Lake Erie spot for bass season opener?

GaraldT

Hey everyone, hope you guys are staying safe!

Bass season opener is around the corner and I was wondering where some good spots would be this time of year for bass.

Any help will do! I’m still very new to Erie.

Ive fished Tecumseh reed in late August into September last year and had some solid ones from there but wondering where they hang out during the bass opener time?

thanks in advance guys!

The entire shoreline from Tecumseh to the Niagara River has both quantity and quality of fish. Pick a launch and go. Use basic knowledge of structure fishing to locate fish. Start shallow and work deep...you'll find them. Once you find fish, it's rinse and repeat; work that depth and follow the contour. You don't need to ask for specific spots. Good luck!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grimsbylander said:

The entire shoreline from Tecumseh to the Niagara River has both quantity and quality of fish. Pick a launch and go. Use basic knowledge of structure fishing to locate fish. Start shallow and work deep...you'll find them. Once you find fish, it's rinse and repeat; work that depth and follow the contour. You don't need to ask for specific spots. Good luck!

Awesome appreciate the help.

Would Tecumseh reef itself be good this time of year?

thanks again

16 minutes ago, GaraldT said:

Awesome appreciate the help.

Would Tecumseh reef itself be good this time of year?

thanks again

Absolutely. There are resident fish everywhere along the north side of the lake. It’s true there is a migration that happens in the fall whereas fish stack up on particular pieces of structure, however, that’s a long way off and for now, the typical summer pattern is in place. 

I am screaming into this laptop because it won't accept my keyboard inputs. I am saying "There are not any Bass in Lake Erie so stay home or  go somewhere else."  Now to tell you the honest truth you will find Bass from Niagara Falls to Windsor on the north shore of Lake Erie. We live right on the shore of Erie. When I tell you that you will find Bass anywhere along the shoreline I am not telling a fish tale. Just a few hours ago I watched a male spawn with a large female Smallie dance together. The male circles the female and looks to try and squeeze the eggs from the large female over the bed of smaller stones and pebbles. This is late for them, usually the males are guarding the nests by this date. Opener is over a week away, 4th Sat. on June. So find an outcropping of limestone with  a stony and sandy bottom and you will find Bass. Virtually 100% Smallmouth to Long Point Bay then you will find your Large Mouth in the bay. Smallies west of the bay. As for weapons of mass destruction, anything from a cigarette but on a hook to a topwater presentation. Good luck, stay safe and stay home, no fish to be had here so stay home please. (tongue in cheek as I want more to catch for myself.)

Thank you, Johnny D/Selkirk On.

Just now, Old Ironmaker said:

I am screaming into this laptop because it won't accept my keyboard inputs. I am saying "There are not any Bass in Lake Erie so stay home or  go somewhere else."  Now to tell you the honest truth you will find Bass from Niagara Falls to Windsor on the north shore of Lake Erie. We live right on the shore of Erie. When I tell you that you will find Bass anywhere along the shoreline I am not telling a fish tale. Just a few hours ago I watched a male spawn with a large female Smallie dance together. The male circles the female and looks to try and squeeze the eggs from the large female over the bed of smaller stones and pebbles. This is late for them, usually the males are guarding the nests by this date. Opener is over a week away, 4th Sat. on June. So find an outcropping of limestone with  a stony and sandy bottom and you will find Bass. Virtually 100% Smallmouth to Long Point Bay then you will find your Large Mouth in the bay. Smallies west of the bay. As for weapons of mass destruction, anything from a cigarette but on a hook to a topwater presentation. Good luck, stay safe and stay home, no fish to be had here so stay home please. (tongue in cheek as I want more to catch for myself.)

Thank you, Johnny D/Selkirk On.

ooops

Believe it or not neither. I have fished Long Point Bay for Largemouth a few times over the years but have never fished Tecumseh. There are so many Smallie locations post spawn no need to fish that reef this time of year. It is usually fished hard in the late summer and Fall. I tell everyone that asks is to launch at Hoovers Marina heading  east and work the shoreline of Peacock. It is ALL good fishable waters. I can tell you where it's up to you to do the how. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

15 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Believe it or not neither. I have fished Long Point Bay for Largemouth a few times over the years but have never fished Tecumseh. There are so many Smallie locations post spawn no need to fish that reef this time of year. It is usually fished hard in the late summer and Fall. I tell everyone that asks is to launch at Hoovers Marina heading  east and work the shoreline of Peacock. It is ALL good fishable waters. I can tell you where it's up to you to do the how. 

Awesome. Appreciate all the help!

Best of luck to you GeraldT. 4th Saturday in June can never get here too early. I won't be fishing from the boat, but will toss some hardware from the shore. My fishing partners wife is flipping out about this coved thing as they have 3 little grand babies and is afraid my buddy is going to get the virus from me I guess if we fish together. It seems all my old fishin' pals are too old to go out fishing in the boat, so they say. Maybe they just don't want to go in the boat with me!!!! I know my wife won't fish with me anymore. We got caught in a storm here on Erie and it was touchy to say the least and promised The Lord if we didn't drown she will never go out on this lake again.

Look at your wind and weather reports 1st thing that Saturday AM. Things can change rapidly on this lake. I use sailflow.com and windfinder.com plus our official Canadian Marine weather site. 

This might help all. Heed weather forecasts, closely, please. It seems when ever winds are up on the day of Bass opener we get search aircraft from Trenton here, we don't want that. 

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=11&siteID=07503

Edited by Old Ironmaker

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 2:08 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

Best of luck to you GeraldT. 4th Saturday in June can never get here too early. I won't be fishing from the boat, but will toss some hardware from the shore. My fishing partners wife is flipping out about this coved thing as they have 3 little grand babies and is afraid my buddy is going to get the virus from me I guess if we fish together. It seems all my old fishin' pals are too old to go out fishing in the boat, so they say. Maybe they just don't want to go in the boat with me!!!! I know my wife won't fish with me anymore. We got caught in a storm here on Erie and it was touchy to say the least and promised The Lord if we didn't drown she will never go out on this lake again.

Look at your wind and weather reports 1st thing that Saturday AM. Things can change rapidly on this lake. I use sailflow.com and windfinder.com plus our official Canadian Marine weather site. 

This might help all. Heed weather forecasts, closely, please. It seems when ever winds are up on the day of Bass opener we get search aircraft from Trenton here, we don't want that. 

https://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=11&siteID=07503

Awesome 

appreciate the help