Boat Ramps on Temagami and Marten Lakes?

Speo

I was wondering if there are any public ramps and parking on Temagami and Marten lakes. 

I am thinking to access Lake Temagami from Lake Temagami Access road and I can see some ramps on Google Maps, but I am not sure if they are public or if there is parking available in the area.

For Marten Lake, I was told there is a ramp on Marten Lake Road, but I could not figure out where.

Any help is appreciated. 

If you decide to launch at the end of the Temagami Lake access road be sure to take at least 2 gallons of water with you to leave in the car. This is for when you come back to your vehicle, that will be parked about 2 miles down the road from the launch, to get the dust off your windshield so you can see to drive. If you park in a residents #'d parking spot or the reserves private lot on the North side you will be ticketed, towed or worse by the owner of the stall you took.

This may also be the last year for non residents/tax payers to use the ramps for free, or park for free. Most bring everything with them and don't even know the way into town so add no economic value to the Municipality and the majority have had enough. The Municipality and Band Council are currently working together to form a corporation to control the end of the road.

The better approach IMHO is to come into town, forget the 45 minutes of beating your stuff up on the road to the hub. Launch your boat for free beside Temagami Outfitters (turn left at the gas station, then 2 buildings over). Tie your boat to the far end of the dock, go park your truck/trailer over the tracks behind the train station, walk back and hit the LCBO and grocery store on the way back to your boat via Wildflower Drive that will take you right back to the ramp.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply irish, I just returned from Temagami and read your reply.

You mentioned "the majority have had enough". Enough of what? There is a ramp that can be used by the public for free after beating up their stuff on a 16 km dusty road for 45 minutes. I apologise for my ignorance, but what is the "majority" ? and why is this majority unhappy with the fact that people are parking for free on the side of a dusty road in the middle of nowhere? Do they want to charge a fee for parking on that dusty road, 2 miles from the ramp, or are they planning to build a nice parking facility there, that will justify a fee ?

In my opinion, starting to charge for the ramp that was already there for free for so many years and for parking on the actual road as is, does not look like a move towards improving things.

Edited by Speo
  • Like 1

Many actually want a fee charged to simply use the road, that costs us tax payers huge amounts of money to maintain and nobody actually even knows who owns the road. The road was supposed to be removed after the copper mine closed on Temagami Island 40 or so years ago, but of course too many cottagers and Band members got use to it being there. My personal opinion is the road should be totally removed considering the land use fights that are going on. Then people will once again have to come to town and support the municipality that for all intensive purposes is bankrupt.

As for the free launch, everyone of them is free in the municipality at the current time. Compare that to most other communities these days, especially with "covid control" going on. Why I said come to town so you didn't have to beat your boat up on that road, hope you put a sock on your transducer! The town was once a booming place, even quite lively when we came to the lake in 2004, but you can hear a cat fart in the daytime in town now.! :D

Nothing to do with Covid. The majority of the locals and cottagers don't even support the grocery store and instead drive all the way to Liskeard for same. Instead of buying from the local Home Hardware lumber yard they order from Rona in Liskeard and have it delivered to town. The only places making money are the LCBO and the gas station. Most lodges have been sold once, if not twice, in the past 10 years as well. A major issue was past councils bowing to an American run lake association, their "not in my back yard antics" and their back room deals. Hopefully current council can get the Municipality back on track.

That’s sad to hear...

Small town Canada is what this country is all about; supporting local business and being independent of big box and big towns allows them to keep their identity. I always appreciated the fact that the masses tend to venture no further than about 250km North, leaving the ‘true North’ to guys like us. But maybe that just kills towns like Temagami while places like Huntsville are hijacked/overwhelmed by tourists. Seeing old photos of Model T’s making the treacherous drive to places like Temagami almost 100 years ago blows me away...almost as much as it blows me away how few make the drive up today

• Like 1