Tilt to starboard side on 2003 Legend Xcite 164

Raycaster

I ended up with a used 2003 Legend Xcite 164 (16ft Aluminum) this summer and fairly happy.

Of course with all used boats there are expected problems and mine is that the boat leans to starboard pretty good.

I have 2 trolling batteries (27s) in the front left and try to pile everything to counter the lean but its still prominent.

Nothing looked out of whack on the boat or hull and beside my 200lb  I could never figure out the tilt.

Well, I may have found it. I usually try to balance the boat and even sit on the edge of the seat to flatten out boat but flying out the other day I just put up with the lean and flew out towards the skyway. Half way there I noticed I was taking on an unusual amount of water. Long story short, went home , filled boat with some water to test and notice a slight leak along a bend in the front starboard side.Repaired with Marine JBWeld (I know not permanent) but looks decent.

Okay, story getting long... My main reason to post this is does anyone support my reasoning that due to this gash the foam has become waterlogged on the starboard side causing the tilt? I've heard waterlogged foam can add 100 or 200lbs easily. Nothing else with the boat structure looks like it would cause the tilt so this may be it?

Now the million dollar question... Has anyone dismantled a 2003 16' legend to get at the foam? The one thing that I really liked about the boat is the floor is screwed in (very few rivets) and all metal besides tops. It looks like I can be done over the winter but having someone that has done this already would give me some confidence it can be done.

The boat is bone dry right now in the driveway but I think 90% of all articles I have read say only ripping it out will fix it and 1000 fans won't do it.

20200722_122428.jpg

17 minutes ago, Raycaster said:

Nothing looked out of whack on the boat or hull and beside my 200lb  I could never figure out the tilt.

A 16' Legend isn't a very big boat and if your in the boat by yourself your 200lbs will definitely throw the boat over to the right side. 

It could very well be wet foam but I'm guessing it may just be your own weight all on one side plus the added weight of the steering console that's causing the issue.

• Thanks 1

I have a similar boat (06) with a similar problem but I don't take on much water that I'm aware of. Had it sitting for a week up at the cottage and every day was dry. But the lean is very prominent. Gas and battery go on the opposite side. 

Thank you for replies guys.

OK, I won't tackle that right away and will see if the "fix" settles things.

Yes, I should of mentioned the XCite 164 is not a Deep V boat so not much depth under floor for sure.

Also didn't mention I usually have livewell empty (port side) which would add weight also for balance.

The Legend does look like the floor is removable as the center metal panel is accessible. I could remove that but boat lower frame may block off from each side probably. I could easily just cut a nice square patch out of the front starboard storage floor to look below, its directly above fixed leak.

Big thanks to members here as hearing someone with comparable situations or experience can REALLY calm a "New to Me" boat owner.

Edited by Raycaster

No it does not level out unless an adult sit front port side.

Moving battery to port side really isn't an option as the gas tank sit back port side.

Would love to move main battery to front storage but wiring might be prohibitive.

I probably will move trolling motor to left but probably not a huge change as the head balances it out.

20200726_153507.jpg

20200726_153519.jpg

Edited by Raycaster

I have my 2000 17" Legend taken apart at a marina last fall to have 11 rivets replaced. I was told up front that cutting out the old floatation will be a big part of the labour because it is spray foam which adheres to the honeycomb pattern of supports under the hull. The total bill was $5,000 which included replacing the floatation foam, flooring and carpet. There was 90 hours of labour in total.

I know yours is a crack and not rivets but just giving you an idea of what was involved.

MisFish I totally agree that I have no idea how long that hole has been there.

The previous owner warned me that it had a tilt but its still 50/50 if he knew about the damage.

A more diligent buyer would of seen that but its a lesson learned and no use dwelling on it.

Cast-Away thanks for the heads up. The floor and console look removable easily enough if it gets worse or I get bored. I'm heading to Balsam for a week in August with the boat in the water for a week. That will help the decision also as sitting in the water may highlight any other problem or if my patch was unsuccessful. The front right storage is directly above the patch so I would be able to get at the area (cut square patch out) and remove insulation from that pocket and patch from inside.

I will keep an eye on it, drive with a full livewell and switch trolling motor side.

