abs fuse on a 2005 sierra

Hi everyone

I have a 2005 sierra 1500 crew cab  I had the brakes checked three months ago and pads and rotors are fine .  But the abs is acting up and GM up here wants a stupid amount of money to look at it in the thousands.  I was told a  few years ago that a a friend of the neighbour had the same problem and he simply pulled the abs fuse and it solved the problem.  I have looked in the manual but am not clear which one it is.  the neighbour has since moved  Can someone please help  Dan D maybe your reading this.  Thank you for your help

Probably just a faulty sensor in one of the wheels. I’ve had the same problem with my 05 Silverado. The sensor either needs adjustment or replaced. On mine, as you slow and are about to come to a stop, the abs kicks in because the sensor stops picking up the wheel rotation and thinks it’s locked up. It will also cause an abs warning light.

Edited by Old Man

Get an OBD reader with ABS code reading and then you can figure out what wheel bearing and or ABS sensor is acting up to then inspect it and or replace it.  Most common issue for the ABS light and or Stabilitrak light is as I mentioned.  

Any shop worth going to will get the code from an OBD scan tool, check the code and then physically inspect where said code is telling them to look for issues.  

3 hours ago, mr blizzard said:

Hi everyone

I have a 2005 sierra 1500 crew cab  I had the brakes checked three months ago and pads and rotors are fine .  But the abs is acting up and GM up here wants a stupid amount of money to look at it in the thousands.  I was told a  few years ago that a a friend of the neighbour had the same problem and he simply pulled the abs fuse and it solved the problem.  I have looked in the manual but am not clear which one it is.  the neighbour has since moved  Can someone please help  Dan D maybe your reading this.  Thank you for your help

If i recall the ABS fuse is in the Underhood fuse panel. Your problem is more than likely a front wheel bearing gone south. I had a seirra and as much as it was a comfortable truck bearings were common enough issue .

Pulling the fuse will also cause other systems to work incorrectly like the auto 4wd and traction control (if equipped) even mess with integrated trailer controller (if equipped) best to get it checked and remedied

Glad to have you back Mr Blizzard (Albert, Woody town) have no clue on what you are having problems with. Say dog sled could help?  Just kidding man. My mechanic closed is shop after  33 years today. I was a client for 30. A true friend, better than my doctor. He would bend  over backwards helping with repairs to make sure it was done right and cost effective. I will miss him. 
Now to find another when my Jeep gets older. 

Thank you ketchenany ecmilley GBW and Old Man for your advice and tips. The sensors are supposedly fine, the dealership says it is some electronic module and they want $4000 to fix it which I think is plain stupid, the truck is in awesome shape with new brake and gas lines new ball joints tie rods etc

There must be a cheap way to bypass this as mentioned the rotors and pads are also like new.  I have heard some Ford trucks have an over ride switch. however mine does not being a sierra

7 hours ago, mr blizzard said:

The sensors are supposedly fine, the dealership says it is some electronic module and they want $4000 to fix it which I think is plain stupid

based on the price point the ECM (electronic controle module) is what they are saying is at fault and yeah it's the brains of the truck and costly...  

7 hours ago, mr blizzard said:

Thank you ketchenany ecmilley GBW and Old Man for your advice and tips. The sensors are supposedly fine, the dealership says it is some electronic module and they want $4000 to fix it which I think is plain stupid, the truck is in awesome shape with new brake and gas lines new ball joints tie rods etc

There must be a cheap way to bypass this as mentioned the rotors and pads are also like new.  I have heard some Ford trucks have an over ride switch. however mine does not being a sierra

After repairing a few million of these trucks it is possible that the module is bad. But more than likely its a green wire in the system check by frame.rail under drivers door couplemconnectors and an abs module look for swollen.broken.wires undo connectors check for corrosion

On 7/27/2020 at 9:02 PM, ecmilley said:

If i recall the ABS fuse is in the Underhood fuse panel. Your problem is more than likely a front wheel bearing gone south. I had a seirra and as much as it was a comfortable truck bearings were common enough issue .

Pulling the fuse will also cause other systems to work incorrectly like the auto 4wd and traction control (if equipped) even mess with integrated trailer controller (if equipped) best to get it checked and remedied

When you say the bearing has gone south I take it you mean the built in sensor is shot but the bearing itself is still good. I've had an 01 Sierra 4x4  for some time and have had to replace a few over the years, but it was always the sensor except for the first time. Now I just put up with the abs dash light.

So when you mentioned system check I take it it senses an open circuit on start up and flashes the error. And If I have it right it's a 2 wire run along the frame to where it connects to the abs module with some sort of connector. Good to know, I'll have to give those a check. Tks.

Is it the dash warning light(s) you’re trying to turn off? If so pulling a fuse will not do that for you. The dash is looking for an all’s well signal from the BCM via the serial data circuit and then the light will go out. 
A piece of black tape over the light is the most cost effective solution. lol  Now if the ABS system is coming on falsely unplugging any part of the system (wheel speed sensor) that will disable the system but the light will still be on 

Dan 

2 hours ago, DanD said:

A piece of black tape over the light is the most cost effective solution.

Buddy's Dodge Ram's engine light came on 6 months into ownership. After numerous trips to the dealer, solution that lasted more than a decade was to put black electrical tape on the instrument panel lens!!!!!

Just be sure not to get glossy tape! LOL

HH

• Haha 1

Hi DanD

the abs light on the dash never comes on, the only thing that happens is when u are slowly coming up to a stop sign red light or parking spot always under 10 kilometers per hour the brakes act as if they are on a patch of ice in the winter that sort of surging effect,  I can not afford 4 grande could u go over again in a bit more detail what a simple way is to de activate the abs.  The rotors are in mint shape as well as pads.  This does not occur at higher speeds.

Thank you

So your front sensors are F'd and it thinks the wheels are locked and releases the brakes. Typical GM safety issue and you'd better be ready at times to throw it in reverse before you get the guy at the lights in front of you. Pull the fuse.. I believe it's a 50 amp. If your hubs bearings aren't gone, which is a usual cause, but the '98/20 sensors always went bad on their own with hubs still good. I presume it's been on a hoist and the front wheel/hub assembly have had the wobble test. I've been driving my GMC plow truck that way for over a decade, put the fuse back in = no brakes.

Edited by irishfield
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1