Boat Survey

1 minute ago, Pigeontroller said:

Seems to be another new normal.

Seems to me another stretch of taking money out of your pockets.

I was told the same thing when I bought my 87 Ranger. I didn't get one. Got full insurance coverage from another company.

State Farm

6 hours ago, North Channel Cottages said:

What does the survey entail?

Around $20 per foot and some dude crawling around your boat trying to find problems. 

4 hours ago, misfish said:

Seems to me another stretch of taking money out of your pockets.

I was told the same thing when I bought my 87 Ranger. I didn't get one. Got full insurance coverage from another company.

State Farm

I think its a scam. Time to start shopping.

1 hour ago, porkpie said:

Glass boat?

Yes sir.

Ya no one would do mine without one and I tried. Hence no insurance on my rig. A total scam and pita. They list blue book on my boat at $1,000 and expected me to spend more than that just to get insurance in the first place. What a joke.

anyone know if general liability insurance provided by OFAH would help me with actual liability so that I could fish larger organized tournaments?

Edited by AKRISONER

A lot of boats? had problems with the wood in the transom rotting out? A lot harder to notice on a glass boat than an aluminum boat? From a liability standpoint giving insurance to an older sight unseen boat might open the  insurance company to more battles? The need for speed? There wasn't as many boats that came close to the speed of today's boats when I was young and who knows how good they are maintained? Lots things can go wrong, and the price to fix them or replace them keeps climbing?

Gotta pay to play. Agreed that if you wanna run the boat 100kmh you hope your boat is well manufactured and been taken care of. Maybe I also just got lucky with my rig that the hull was made by skeeter and has been bulletproof so far. I already know though the bunks have put a few bad spots into the hull, i can see them when I swim beneath my boat. Tough to work on a boat though without being able to jack it up somehow.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Gotta pay to play. Agreed that if you wanna run the boat 100kmh you hope your boat is well manufactured and been taken care of. Maybe I also just got lucky with my rig that the hull was made by skeeter and has been bulletproof so far. I already know though the banks have put a few bad spots into the hull, i can see them when I swim beneath my boat. Tough to work on a boat though without being able to jack it up somehow.

Your hull is pre-2004 making it not susceptible to delaminations and blisters....unless you smack a rock of course. All the older bassboat hulls are “bulletproof” as you call it. 

1 hour ago, grimsbylander said:

Your hull is pre-2004 making it not susceptible to delaminations and blisters....unless you smack a rock of course. All the older bassboat hulls are “bulletproof” as you call it. 

A change in chemicals used in the fiberglass or gel coat to meet some kind of environmental standard....or did they realize there was some kinda crazy carcinogenic compound they were using to do the fiberglass? I’ve been reading horror stories, specifically about Phoenix boats and it really surprised me. What gives?

Edited by AKRISONER

12 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

A change in chemicals used in the fiberglass or gel coat to meet some kind of environmental standard....or did they realize there was some kinda crazy carcinogenic compound they were using to do the fiberglass? I’ve been reading horror stories, specifically about Phoenix boats and it really surprised me. What gives?

Yup, EPA forced manufacturers to change the compound in the resin and hulls have never been the same. Maybe it’s a good thing for the environment but some of the issues guys are having are horrible. Especially the areas along the bunks where the boat rests on the trailer. 
Another “they don’t make enough like they used to” story!

12 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

I might just have to do this boat jacking up thing to re-gel some of that fiberglass. Hell it doesn’t even have to look good you can’t see it unless you literally swim underneath the boat and look at the very very back.

The glass work is easy. I’ve done lots of little touch ups on my boat. 
You’re right about the bottom too, as long as it’s fairly smooth you’re good to go. Getting it smooth is easy as well. Because you have to cover the resin with plastic to keep the oxygen away (so it will cure) you can give it a light roll with a can or use a putty knife to smooth out the resin. Easy peasy and no water in your fibreglass. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

The glass work is easy. I’ve done lots of little touch ups on my boat. 
You’re right about the bottom too, as long as it’s fairly smooth you’re good to go. Getting it smooth is easy as well. Because you have to cover the resin with plastic to keep the oxygen away (so it will cure) you can give it a light roll with a can or use a putty knife to smooth out the resin. Easy peasy and no water in your fibreglass. 

I’m gonna pm you about this jacking up the boat procedure. I’ve watched a couple of videos but it scares the hell outta me

• 2 weeks later...

I have pulled my boat off the trailer by putting a 2X2 square pipe across the bow. Then use heavy duty ratchet straps, like the ones towing companies use, to cradle the hull and secured to the 2X2. Using my chain falls I lift the bow off the trailer. I do the same procedure near the stern but I use my engine hoist to lift the stern off the trailer. Then I roll the trailer out. After the trailer is out of the way I lower the boat onto wood protecting on the top of  jack stands.

On 7/8/2020 at 11:16 PM, Bill said:

I have pulled my boat off the trailer by putting a 2X2 square pipe across the bow. Then use heavy duty ratchet straps, like the ones towing companies use, to cradle the hull and secured to the 2X2. Using my chain falls I lift the bow off the trailer. I do the same procedure near the stern but I use my engine hoist to lift the stern off the trailer. Then I roll the trailer out. After the trailer is out of the way I lower the boat onto wood protecting on the top of  jack stands.

Unfortunately I don’t have a nice level concrete floor or an engine hoist. There’s lots of great YouTube videos of guys doing it this way...I’m still pestering my old man to tear our old beat up garage down at the lake and put a proper workshop in so that we can do this kinda stuff. It’s even more annoying in the winter working on snowmobiles outside. 

he seems to be warming up to the idea now that he’s living there full time.