Katadyn Basecamp 10 L - review

gordy28

When we first started doing outpost and back country camping trips we used a hand pump water filter.  It was great, no issues w the water cleanliness at all but it was a fair amount of work over the course of a week

We eventually made the shift to a gravity system and I get asked all the time if we like it - so I thought I would do a review

Note - I have no affiliation to katadyn or any katadyn retailers - simply sharing as I personally like reading reviews prior to purchasing anything 

https://www.northernjacks.com/post/product-review-katadyn-base-camp-pro-10l-filter

Cheers

Andrew

spacer.png

I was thinking about ditching my MSR sweetwater pump system....  And this review sealed the deal for me. 

Gunna wait for one to go on sale. 

The seals in my MSR pump are on the fritz, and it takes for ever to get a few litres of water.  Id much rather be jigging then pumping water!!! 

Thanks for the review man.  Much appreciated. 

I have an older MSR gravity filter, which was a replacement for an even older hand pump system. It is a great filter and I assume pretty similar to the one here. One small disadvantage is that the water in the reservoir warms up during the day whereas with a pump, you may get cooler water if your intake is a bit deeper than the water's surface.

I would buy another gravity filter in a heartbeat rather than one of the hand pump ones.

Here is the filter I have - MSR Water Filter

Jon

I have an MSR pump as well as a platypus drip filter and the pump is definitely more work but certainly manageable for 2 people.  While both produce safe water I find that with the MSR it is clearer and better tasting... 

I have the Platypus GravityWorks and I like it. Easy to use and I've never used one before. They make a 4L I think (I have a 2L).

Bonus: when your first filter is up you can put a Sawyer filter inline with this system which is cheaper than the Platypus filter.

I have no affiliation with Platypus and I haven't used any others to have much frame of reference.