFD1FA28.jpeg

Edited by captpierre
  • Like 2

30lb mono for the riggers, 65lb braid for the dipsys, you'll want at least a 10-15lb ball, don't over think it, it's not rocket science.  

Figure out one thing at a time, don't try to do everything while you're out there at once.  Definitely read the reports on Spoonpullers, great resource lots of guys willing to help out.

If you see big marks that's where your bait needs to be.   Longer into the season the faster the speeds and the bigger the bait.  

Thank you for all the replies.

I generally have been going out at 7am on non-wind days.

i have tried spoon, flies and meat.

I think the fish hawk will zero in on the depths with dipseys.

if I get the downrigger set I can stack 2 on that by myself.

I have been reading all the updates on spoonpullers also.

I will next time get out at 5am with a heavy weight and try to respool some rods.

I have been targeting with the bait fish but those HUGE marks at 75 or deeper are very tempting! 

no offense to the hardcore guys here...but I have found fishing for salmon, lakers and rainbows not rocket science. To at least have some success is not too difficult. I am new to the game as well, just decided to "give it a shot" a couple years ago and I catch a bunch almost every time out. I have no down riggers either...just catch em on dipsys. First tip is DEFINITELY scrap the mono on dipsy rod! I learned that one the hard way. I use 65 lb or 80 lb braid to the dipsy, then have a leader of 25lb mono from dipsy to spoon. The leader is about 8 feet long I would say. Pretty sure the dipsy you have is the one that only goes 25 or 30 feet down. You have to buy the size that goes down 50 feet. If you can get your hands on a magnum dipsy grab one of those as well. They go down to 100 feet. Need a pretty heavy duty rod for that guy. I agree with fish early. Usually go from just after sunrise to about 10:30 am, however, a couple days ago I decided to try the late afternoon bit instead. Turns out that works as well. We fished not too far from Grimsby from 5 pm to 8:30 pm in around 120 feet of water. Went 4 for 7 trolling spoons behind dipsys at 2.7 mph. 4 for 7 is a fairly common result for me, a guy who doesn't have a clue and no fancy equipment. The dialed in guys who have knowledge and gear would do better than that. Keep at it! I also have had success trolling a spoon with 325 feet of mono out, where I attach a 5 oz weight at the top of the leader. I have no clue how deep that gets me but it ain't bouncing off bottom and it gets me fish!

couple more things...like you I do usually run dipsys around 125 to 175 feet back (the ones on the setting that pulls to the side are the ones 175 feet back). I noticed you run the spoon with a flasher. I sometimes run a flasher with a fly, but when I run a spoon I just run it straight back of the dipsy...nothing fancy at all! Not sure why I do it that way, but it has worked. I think I have been out 3 times this year. The first 2 times the flasher/fly didn't get hit at all, so last time I just went all spoons and that went fine. If you can, bring a friend! Gets more lines in the water (plus its safer too)

No downriggers? https://www.precisiontrollingdata.com/

Strategies: http://www.bluehorizonsportfishing.net/Keating-on-Kings.html

Wind direction is key. Of all the go / no-go input factors, wind direction is #1

and yes, on the right day anyone can catch 'em. all day long. Don't be discouraged - I've been out with the best charter capts and seen them struggle - 3 in an 8 hour day (I know, I'm blessed), and the same guy slam them all day long. 

FWIW  my biggest fish hit on a bright sunny day after 12:00 noon with almost no wind.......and the 2nd biggest after noon on a semi overcast day with no wind.  Time on the water.

just cruising by, BB.......winds 

30ish.jpg

DSCF1129 (2).jpg

• Like 1

BillM, I actually have 2 old downriggers on “permanent loan”.

1 has a head on it missing parts so the wire jumps out and I only have a 3lb ball so the units have been kicking my butt so far. I had a ball running 50ft behind the boat at 2.2mph and wire jumping off and the wire singing so loud I had to ABORT the downrigger trials. The ball was so light with a flasher I couldn’t even tighten the lines properly for a nice Rod arc.

I swapped parts to get 1 unit working 100% and a 10lb ball is on its way. I’m very close to getting it fine tuned ready for action. I have to adjust rod holders in the boat also but very close. My last concern is the wire seems “loopy” and should be replaced also. The wallet slows down the fixes but it will get done.

I have a second release to stack 2 lines so I am close.

If stacking with a 15-20 ft to difference to avoid tangles would you have the first line deep (eg. 70ft where I saw huge marks) and 1 line above thermocline (eg. 30ft)?

Every video keeps repeating to find 42 to 48 degrees and setup there but I have seen Huge arcs at 70. These arcs are big and show nice thick profiles with colouring compared to the usual thin arcs above.

Fish those archs!!!    You should be able to pick up a manual set of Big Jons or similar.  Even old downriggers will work just fine (Some of the old stuff is better made then the new stuff).   Get some 12lb balls and you'll be all set.

• Like 1

Hello Raycaster. I just sold my salmon boat and have a used fishawk for sale. I also have anything you could possibly need for salmon fishing, Downriggers manual and auto, rods,  weights dips eyes lures, hooks. If interested, [email protected] Newcastle area I've salmon fished for over 50 yrs so I have lots of free advice as well.

regards, Marty

• Like 4

I agree you dont have to have the most advanced equipment.  My friend and I fish from a seadoo speedster boat with manual downriggers.  Its a pretty rustic setup but works. first time we ever went out, we tried the 50/50 method.  We were clueless on what were doing, but hooked into 2  8 lb rainbows that morning.  Since then, we have gotten some better equipment, but from our experience, keeping it simple works best.

2 weeks ago, hooked into a 18 lb salmon which was running on manual downrigger with a 4 lb weight.  didnt have a line counter, but estimated it was running at 30 feet.

Raycaster, where do you launch from?  I don't own a boat, but have some experience going out with friends on their boats. I am very observant and have learnt over the last two years of fishing Lake ontario on generally what works.

If you wish, I can join you and share whatever little I have learnt.  Last 2 trips out, we caught 3 of 6 on one trip and 6 of 8 on another.

I also have some proven flies and spoons that one of the my more serious fisherman friend gave me that we can use.

Let me know.

salmon.jpg

salmon 2.jpg

Edited by huzzsaba
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MartyP said:

Hello Raycaster. I just sold my salmon boat and have a used fishawk for sale. I also have anything you could possibly need for salmon fishing, Downriggers manual and auto, rods,  weights dips eyes lures, hooks. If interested, [email protected] Newcastle area I've salmon fished for over 50 yrs so I have lots of free advice as well.

regards, Marty

The  advice is the most valuable of the lot! 

3 minutes ago, misfish said:

Are these 7, knock offs or lost fish hooked ? I do not count knock offs,never have . LOL

Nice morning Rog.

no I count "knock offs"...but since I am only using dipsys I guess they aren't really knock offs...just a screaming drag for a second or the rod bouncing  around. Makes my hooking percentage look pretty bad I guess! As far as fish that were hooked that was 5 for 8.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

no I count "knock offs"...but since I am only using dipsys I guess they aren't really knock offs...just a screaming drag for a second or the rod bouncing  around. Makes my hooking percentage look pretty bad I guess! As far as fish that were hooked that was 5 for 8.

Got to tighten that drag. LOL

I have been finally sitting on the bank here hot shoting a Kwik fish. The drag is at max, til after the hit, then adjust. Yup,their up already. 👍

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1