Jump to content

Hack_Fisherman

PSA - Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS G2N on sale at Sail

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Terry said:

Is it only side image 

Its DI\SI Terry. I have a same one. Pretty good unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does it have regular sonar too or just di/si

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s a good price for that unit. 

43 minutes ago, Terry said:

Does it have regular sonar too or just di/si

It has mapping, 2D, down and side imaging. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Terry said:

Does it have regular sonar too or just di/si

Sir. You can come by to my place and check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have some good deals on Lowrance too. 

Likely going to pick up the Hook 5 SI/DI/Sonar/GPS...it’s on sale for $473.99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

All that Cosmos stated. Has Navionics + card. Can be used for ice fishing with optional $120 transducer 

I went that route as well. Ammo box + transducer and extra power cable. Works fantastic for me.

Definitely recommend.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i run one of these units myself. Nice little bonus on the networking capability of this one too. Really fantastic imaging at a budget price! These definitely double up as an ice fishing flasher. I personally own 2 helix 7's for this reason! A digital flasher/graph, with GPS capabilities...for that price!

Also these units have a built in "ice fishing mode" that reduces battery consumption!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an older 999 SI unit that I was told I needed a second transducer and Y cable to read bottom at speeds over 10 mph. I never got the performance I expected so I am looking for something new. Will this unit read bottom at high speeds or is a second transducer and Y cable required ? A buddy just picked up the Garmin Echomap 95 SV and says it works great with the transducer that comes in the box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same one and would love to get another but the budget says no..

Edited by pics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Hey guys, I hear these take a lot of juice to run all day. Do you guys run dedicated batteries for them? Deep cycle? 

 

Just speaking from experience, I ran two helix 7’s a helix 9, two livewells and started and stopped my main motor 10 times on a group 24 for 9 hours yesterday without issue.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

Just speaking from experience, I ran two helix 7’s a helix 9, two livewells and started and stopped my main motor 10 times on a group 24 for 9 hours yesterday without issue.

Excellent, thanks for your input. I was worried if I’d run into starting issues and having 3 batteries in the boat already, I didn’t want the weight or cost of yet another. If the motor alternator man keep it charged while my 2 bank charger can deal with the TM batts, that’s perfect!

and man, I’d love to see your boat! Just one helix 7 is worth more than my whole boat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sometimes worry about battery usage as I my motor is electric start but I think having a small portable booster would be handy.. I will put it on my long wish list...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Excellent, thanks for your input. I was worried if I’d run into starting issues and having 3 batteries in the boat already, I didn’t want the weight or cost of yet another. If the motor alternator man keep it charged while my 2 bank charger can deal with the TM batts, that’s perfect!

and man, I’d love to see your boat! Just one helix 7 is worth more than my whole boat!

Trust me, the only “new” things in my boat are the seats, the tie off ropes and the batteries lol. 
 

I shop the American market hard for used gear, it’s the only way I can afford to make it happen. If you can believe it I outfit the boat with electronics (doesn’t include the re-wiring) for in and around $1,600 canadian spaced out over 3 years and that included two ice fishing transdeucers as add ins for the helix 7’s so I can ice fish with them!

our dollar now makes that far tougher to pull off!

we could go for a fish sometime once covid is over with. I already know we have something in common to talk about lol

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

Trust me, the only “new” things in my boat are the seats, the tie off ropes and the batteries lol. 
 

I shop the American market hard for used gear, it’s the only way I can afford to make it happen. If you can believe it I outfit the boat with electronics (doesn’t include the re-wiring) for in and around $1,600 canadian spaced out over 3 years and that included two ice fishing transdeucers as add ins for the helix 7’s so I can ice fish with them!

our dollar now makes that far tougher to pull off!

we could go for a fish sometime once covid is over with. I already know we have something in common to talk about lol

That’s s great idea, I never considered the US market. And I’d be down with that sometime, I think we would

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exchange makes picking up used goods across the pond a pain in the rear.   I just picked up a Helix 12, saved over a $1000 instead of buying it here but the exchange rate was still a hard thing to swallow lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2020 at 9:50 AM, BrentS89 said:

I have an older 999 SI unit that I was told I needed a second transducer and Y cable to read bottom at speeds over 10 mph. I never got the performance I expected so I am looking for something new. Will this unit read bottom at high speeds or is a second transducer and Y cable required ? A buddy just picked up the Garmin Echomap 95 SV and says it works great with the transducer that comes in the box.

Truthfully I didn’t read up on it in detail, but now I’m hearing that it might cap out at 10mph but I’ve gone down the internet rabbit hole to find mixed answers. 

Perhaps we can lean again on @Cosmos or @AKRISONER to weigh in? 

I hope I don’t have to buy another transducer and y cable. My boat goes ~30mph currently. Hoping to get it up near 40 next year 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Truthfully I didn’t read up on it in detail, but now I’m hearing that it might cap out at 10mph but I’ve gone down the internet rabbit hole to find mixed answers. 

Perhaps we can lean again on @Cosmos or @AKRISONER to weigh in? 

I hope I don’t have to buy another transducer and y cable. My boat goes ~30mph currently. Hoping to get it up near 40 next year 

You aren’t going to read side image or down image with much detail going that fast if at all. But that’s not what those views are for anyways at that speed. the 2d works totally fine at high speed. Once you start going 50mph I find mine starts dropping out though but that’s also the way my deucer is mounted.

also if you are hoping to go 40+mph consider buying the metal deucer mount off of the helix 10’s and 12’s the plastic one they gave me with the 7 couldn’t hold up to the speed especially once I was running chop. I swapped to the metal bracket and haven’t had a problem since

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

You aren’t going to read side image or down image with much detail going that fast if at all. But that’s not what those views are for anyways at that speed. the 2d works totally fine at high speed. Once you start going 50mph I find mine starts dropping out though but that’s also the way my deucer is mounted.

also if you are hoping to go 40+mph consider buying the metal deucer mount off of the helix 10’s and 12’s the plastic one they gave me with the 7 couldn’t hold up to the speed especially once I was running chop. I swapped to the metal bracket and haven’t had a problem since

Perfect, I mainly want to know depths when moving around, especially if I’m not all that familiar with the water. Especially the hidden shoals. 

Thanks again for your help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

You aren’t going to read side image or down image with much detail going that fast if at all. But that’s not what those views are for anyways at that speed. the 2d works totally fine at high speed. Once you start going 50mph I find mine starts dropping out though but that’s also the way my deucer is mounted.

also if you are hoping to go 40+mph consider buying the metal deucer mount off of the helix 10’s and 12’s the plastic one they gave me with the 7 couldn’t hold up to the speed especially once I was running chop. I swapped to the metal bracket and haven’t had a problem since

When I got my 999 I was told I needed a y cable and 2d transducer to read bottom at speeds over 10 mph. Not looking for imaging just 2d bottom. Can I get this in one HB transducer  on the 999 unit ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BrentS89 said:

When I got my 999 I was told I needed a y cable and 2d transducer to read bottom at speeds over 10 mph. Not looking for imaging just 2d bottom. Can I get this in one HB transducer  on the 999 unit ?

im not sure why they would tell you that. My dads been running a 858hdc for years and never had an issue running the 2d sonar at speed. Now there is definitely something specifically called a "high speed transducer" that guys will mount through hull etc etc. But to me thats if you really really need a perfect image while travelling at speed. 

Once again in my experience the only thing you wont be able to get a reading on at speed is your down and side image. They also dont like too deep of water either but thats an entirely different story.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...