Smoker pellets

So I've been using big chief smokers for like close to 40 years now, I'm on my third one. I've always used wood shavings over the years. Couple of years back my daughter gave me a few bags of Jack Daniels pellets that I've used in conjunction with wood shavings. Wasn't sure how they would work in my smoker pan but they certainly did produce a nice thick smoke and do seem to burn faster than chips. Not a big deal but likely more costly to use. So the other day I see this ad on a local buy/sell fb site. It was for 40lb bags of Pitmasters competition blend at a great cost of only $30 cash. Our local butcher sells 20lb bags of Traeger pellets for $25 so this was a good deal. Turns out this lad drove down to the 401 from Carleton Place and bought a skid full of these bags and was selling off extras to recoup some of his costs. Fine by me. https://luxebbq.ca/products/pitmasters-choice-competition-blend-pellets?variant=31999911559230

So hopefully these will provide me with a good smoke also with my electric smoker. Has anyone here ever tried these before?  My next session is going to include 2 racks of back ribs and 3 packages of pork tenderloins, so six of them. Freshco had them both on sale at the same price of 6.61/kg. I like my ribs but I'm an even bigger fan of the tenderloin, even better that I'm not paying for bone. This is a new email recipe I want to try from https://www.smoking meat.com/

If anyone is looking for smoking info and recipes I highly recommend checking that site out. He sells two rubs and a sauce recipe. I even found his original rub recipe online so I'm going to do up a batch of that one tomorrow and also a batch of Meathead's Memphis Dust dry rub recipe that I found on https://amazingribs.com/

Cheers

6 hours ago, smitty55 said:

So hopefully these will provide me with a good smoke also with my electric smoker. Has anyone here ever tried these before?

I was wondering this as well yesterday when I went and bought a back of chips.

Thanks for the links

I just picked up a Grilla Chimp, what an awesome little pellet smoker.   I'm on pitmaster competition blend now, it's fine.   To be honest I'm so new to this I really couldn't tell you if they were bad or not.   After I'm done this bagI'm going to try Lumberjack.  Really good reviews from the folks over on the Grilla Facebook page.  

• 1 month later...

So I used these pellets a couple of weeks back. They produce a good solid smoke in the Big Chief but it seems to be faster burning per pan. The one big difference I noticed for sure is that my grills were coated with a film that would take like five sessions with wood chips. I soaked them in the laundry tub and the water was so black, like maybe 2" on the secchi disk at most. Not sure what to make of that, but the result was still great. Maybe I'll mix them with chips next time and see how that works.