NF - Trent Severn Trip - Tips?

hutch4113

Hi Everyone,

I am planning on taking my Dad through the Trent Portion of the waterway.  Neither one of us have done that entire section - and with everything that is happening, I have time.  We are looking to leave next week, from either Barrie, or Beaverton, depending on the Weather.  Will be taking my 18 Foot Boat,  which can average 40+ mph in the fast sections.

I am trying to figure out how far we can get each day - but also to make sure we have a place to stay (Marina and/or hotel with docking).  Has anyone done this trip all the way to Trenton?  It appears if I am calculating correctly, that we can do it in 3 days (if there are no issues).  Day one the plan would be to get as far as Young's Point.  Day Two - to Campbellford.  Day 3 - to Kingston (have family there).

Any tips, experiences, etc. would be greatly appreciated. 

1 hour ago, hutch4113 said:

Day one the plan would be to get as far as Young's Point. 

Give Burleigh Island Lodge a call, they're just a few miles north of Youngs Point and last time I was there they had cabins for rent plus docking. No idea what it's like right now but it's  a nice place is they can accommodate you.

Depending on traffic it can sometimes take longer to get through the various locks than you might expect. You may want to pad yoru schedule a bit to give some leeway ... and to allow time for a few casts here and there.

Seriously --> buy the PORTS cruising guide to the Trent-Severn (see https://www.portsbooks.com/trent-severn-lake-simcoe/). It's the most detailed info you can get on where to stay, where to get fuel, where to find groceries and the LCBO, marina facilities, launch ramps, locks, distance between various things, and some useful fishing info if you read between the lines. Book is loaded with high resolution aerial photos and maps. Only $30 and absolutely worth its weight in gold.

Edited by craigdritchie