Fish Identification help!

Ferna299

18 hours ago, Ferna299 said:

Good day, 

I need help in identifying these fish that I caught in the St. Lawrence River! Other fishermen on the dock nearby say they are Carp but I am not so sure.

20200613_155820.jpg

20200717_194820.jpg

Whats the limit on unknown species?  I'm confused.

3 hours ago, singingdog said:

There isn't a limit on unknown species. If you can't ID, you shouldn't keep it. 

I was being my usual sarcastic self.  If you don't know species your retaining to keep and consume  it's probably best you throw it back. No different then poaching IMO.

• Like 1

Unquestionably, fallfish as many have noted.  The biggest of the three is a dandy.

A fellow who used to belong to a fish and game club in which I was also a member fished for fallfish and ate them.  He poached them in water and claimed the flesh was as sweet as trout.  I did not try them.

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

Crap, eeerrr Carp. Actually neither. I am proud to say I don't know what they are and never caught one before. Many similar are in the Ontario guide and are members of the sucker family. My 2 buddies were proud to bring back 2 /6 fish limits of them back in the early 80's when us citiots bought a hunt and fish camp on Crown Land in 1982. They thought they were Whitefish, at least I knew they weren't Whitefish, they were some type of suckers. How would they even know what a limit of Whitefish was? 

Never ever heard of a Fallfish. 

12 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Crap, eeerrr Carp. Actually neither. I am proud to say I don't know what they are and never caught one before. Many similar are in the Ontario guide and are members of the sucker family. My 2 buddies were proud to bring back 2 /6 fish limits of them back in the early 80's when us citiots bought a hunt and fish camp on Crown Land in 1982. They thought they were Whitefish, at least I knew they weren't Whitefish, they were some type of suckers. How would they even know what a limit of Whitefish was? 

Never ever heard of a Fallfish. 

Here you go, OIM:

https://www.unb.ca/research/institutes/cri/links/inlandfishesnb/Species/fallfish.html

Doug

16 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Thanks Doug, I did Google it and to my surprise there is such a thing as a Fallfish. An overgrown chub to me. And here I thought I knew everything there was to know when it came to stuff. 

Yes, it looks exactly like an overgrown creek chub.