Reel spring identification - I’m an idiot

AKRISONER

Hey guys,

was doing a clean up and grease of an old used stradic that I picked up on the cheap. I started breaking it down, took the spool off and just did some cleaning in and around the gearing without taking anything apart further than simply exposing the gearing. Re-assembled the reel and sure enough I came out with an extra spring somehow that managed to roll away from my row of parts. 

now I can’t bloody figure out where the heck it belongs to. I’ve stared at the schemantic for hours and can’t seem to figure out where in the heck the spring is even on the parts list.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/shimano-st2500fh-stradic-spinning-reel-parts-c-200301_200302_205226.html

D27-F128-C-CCE6-453-A-9-AA8-5-C82-E66893

I then watched Two 45 minute videos of a guys disassembling the stradic 4000 of the same year and then another 2500 of a different model of hopes of seeing the part. The one of the 4000 unfortunately the guy doesn’t take a lot of the pieces fully apart. I’m rattled...did I just blow a perfectly good reel? I tried reassembling without the spring and something is definitely wrong. I can’t get the drag assembly to tighten up, yet with it simply on the shaft it seems to space it out to far! I’m lost. If any of you reel gurus or guys that are good with drawings can take a look and throw your ideas at me I’d greatly appreciate it. Heck maybe even one of you guys owns one of these all time classic jdm spinning reels!

thanks in advance!

IMG-1025.jpg

IMG-1024.jpg
Edited by AKRISONER

9 minutes ago, misfish said:

I thought so too, but I realized that’s the drag clicker...I had that piece out It was really really tiny, a whole different ordeal as I was taking it apart 7466 fell on the floor lol I can confirm that 7467 is less than half the size of this spring.

see now I’m tripping out because you guys don’t see any springs either. This schematic you provided is great though!

12 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Possibility that it belongs in the spool itself?

That’s what I’m wondering! It would make sense but it’s mind blowing that it’s not listed in the schematic. Its also very possible that it’s a broken piece off of somewhere else?

i reached out to th kustoms and I will try reach out to rockys. I may just also send this reel in with a curado that I own that has some internal issues that need to be cleaned up. Still cheaper than buying new especially these days.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Oh, and check to make sure your bail spring isn’t broken. Could possibly be a piece off the end of it.

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

Its also very possible that it’s a broken piece off of somewhere else?

It looks like the end of the bail spring.

11 hours ago, NAW said:

Ill buy the reel off you for $20 as is...😇

Haha...I’m almost considering it at this point. I’m not sure if it’s worth it for me to send off to fix at this point. My overall fishing as a whole has changed so much over the past few years especially as I finally got confident with the baitcaster I’m having less and less use for spinning reels.

Same thing happened to me last time I took apart a stradic. I ended up sending into Shimano to figure it out lol. They'll probably fix you up for their $25 flat rate charge (if that's what it still is), you'll have to cover shipping to them.

I've learned to leave spinning reels to the experts. Baitcasters do myself. So many small parts in a spinning reel!

Ok

Take this as you want as this came to me, and woke me up from my sleep,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Take the reel apart again. Take pics and lay all the parts out on the table like in the  schematics pic.

My thinking here is this,,,,,,,,,,,

Many parts are no longer available  , so they say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Go through all parts putting it back together, STEP BY STEP and take pics or even a video .,,,,,,,,,,,,I have a thinking, someone or some reel guy, replaced a part with that spring.

If you say the spring was part of the mix, well, I am thinking a sub part was put in .

Do the total break down and rebuild. I want to know what you come up with AK.

1 hour ago, misfish said:

Ok

Take this as you want as this came to me, and woke me up from my sleep,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Take the reel apart again. Take pics and lay all the parts out on the table like in the  schematics pic.

My thinking here is this,,,,,,,,,,,

Many parts are no longer available  , so they say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Go through all parts putting it back together, STEP BY STEP and take pics or even a video .,,,,,,,,,,,,I have a thinking, someone or some reel guy, replaced a part with that spring.

If you say the spring was part of the mix, well, I am thinking a sub part was put in .

Do the total break down and rebuild. I want to know what you come up with AK.

You know what? I’m gonna do this and video it. I’ll at least take it apart as far as I did. I don’t think I want to go beyond taking apart the worm gear etc. I’ll post the video to YouTube and see where we get

• Like 1