Help Me Set Up My New Boat Please

RS680

So after 30 years of owning a tin boat , I finally bought a new fishing boat.  It may be small but it is just me and my dog.  It is a 2020 Alumicraft escape with a 50 hp Yamaha. Now t he fun begins, I have not bought any new boat gear in many years so  What are my needs.  I was looking at a terrova 55lb 12 volt  running of a AGM 31 series battery  .  Not sure about fish finder to be honest i never really used the old one except for depth  but i would like  GPS maps but nothing to fancy  Then of course all the little odds and ends that you all have added to make fishing life better. So here is you chance build my boat to a fishing machine.

Boat is coming soon so  i have to get shopping  Where do you guys by your stuff.

Thanks Everyone

165 escape.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Garnet said:

Think a 12 volt 55 is little light.

You can turn trolling motors down when maxed you are done.

Good fish finders are huge help takes a bit to use them.

How you fish at present would help.

What i do!!!

i do not think you can really call it  Fishing .   I just troll around small lakes and rivers  to get a nice sun tan.  And sometimes a walleye or pike gets  tangled in my line,  But that does not happen to often. LOL  That is why with this new boat  This old Fart needs to up his Game.

4 hours ago, RS680 said:

What i do!!!

i do not think you can really call it  Fishing .   I just troll around small lakes and rivers  to get a nice sun tan.  And sometimes a walleye or pike gets  tangled in my line,  But that does not happen to often. LOL  That is why with this new boat  This old Fart needs to up his Game.

personally id run a 55 lb in that boat. The weight of the extra battery from a 24 volt would be really noticeable in that tinner with a 50...thats just my take on it. I run a 18 foot glass boat and a 80lb is a lot of power in a boat that heavy.

Electronics, I personally think that a helix 7 is your best bang for buck graph/sonar on the market. It also doubles as an ice fishing flasher and draws very little power. Side imaging will cost you a bit more dough, but if you like trolling around and driving, watching whats on either side of your boat is pretty powerful stuff. You may see a rock pile or other structure out in 20 fow 75 yards off to your port side, throw a mark on it and go drive over that spot and notice that its stacked with fish. Down imaging is incredible for showing things that 2d sonar cant I specifically bait, and will help you distinguish between whats weeds, wood, rock or other junk down there that simply shows up as blob.

My trolling motor is a 55lb and it pulls my 16 foot along fine.. of course a 24 volt would last a lot longer but battery weight will be an issue unless you spend big bucks on lithium.. I second a helix 7 and if you like to ride up front with the electric then you may want another sonar up there.. if your budget allowed it I would network another helix..

• Like 1

Yeah you’ll be fine with a 55lb thrust.  I had pretty much that exact boat but in a Lund.  I ran it in current on the Detroit river and it would hold spot lock in that current. I trolled for countless hours on the bow mount, even in wind and it was fine.  Sure, will you encounter an occasional situation where it may be underpowered, but very few.  I’ve been told that an 80lb thrust terrova isn’t big enough for my 18 foot Starcraft, strangely enough it is.  Anyway, my 2 cents.

I have have had 2 similar sized boats with 55 lb thrust and the way I fish they were fine. Musky trolling with the 50 hp is half the day and using the electric when casting the other half. I like the simplicity and weight of the 1 battery. I never ran out of power and I would always top it up at the end of the day. They were both minkota  powerdrive. My new to me old boat has an 80lb terrova which has more power but I hate the cable steer foot pedal as it sits up really high. I also added a 9 inch Lowrance elite with gps side and down scan but really a basic one would have been fine. Think maybe I’m too dumb to take advantage of it. I fish so infrequently I have to figure it out every time I use it lol! Plus I don’t like looking at a screen all day when fishing. Enjoy your new boat I have a new Yamaha 50 on mine and it is a great motor. Nice and quiet trolls well and sips fuel.

