Upper French tips?

Hey Guys, I'm heading to the Upper French river in a few weeks. It's my first time in the area and I'm hoping for some area and fishing tips since I'm only up for 2 days..

I'm launching out of Dokis and staying nearby. Looking for Pickerel and bass mostly. I'm sure this area is rich with hotspots but any tips to help me be really productive would be really aprreciated. 

Any do's, dont's and any particular water hazards to avoid? I know there's rocks everywhere, but can I assume being above the dam, the water levels dont drop as much as they do in the lower french?

Any weather tendancies such as night fog? I know people who have gotten lost overnight because the fog rolled in

Used to fish Dokis down the dam. For walleye worm harnesses produced best results. jigging with live bait is great as well but you have to find eyes in numbers. 

For bass - senkos or any swimbaits.

You are correct - rocks are everywhere. Go with trolling motor or slow speed until you feel comfortable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Smallies are everywhere.   Walleyes/Pickerel will always be taken with a jig and worm in that area.    I've used 30 lb braid with a flouro leader the last few years and it's made a big difference.  The fishing is still fantastic up there.    You won't likely be traveling up to Nip so i would look for deeper weedlines.  The closer you get to the lake, the deeper the water.  You'll be constantly taking the weeks off the jig but that's where the fish are.   Try to search my older posts and you'll see what's waiting for you.  Never had night fog up there.

• Thanks 1

One of my friends went to the Lunge Lodge every year, late 1980's we drove up from Pointe Au Baril to visit and fish with them for a day. We followed them around, because of the rocks, and caught bass, basically all we fished for.

His son and another guy from our bass group here end up buying the lodge some years ago, they sold it a couple of years ago. They had an annual bass tournament for guests every September? from what I could see from following their facebook site the big bass was usually in the 4-6 pound range, and it could be either species.

• Like 1