PSA - Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS G2N on sale at Sail

I bought the unit at a boat dealership and they installed everything but doesn't appear that it was tested on the water. Work and cancer kept me off the boat for a few seasons but now all is good and getting back to it. I just checked install and it looks like both transducers were installed pointing out, not level to water line. I will be adjusting and testing next weekend. Any advice or experience will be appreciated. From what I have read and comments here, it looks like I should just need the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T that came with the unit. Thanks

1 hour ago, BrentS89 said:

I bought the unit at a boat dealership and they installed everything but doesn't appear that it was tested on the water. Work and cancer kept me off the boat for a few seasons but now all is good and getting back to it. I just checked install and it looks like both transducers were installed pointing out, not level to water line. I will be adjusting and testing next weekend. Any advice or experience will be appreciated. From what I have read and comments here, it looks like I should just need the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T that came with the unit. Thanks

Yup just sounds like an alignment issue.  That unit will read great at highspeed.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing is you definitely don’t want to put it somewhere where the water specifically will be disturbed. That’s why they also mention the prop area because of the prop wash. Lots of guys like em on the far outside edge so that they can sharp shoot over them.

also confirmed, I was easily reading bottom going 40mph yesterday. 

2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

One thing is you definitely don’t want to put it somewhere where the water specifically will be disturbed. That’s why they also mention the prop area because of the prop wash. Lots of guys like em on the far outside edge so that they can sharp shoot over them.

also confirmed, I was easily reading bottom going 40mph yesterday. 

Excellent good to know thanks. 

I have 2 choices then, between prop wash area and outer strake (but this is close to the 15” min distance) and the outer corner which I’d be concerned with getting knocked off somehow. 

I think I’ll gamble with the inner spot as my prop is 7” further out from the transom due to the cmc tilt unit. I don’t know what that will change in terms of prop wash. But I guess I can always move it if it isn’t working properly 

What do you mean about sharp shooting?

17 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

I think he mentions his transducer location in this video.

Very cool! I can’t wait to try this. 

That 27.5” walleye was exactly the same as my PB on the French. The ONLY fish we caught all day, last pass in, almost pitch dark. Sometimes pays to stay out until the bitter end on a bad day of fishing (and in that case not so bitter)

Edited by Hack_Fisherman
  • Like 1