Edited by tomkat
Added content

If you go with a 12 volt Minkota be sure to get one with the Max designation . Those models have variable speed versus set speeds. The Max versions will allow your battery to provide usable power for 3 to 5 times longer. I've had 12 volt Minkotas on 12 and 14 ft boats. I now have a 24 volt bow mounted  80 lb Terrova  with 3 year old Wally world deep cycle batteries on my 16 ft aluminum with 50 hp outboard. . I really prefer the 24 volt  motor with remote control and foot control. The new versions have better spot lock than mine provides. I troll , anchor and maneuver the boat for casting all day with the electric motor virtually never trolling with my 2 stroke outboard . I live retired in Parry Sound and put a lot of hours on that Terrova fishing numerous days per week. I wouldn't go back to a 12 volt motor.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fundseeker said:

If you go with a 12 volt Minkota be sure to get one with the Max designation . Those models have variable speed versus set speeds. The Max versions will allow your battery to provide usable power for 3 to 5 times longer. I've had 12 volt Minkotas on 12 and 14 ft boats. I now have a 24 volt bow mounted  80 lb Terrova  with 3 year old Wally world deep cycle batteries on my 16 ft aluminum with 50 hp outboard. . I really prefer the 24 volt  motor with remote control and foot control. The new versions have better spot lock than mine provides. I troll , anchor and maneuver the boat for casting all day with the electric motor virtually never trolling with my 2 stroke outboard . I live retired in Parry Sound and put a lot of hours on that Terrova fishing numerous days per week. I wouldn't go back to a 12 volt motor.  

Agreed, and to each their own. It depends largely on how you fish. I know 100% there would be too many days when I'd kill a 12V battery in a 16" aluminum. Days when the outboard runs for 15 mins and the troller for 7 hours. In fact, most days are like that. I will say, I've never heard anyone complain about too much power or their batteries lasting too long. 

Was out Shopping and  Made a few decisions today  I am going with 2  AGM 31 series battery's  1 up front 1 in the back.  Also going with a terrova 55 lbs 12 volt with i pilot not sure if i want to have I link  to link it with my sonar or not. Is it worth a extra $500  Not sure..  Also  I wanted a 9 inch helix but to pricey for me so i think i will go a helix 7 mega Di for sure  Maybe side imaging not sure.  Having a hard time finding  trolling motors and Helix 7 in stock in my area.  Also need a good 2 bank battery charger is it worth $400 for a minnkota battery charger or are you just paying for the name Thanks everyone so far for all you help.

9 hours ago, RS680 said:

Was out Shopping and  Made a few decisions today  I am going with 2  AGM 31 series battery's  1 up front 1 in the back.  Also going with a terrova 55 lbs 12 volt with i pilot not sure if i want to have I link  to link it with my sonar or not. Is it worth a extra $500  Not sure..  Also  I wanted a 9 inch helix but to pricey for me so i think i will go a helix 7 mega Di for sure  Maybe side imaging not sure.  Having a hard time finding  trolling motors and Helix 7 in stock in my area.  Also need a good 2 bank battery charger is it worth $400 for a minnkota battery charger or are you just paying for the name Thanks everyone so far for all you help.

Don’t worry about ipilot link...minkotta did such a poor job developing their lakemaster canada card that it’s basically not worth it to have to use lakemaster. Just get regular ipilot and run navionics. If you want to get real fancy you can get yourself a zero lines card and start making your own charts (I love this) using autochart live. The ipilot will give you spotlock and bearing lock. The only real thing you’ll miss out on is using link to allow you to stick to particular depth lines. But I’ve found the lakemaster card required to do that to be totally garbage. It’s actually sad how bad it is.

I think a group 31 with a 55 will easily push your boat around all day. There’s a reason the stock is so low, it’s because it’s such a good cost effective set up!

as far as chargers go, you definitely get what you pay for. Don’t mess with bass pro brand or any other junk. Best bang for your buck though (imo) is a noco genius. Cheaper than minkotta with the same quality and a beautiful waterproof compact design. 

Edited by AKRISONER

11 hours ago, RS680 said:

If you can - go with SI. This will allow you to read bottom better and find sweet spots.

I’ve always used a nautilus smart charger from Canadian tire. Think it was 75 bucks on sale. Works fine no install. Charges the battery fully. I would have a hard time spending 400 on a battery charger. Do you need a 2 bank? Isn’t 1 battery being charged by the outboard? I only ever need to charge the trolling motor battery at the end of the day?

