Best way to exterminate Mud Wasps

When I bought this lake front cottage 23 years ago it came with a hoard of Mud Wasps, also known as Mud Daubers down south. They chew up soft wood and regurgitate it to build their hives. They were everywhere. In between the wall studs were nests or hives as high as 5' in between the 2x4's. We had to use shovels to clean them all out. When the cottage was gutted back to dimensional lumber I had it sprayed by a pro exterminator. I have not seen a wasp since. In the last week there are 6 or more wasps flying around at any given time. They are so dozy all you need to do is pick them up by hand with a tissue and throw them out the door. They don't sting, or haven't stung us, ever. I haven't been given any definite advise from Home Hardware or the folks at CTC for what to use and how to get rid of them for good. I thought for sure TSC would have an answer, no such luck. The Pro's are taking about a 4 day plan including us staying away for 48 hours, no pets for 5 full days and a invoice of nearly a grand, that would be almost $1000.00 and no guarantee, oh my.  Why they have shown up after 23 years is strange. I will ask my neighbors if I see them.  My neighbors are unique. 1 has a 5th wheel set up in a park with a small man made lake about 1.5 hrs drive away that they travel with in the winter and  the other lives about 1/2 hr away on a farm and hasn't spent a single night here in at least 5 years. It makes for quiet times here but makes me wonder if it's me!!! My wife says it might just be I. 

Any advice from you folks here? 
Thanks Johnny D. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

42 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

They are so dozy all you need to do is pick them up by hand with a tissue and throw them out the door.

There is your problem right there. Why release ? Just squeeze them and flush them.  Get out there and WHACK, WHACK, WHACK THEM. 

Watch where they are going. Once you find a hole, chew some mint bubble gum, ( double bubble is the best ), roll into a ball and stuff in the hole they are going in .  After that, grab a piece of tissue and wet it with gin. Lay over the gum . If it does not want to stay attached to the gum, remove gum, chew more and repeat from the beginning.  If the tissue still does not hold,just stick tissue in mouth,suck the gin from it. No sense wasting good gin. Well,if there is such a thing as good gin . ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:oops:

Had ya til the end, I know it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL

• Like 1

Ok, I can never see which way a  thing can go with you brudder. Serious, not serious. Who  knows?????

I'll take the advice with more than a grain of salt. Now why would I want to whack a wasp that did notin' to me. Doesn't owe me money, didn't mess around with my lady or any of me brudders ladies, notin'. Now why would we whack that person? If that were to transpire why whack em' anyways. A dead Whasp is a good Whasp. Take the "s "away and we have a racial thing ready to explode. 

As far as bubble gum with Gin can Vodka be interchanged with Gin? If so I am with ya. 

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2020 at 5:40 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

Ok, I can never see which way a  thing can go with you brudder. Serious, not serious. Who  knows?????

I'll take the advice with more than a grain of salt. Now why would I want to whack a wasp that did notin' to me. Doesn't owe me money, didn't mess around with my lady or any of me brudders ladies, notin'. Now why would we whack that person? If that were to transpire why whack em' anyways. A dead Whasp is a good Whasp. Take the "s "away and we have a racial thing ready to explode. 

As far as bubble gum with Gin can Vodka be interchanged with Gin? If so I am with ya. 

or the " h "

• Haha 1

Or the "h", yes. I spelled it corectley the 1st time. 

Oh, I did get stung this morning by one of those bas%^&ds. It hurt and it hurt big time. It actually felt like someone hit me on the top of my hand with a ball peened hammer, then poured gasoline into an open wound. Yep it hurt big time. So much for they don't sting.  I can tell you 1st hand yes they do indeed sting. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

OL, I suggest you source one of these...

https://www.amazon.ca/Executioner-Swat-Mosquito-Swatter-Zapper/dp/B003TT3GDC

Not only do they fry wasps, but they provide hours of entertainment during the dull times. A mosquito will incinerate providing you with the satisfaction of knowing that one won't bother you again.

Been through the cheap ones, waste of money. Although pricey, the Executioner will last forever and work best with good quality batteries.

Of note... don't touch the rails when the button is pushed, it will burn you, don't ask how I know! (I have three of them)

HH

Edit to add... they had them at BPS, but it has been a long time since I have been there...

Edited by Headhunter
Cause