Orillia Launch & Park

cheaptackle

I was against this until I saw with my own eyes how many were abusing the beaches and launches.  It may seem extreme but compared to the potential pandemic spread and all the clean up required afterward I'm not so sure it's that bad.  Mr. Ford calls it gouging, but again who pays the costs?  I'm not posting this here for any other reason than to pass on the word that if Orillia (or Barrie or ...?) may be a destination of choice y'all better prepare a higher budget!

Michael

https://www.orilliamatters.com/coronavirus-covid-19-local-news/new-beach-parking-measures-are-effective-city-officials-say-2599839

1 hour ago, Fisherman said:

It's outright gouging doesn't matter how you look at it.   If they want to reduce the influx, then make it for residents only.  No exchange of money required.

That would have been a better plan in a lot of ways.  Of course, if everybody just stayed in their home areas voluntarily then there wouldn't be a problem.  It's a real catch 22, no way everyone is gonna be happy with any rule or law that keeps them from what they want to do - well thought out or not!  

I don’t think it will for Barrie or Orillia they do a lot of tourism so it will be in their best interest to lower them after Covid 

but not Innisfil , they make very little tourist money  no motels or hotels or paid attractions. So people come with gas tanks full and coolers full of food.  For the most part they loose money on out of towners or break even and business make nothing 

Don’t know about Friday Harbour  it is an community within it’s self  and time will tell if it has any benefits for Innisfil 

I have been coming to Innisfil for years and only moved here a while  ago and never had anyone unfriendly to me of course like most I didn’t have any interaction with locals so didn’t know how they felt.   But yeah when out of town people crowd their local beaches with zero local benefit, I can see them pissed 

Theres a sucker born every minute. If you are dumb enough in Ontario of all places to pay that much to go to a lake, you deserve to be robbed...Enough said lol

We live in the best place to freshwater fish in the world, where 90+% of our lakes have easy free access. Dont like it, go somewhere else.

If you dont want to put the effort into finding free access, then pay the piper. Time is money.

Edited by AKRISONER

Orillia could not simply close the waterfront. They would face outrage from their own residents, as previously mentioned. Secondly, closing public beaches without closing the public marina and ramps would be seen as discriminatory. Third,chasing away the tourists completely would cripple their tourist based economy.

3 hours ago, bigugli said:

Orillia could not simply close the waterfront. They would face outrage from their own residents, as previously mentioned. Secondly, closing public beaches without closing the public marina and ramps would be seen as discriminatory. Third,chasing away the tourists completely would cripple their tourist based economy.

Well Barrie closed the Tiffin St boat launch and parking area to non residents,  Innisfil did the same including the park and beach.

35 minutes ago, Terry said:

Innisfil never closed the park to non residents except when it was closed to everyone 

however they did close all municipal parking lots to non residents but the parks remained to all 

Ok, I bit my tongue.

Where is the information showing it's "out-of-towners" that have put these area's numbers over the top? These municipalities have jacked their prices (for outsiders) and the lots are busy and the beaches crowded. That's locals crowding. Municipalities have lots millions in taxes and are clawing it back $50 at a time. The flip side is then there are less customers for all those businesses that rely on them to pay rent and taxes.

• Like 1

WOW!  All I was trying to do was inform the members of the policies put in place around here so there'd be no surprises if they do travel this way!  Whatta canna worms!  Didn't mean for this to get so political but I guess I wasn't aware of how poorly this would be taken.

Michael

2 hours ago, cheaptackle said:

WOW!  All I was trying to do was inform the members of the policies put in place around here so there'd be no surprises if they do travel this way!  Whatta canna worms!  Didn't mean for this to get so political but I guess I wasn't aware of how poorly this would be taken.

Michael

Welcome to the post Covid world

On 7/30/2020 at 10:05 PM, kickingfrog said:

Where is the information showing it's "out-of-towners" that have put these area's numbers over the top? These municipalities have jacked their prices (for outsiders) and the lots are busy and the beaches crowded. That's locals crowding. Municipalities have lots millions in taxes and are clawing it back $50 at a time. The flip side is then there are less customers for all those businesses that rely on them to pay rent and taxes.

Go down to the waterfront today and see how much of that is local crowding :)   It's not.  Still out of towners, you think they care about the $100 they're going to drop when they've got nothing else to do?     

On 8/1/2020 at 1:20 PM, kickingfrog said:

I drive by twice every work day. What evidence is there of it being the out of towners? The city has been asked the same question. The city's has not answered.

The city is probably trying to formulate an answer that's not going to offend anyone :)

Edited by BillM