PSA - Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS G2N on sale at Sail

10 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

All that Cosmos stated. Has Navionics + card. Can be used for ice fishing with optional $120 transducer 

I went that route as well. Ammo box + transducer and extra power cable. Works fantastic for me.

Definitely recommend.

• Like 1

i run one of these units myself. Nice little bonus on the networking capability of this one too. Really fantastic imaging at a budget price! These definitely double up as an ice fishing flasher. I personally own 2 helix 7's for this reason! A digital flasher/graph, with GPS capabilities...for that price!

Also these units have a built in "ice fishing mode" that reduces battery consumption!

• Like 1

I have an older 999 SI unit that I was told I needed a second transducer and Y cable to read bottom at speeds over 10 mph. I never got the performance I expected so I am looking for something new. Will this unit read bottom at high speeds or is a second transducer and Y cable required ? A buddy just picked up the Garmin Echomap 95 SV and says it works great with the transducer that comes in the box.

15 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Hey guys, I hear these take a lot of juice to run all day. Do you guys run dedicated batteries for them? Deep cycle? 

Just speaking from experience, I ran two helix 7’s a helix 9, two livewells and started and stopped my main motor 10 times on a group 24 for 9 hours yesterday without issue.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

Just speaking from experience, I ran two helix 7’s a helix 9, two livewells and started and stopped my main motor 10 times on a group 24 for 9 hours yesterday without issue.

Excellent, thanks for your input. I was worried if I’d run into starting issues and having 3 batteries in the boat already, I didn’t want the weight or cost of yet another. If the motor alternator man keep it charged while my 2 bank charger can deal with the TM batts, that’s perfect!

and man, I’d love to see your boat! Just one helix 7 is worth more than my whole boat!

20 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Excellent, thanks for your input. I was worried if I’d run into starting issues and having 3 batteries in the boat already, I didn’t want the weight or cost of yet another. If the motor alternator man keep it charged while my 2 bank charger can deal with the TM batts, that’s perfect!

and man, I’d love to see your boat! Just one helix 7 is worth more than my whole boat!

Trust me, the only “new” things in my boat are the seats, the tie off ropes and the batteries lol. 

I shop the American market hard for used gear, it’s the only way I can afford to make it happen. If you can believe it I outfit the boat with electronics (doesn’t include the re-wiring) for in and around $1,600 canadian spaced out over 3 years and that included two ice fishing transdeucers as add ins for the helix 7’s so I can ice fish with them!

our dollar now makes that far tougher to pull off!

we could go for a fish sometime once covid is over with. I already know we have something in common to talk about lol

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

Trust me, the only “new” things in my boat are the seats, the tie off ropes and the batteries lol. 

I shop the American market hard for used gear, it’s the only way I can afford to make it happen. If you can believe it I outfit the boat with electronics (doesn’t include the re-wiring) for in and around $1,600 canadian spaced out over 3 years and that included two ice fishing transdeucers as add ins for the helix 7’s so I can ice fish with them!

our dollar now makes that far tougher to pull off!

we could go for a fish sometime once covid is over with. I already know we have something in common to talk about lol

That’s s great idea, I never considered the US market. And I’d be down with that sometime, I think we would

Exchange makes picking up used goods across the pond a pain in the rear.   I just picked up a Helix 12, saved over a $1000 instead of buying it here but the exchange rate was still a hard thing to swallow lol

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 9:50 AM, BrentS89 said:

I have an older 999 SI unit that I was told I needed a second transducer and Y cable to read bottom at speeds over 10 mph. I never got the performance I expected so I am looking for something new. Will this unit read bottom at high speeds or is a second transducer and Y cable required ? A buddy just picked up the Garmin Echomap 95 SV and says it works great with the transducer that comes in the box.

Truthfully I didn’t read up on it in detail, but now I’m hearing that it might cap out at 10mph but I’ve gone down the internet rabbit hole to find mixed answers. 

Perhaps we can lean again on @Cosmos or @AKRISONER to weigh in? 

I hope I don’t have to buy another transducer and y cable. My boat goes ~30mph currently. Hoping to get it up near 40 next year 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

2 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Truthfully I didn’t read up on it in detail, but now I’m hearing that it might cap out at 10mph but I’ve gone down the internet rabbit hole to find mixed answers. 

Perhaps we can lean again on @Cosmos or @AKRISONER to weigh in? 

I hope I don’t have to buy another transducer and y cable. My boat goes ~30mph currently. Hoping to get it up near 40 next year 

You aren’t going to read side image or down image with much detail going that fast if at all. But that’s not what those views are for anyways at that speed. the 2d works totally fine at high speed. Once you start going 50mph I find mine starts dropping out though but that’s also the way my deucer is mounted.

also if you are hoping to go 40+mph consider buying the metal deucer mount off of the helix 10’s and 12’s the plastic one they gave me with the 7 couldn’t hold up to the speed especially once I was running chop. I swapped to the metal bracket and haven’t had a problem since

51 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

You aren’t going to read side image or down image with much detail going that fast if at all. But that’s not what those views are for anyways at that speed. the 2d works totally fine at high speed. Once you start going 50mph I find mine starts dropping out though but that’s also the way my deucer is mounted.

also if you are hoping to go 40+mph consider buying the metal deucer mount off of the helix 10’s and 12’s the plastic one they gave me with the 7 couldn’t hold up to the speed especially once I was running chop. I swapped to the metal bracket and haven’t had a problem since

Perfect, I mainly want to know depths when moving around, especially if I’m not all that familiar with the water. Especially the hidden shoals. 

Thanks again for your help

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

When I got my 999 I was told I needed a y cable and 2d transducer to read bottom at speeds over 10 mph. Not looking for imaging just 2d bottom. Can I get this in one HB transducer  on the 999 unit ?

18 hours ago, BrentS89 said:

When I got my 999 I was told I needed a y cable and 2d transducer to read bottom at speeds over 10 mph. Not looking for imaging just 2d bottom. Can I get this in one HB transducer  on the 999 unit ?

im not sure why they would tell you that. My dads been running a 858hdc for years and never had an issue running the 2d sonar at speed. Now there is definitely something specifically called a "high speed transducer" that guys will mount through hull etc etc. But to me thats if you really really need a perfect image while travelling at speed. 

Once again in my experience the only thing you wont be able to get a reading on at speed is your down and side image. They also dont like too deep of water either but thats an entirely different story.

• Like 1