Edited by tomkat
New content

Sometimes i should listen to my wife This morning i was cleaning out the garage and my wife comes out and says why do you not use the portable Solar panels suitcase that we use to charge the Motor home Battery's when we Boondock camp.  They clip  right to the battery and are small enough i could even have them set up when i am out fishing.  Sometimes it is good to keep my Wife around she gives me a reality check and reminds me i am not some fishing show host that needs every top of the line gadget out there.  So just going through all my Motor home Crap  i have multi ways to charge battery's . It is not worth trying to have the best in everything. I think i have saved 2 grand or more  by reaching to others and listing to my Wife.  Now i just need you all to promise you can never tell her  she was right LOL   LOL  

Edited by RS680

2 hours ago, tomkat said:

I’ve always used a nautilus smart charger from Canadian tire. Think it was 75 bucks on sale. Works fine no install. Charges the battery fully. I would have a hard time spending 400 on a battery charger. Do you need a 2 bank? Isn’t 1 battery being charged by the outboard? I only ever need to charge the trolling motor battery at the end of the day?

That 15-20 minute boat ride out to your fishing spot doesn’t get even close to recharging the juice you’ve used running graphs, livewells, sump pump, and turning your motor over. I think this is why a lot of people have problems with batteries dying after 2-3 years, their battery is almost permanently in a state of discharge.

Well I guess I’ve been lucky. I’m on my third fishing boat over the last 20 years or so. I’ve never had starting issues or longevity complaints. I don’t use my live wells as I only fish musky and bass. A normal fishing day has hours of trolling between 4 and 5 mph maybe that is enough to keep the starting battery charged up? I have no idea really . 

12 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Don’t worry about ipilot link...minkotta did such a poor job developing their lakemaster canada card that it’s basically not worth it to have to use lakemaster. Just get regular ipilot and run navionics. If you want to get real fancy you can get yourself a zero lines card and start making your own charts (I love this) using autochart live. The ipilot will give you spotlock and bearing lock. The only real thing you’ll miss out on is using link to allow you to stick to particular depth lines. But I’ve found the lakemaster card required to do that to be totally garbage. It’s actually sad how bad it is.

I think a group 31 with a 55 will easily push your boat around all day. There’s a reason the stock is so low, it’s because it’s such a good cost effective set up!

as far as chargers go, you definitely get what you pay for. Don’t mess with bass pro brand or any other junk. Best bang for your buck though (imo) is a noco genius. Cheaper than minkotta with the same quality and a beautiful waterproof compact design. 

The Nocos are on sale at CT starting Friday .. 20% off

• Like 1

RS680, I have the Escape 165 Tiller with a 40 HP Yamaha 4 stroke from 2017. You will love the boat! I had the floor boards up to run some network wiring underneath and was very impressed with the quality! I went with the full vinyl flooring all the way through. I have a 54 pound 12 volt trolling motor up front and it is more than enough. I have the Motorguide Xi5 with pinpoint GPS. I love the motor, but the remotes are a huge disappointment! I am glad you went with Minn Kota! I always had them in the past and they were great! I have a group 31 deep cycle up front and a group 27 in the back I agree with Akrisoner, go with the NOCO chargers.

Enjoy teh boat and post some more pics when it arrives!

1 minute ago, Rattletrap2 said:

RS680, I have the Escape 165 Tiller with a 40 HP Yamaha 4 stroke from 2017. You will love the boat! I had the floor boards up to run some network wiring underneath and was very impressed with the quality! I went with the full vinyl flooring all the way through. I have a 54 pound 12 volt trolling motor up front and it is more than enough. I have the Motorguide Xi5 with pinpoint GPS. I love the motor, but the remotes are a huge disappointment! I am glad you went with Minn Kota! I always had them in the past and they were great! I have a group 31 deep cycle up front and a group 27 in the back I agree with Akrisoner, go with the NOCO chargers.

Enjoy teh boat and post some more pics when it arrives!

Thanks for  the info I am going by the dealer next week to finalize somethings and see if they have a delivery date yet.  I am excited to get out  and try the boat.  I have decided to cut back on some of the big dollar items and go with more reasonable things like a 7 inch graph over a 9 inch.  Also i think i will  try and do more of the rigging myself as all dealers can be expensive for that kind of work. So i think i will save a least a couple  grand by being more sensible about somethings.  Also i will definitely post a few pics of the boat when it arrives.  

• Like 1