WOW Shelves emptying

Was at Walmart to get some supplies and was taken back at the amount of empty shelves. Frozen section of pizza and fries and what not almost empty. Cheese section almost bare. Canned good were still healthy. Bush beans on sale,so loaded up . As for meat, WHAT CRAZY PRICES.

I have heard rumblings that many suppliers are not happy with Walmart . Might explain the situation. Local no frills was loaded pretty good .

1.) China had a hog problem before covid started

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/04/business/china-pork-swine-fever-pigs/index.html

pork prices shot up here

2.) Not sure how much of your meat - poultry - veggies are imported from the states, but a number of big meat processing plants here have been shut down due to large numbers of their workers with covid, more grocery prices rising.

3.) Hog farmers, and i would assume other types are talking about having to euthanize their stock, can't get them processed and can't afford to go on feeding them?

4.) Labor, plant a crop that might end up rotting in the field? an expensive waste of time? The US and Canada both rely on large amounts of cheap foreign labor for farm work.

Never a fan of Walmart for groceries, especially meat. I object to being charged a fixed price for a package of something when I don't know how much is in there or how much per pound they are charging. Another rant while I am on a roll is bought a package of peameal bacon from a supermarket. I weighed it at home and within a very small margin of error the weight was right on. However, when I opened it there was a thick wad of packaging underneath the meat soaked in what I believe was water. I weighed it at 5oz!! Since moving out into a small community we have embraced the local butcher, baker and produce stands. Great (much superior) quality, no unnecessary packaging and prices not much higher than the supermarket. Rant over..🙂

Edited by John
  • Like 1

Can’t agree with you on that John. I was in Advertising and Packaging is an important part. big price point $5.00 per. . .  And we all fall for it. That blotter is there to soak up liquids and we pay for it, we also pay for the foam tray.
My family has had our butcher for 50 years, my parents bought 1/2 veal for 76 cents a lb. 120 lbs  each.  now we pay a lot more but don’t buy a half,  Just what we need. the meat is cut in front of you and packaged the way YOU want it. My mom could not go in later years and she would place and order and they delivered. We would give her crap for not saying go get it for me. Our butcher was more that happy to take care of her needs. He came to her funeral and we went to his. 

Just a side note they make the best Porchetta  (pork shoulder) we have ever had. Custom made and spiced. Takes 10-12 hours to cook at 325 but the result is a meal to die for. had some this Father’s Day. 
NEVER BOUGHT MEAT AT WALMART!  Fortinos yes, I know the butcher and he guides me. 

Edited by ketchenany

8 hours ago, misfish said:

I have heard rumblings that many suppliers are not happy with Walmart . Might explain the situation. Local no frills was loaded pretty good .

Probably squeezing them for the last cent,  WE sell it, you  have it , accept our our price policy!

I have been in a very large retailer’s office with an advertising concept  and the line up to see a buyer is beyond belief,  they will bid for the last penny, but then the sales are in the millions of you get the order.
In today’s situation, sales people have no choice and the retailer does not pass on the savings. 
a few cents marked up we will not notice but it puts millions in their coffers. 
Go have a hair cut and you will see that they have raised the fees,  what do you do? 

example a men’s shirt reg $80 goes on sale for $19.99 for a week they still make a profit! Called a loss leader because they got you in and will buy something else.

fun times in the retail world. 

16 hours ago, misfish said:

Those are back ribs. I want the good stuff. Side ribs. 🤣

I only buy the back , I find them better than side ribs, usually here, the sides are cheaper $1.99 a pound on sale while a good sale price for back is $2.49/.99. Sides here usually have a funky piece of breastbone attached.

47 minutes ago, misfish said:

I like the funky. Once it,s smoked,it,s all good.

I cheat with ribs, a few hours in the fridge with a dry rub, 22 minutes in a pressure cooker with a can of Dr. Pepper, sauce them up and a few minutes on the gas grill to camelize the sauce 🤣

1 minute ago, dave524 said:

I cheat with ribs, a few hours in the fridge with a dry rub, 22 minutes in a pressure cooker with a can of Dr. Pepper, sauce them up and a few minutes on the gas grill to camelize the sauce 🤣

Now yer getting fancy.LOL