I think Lew's suggestion that there really isn't a ton of foam down there to cause a massive weight shift and Leaf4 noting that this lean may be design related and normal will slow down my attack mode of pulling the boat apart asap and I will wait and see. The Balsam trip may provide some answers.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

37 minutes ago, Raycaster said:

I think Lew's suggestion that there really isn't a ton of foam down there to cause a massive weight shift

Sorry Raycaster but that's not what I was implying, I was just suggesting on smaller side console boats that one person sitting behind the wheel will definitely cause it to lean that way.

My Bro in Law had a similar size Legend and it leaned like yours from Day 1.

Edited by lew

I'm surprised with the amount of battery you have in there running a 25. I am desperately wanting to swap the 25 for a 50 because I can reach max of 20mph in it, less with the trolling motor and battery in the front. 

In the middle of upgrading to a larger house so don't feel like shelling out the cash for one at the moment when I know I'll have a bunch of moving expenses lol

I'm getting 22mph max on calm water, 20 with a passenger. Compared with my old pontoon with a 30hp I am lightning fast now! The boat has a Canadian rating of 40hp max and US 50hp max. I may grumble later but coming from a old pontoon boat I'm happy with the speed.

I may get 2 more batteries for the trolling motor as the 80 Minn Kota lasts about 90mins at 2.2-2.4mph for trolling on Lake Ontario. There is a battery tray between the 2 middle storage (under pedestal support) so maybe 1 there and 1 to the left side of the front middle storage.

Edited by Raycaster
learning to spell

1 minute ago, Raycaster said:

I'm getting 22mph max on calm water, 20 with a passenger. Compared with my old pontoon with a 30hp I am lightning fast now! The boat has a Canadian rating of 40hp max and US 50hp max. I may grumble later but coming from a old pontoon boat I'm happy with the speed.

I may get 2 more batteries for the trolling motor as the 80 Minn Kota lasts about 90mins at 2.2-2.4mph for trolling on Lake Ontario. There is a battery tray between the 2 middle storages so maybe 1 there and 1 to the left side of the front middle storage.

That's funny, I have a 50hp rating for Canada and 55 for the US. And yeah I'm typically 20 with a passenger, I've been up to 24 but that was an empty boat just emergency gear and myself lol. Still not fast enough I'd like to get 30-35 as some areas of quinte I fish there's opportunity to go far depending on what I'm targeting.

5 hours ago, Raycaster said:

I may get 2 more batteries for the trolling motor as the 80 Minn Kota lasts about 90mins at 2.2-2.4mph for trolling on Lake Ontario. There is a battery tray between the 2 middle storage (under pedestal support) so maybe 1 there and 1 to the left side of the front middle storage.

How old are the batteries?  90 minutes seems pretty short even at high power.  

6 hours ago, Raycaster said:

The term Trolling motor is really a misnomer for electric motors, they were made more a positioning motors.  Your little outboard should troll as slow as you need and use very little fuel at those speeds 

The 27s are 2016 and I think 90 minutes is about right as its probably pulling close to 50Amps at 8 or 9. On can go a whole week on Balsam just holding position etc. but keeping between 2.2 and 3mph on Lake Ontario does pull some juice.

I find my 25hp struggles to stay under 3mph but I'm just still learning the ins and outs of the boat. Actual used a drift sock last time out to slow down.

Terry you are probably 100% right.

When I got it I replaced plugs, oil, oil filter, lower gear oil and fuel filter.

Haven't done impeller but its on my list.

A tech tuneup in the fall is probably a great idea. I still never resolved the disconnected 2 wires but that's a different thread and that tech tuneup would fix that too.

BTW, Its a 2004 Mercury 25hp 4 Stroke Big Foot. I only have had a 1982 Yamaha 30hp 2 Stroke to compare.

20200602_203703_HDR.jpg

Edited by Raycaster

On 7/26/2020 at 6:26 PM, cisco said:

Try it with the livewell full. Maybe the design is taking this into account. I'd sure try this before removing the floors and foam.  

After reading Lew's post that his relative had same issue from new with a similar boat you should do as stated above to see if it's a design thing. A livewell full is a couple hundred pounds. And your live well is on the high side. When full it simply has to make the boat more level.