New outboard motor choices ?

I’m not sure if the used market is extremely slim pickings this year or if it’s because the fact I’m actually looking to buy makes it seem so. Nothing in the era that I’m looking for and everything else  is questionable or antique, worn out overpriced junk or parts motors.

In any regard, I’m now considering going new.  I was planning on buying a good used 60 or 70 OMC and then moving up to a new Etec in three or four years,  but the latest announcement regarding the end of Evinrude  has me questioning where I should go now. I priced out a 60 horse Etec last year and I feel prices shot up $1k  shortly after Evinrude production closure was announced. 

I don’t think I’d want to buy one now anyway for fear that there will not be warranty or Parts support down the road. 

So what does that leave me?  Mercury, Suzuki, Yamaha?

It might be time that I embrace four stroke technology. Who is the leading group there?

60-70hp range preferred. 

Depending on the era totally changes your options. If it’s pre-2001 two Stroke Yamaha

four strokes in the 2000’s there’s a million Mercury’s out there kicking around. Those four stroke are bulletproof from my experience.

2010-2018 four stroke anything japanese. Too much power for you but those Honda Civic outboards are insanely reliable

Thanks guys. I'm going to start poking around the marine dealers. 

Upgrading a 45 year old motor to a 25-30 year old motor, if I can even find one seems like a lot of trouble and risk. Especially for the waters I want to explore. (Need reliability) Something really fuel efficient would be welcome too, especially for waterbodies with lots of distance to cover

7 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Google is your friend. Search the make, model, year and hp class thoroughly prior to buying anything. Opinions on here are just that, opinions. Do your homework!

I quite agree. However Google is quite the rabbit hole. Then again asking this question here on a forum is the same thing. Everybody has opinions.  The marine version of Ford versus Chevy versus dodge. I will have to pick and choose where I side. (And  lwith the written word it’s hard to tell sometimes or somebody’s coming across. I hope I did not come across as lazy.) I tend to post a lot of questions on forums;  a)  it gives us something to discuss. And it stimulates traffic and activity on a forum which it needs to survive and prosper. b)  it’s interaction and connection with people albeit digitally. c)  discussions and ideas brought forth might bring something to the table I might not have thought of on my own  by just reading reviews 

6 hours ago, David Chong said:

My only experience with four strokes is with the Yamaha's that I've had over the years and I truly believe that they are the most reliable outboard available currently. That by far is the most important thing to me. knowing that I'm getting back!

How many years or hours do you typically run them before you buy another?  Your post indicates you have had several. 

Like cars,  some people turn them over in a number of years instead of driving them into the ground. 

47 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

Don't overlook Tohatsu. They made many of the others small to medium 4 strokes.

I had heard that they make powerheads for others. Do you know what the factory support is like in Ontario as far as warranty and service is concerned?

Should I go new, I think part of the deciding factor will be in regards to how many service shops there are for that brand. If there’s only one distributor/service shop in 100 k radius from me, that concerns me. I’m stuck dealing with one shop if I don’t like them. 

I can’t find a Honda dealer anywhere within a 2 Hour Dr. There’s a few Yamaha. One Suzuki. And a few dealers that are selling Mercury. 

What are you guys think about Evinrude getting out of motors? 

Do you think there be a good factory service for years to come?  I wonder if the mercury dealers will take over repairs.  I thought I had heard that Evinrude/OMC  I partnered up with mercury to manufacture motors for their boats. So I wonder if it’s going to be a situation like jeep. It’s basically a Chrysler product now.  Mopar whatever you wanna call it. 

Do you think that’s going to be the same with Evinrude/mercury?

1 hour ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

I quite agree. However Google is quite the rabbit hole. Then again asking this question here on a forum is the same thing. Everybody has opinions.  The marine version of Ford versus Chevy versus dodge. I will have to pick and choose where I side. (And  lwith the written word it’s hard to tell sometimes or somebody’s coming across. I hope I did not come across as lazy.) I tend to post a lot of questions on forums;  a)  it gives us something to discuss. And it stimulates traffic and activity on a forum which it needs to survive and prosper. b)  it’s interaction and connection with people albeit digitally. c)  discussions and ideas brought forth might bring something to the table I might not have thought of on my own  by just reading reviews 

How many years or hours do you typically run them before you buy another?  Your post indicates you have had several. 

Like cars,  some people turn them over in a number of years instead of driving them into the ground. 

I had heard that they make powerheads for others. Do you know what the factory support is like in Ontario as far as warranty and service is concerned?

Should I go new, I think part of the deciding factor will be in regards to how many service shops there are for that brand. If there’s only one distributor/service shop in 100 k radius from me, that concerns me. I’m stuck dealing with one shop if I don’t like them. 

I can’t find a Honda dealer anywhere within a 2 Hour Dr. There’s a few Yamaha. One Suzuki. And a few dealers that are selling Mercury. 

What are you guys think about Evinrude getting out of motors? 

Do you think there be a good factory service for years to come?  I wonder if the mercury dealers will take over repairs.  I thought I had heard that Evinrude/OMC  I partnered up with mercury to manufacture motors for their boats. So I wonder if it’s going to be a situation like jeep. It’s basically a Chrysler product now.  Mopar whatever you wanna call it. 

Do you think that’s going to be the same with Evinrude/mercury?

Depended on the year and the engine, I put on a fair number of hours per season. the most I've put on an engine in a season was 185 hrs. and the most that I've put on a single engine over a four years was 650 hrs. I also know most of the people who had purchased my boats & engine and the only one that ever blew up was an Evinrude from 2004! 

• Like 1

I’m running a 22 year old Yamaha...thing starts like it’s new, doesn’t really put out much smoke for a two stroke and hasn’t given me a single issue and I definitely run it close to 100 hours a year. 

I also have an 88 suzuki that runs and has been abused horribly over the years lol. The original oil pump still works I don’t even have to run mix in it.

previous owner told me the only thing ever done on it was the valve cover gasket. Aside from that it’s oem. I changed the impeller in it when I bought it. That’s it.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

So far I love my Evinrude - so it was disappointing to see the BRP is ending the line (I am on 2.5 seasons with a G1 135HO).  They have sold it entirely to Mercury - so it will be interesting to see what happens.  But perhaps you can get a great deal on a clearance Evinrude?

On 6/15/2020 at 7:27 PM, Hack_Fisherman said:

I’m not sure if the used market is extremely slim pickings this year or if it’s because the fact I’m actually looking to buy makes it seem so. Nothing in the era that I’m looking for and everything else  is questionable or antique, worn out overpriced junk or parts motors.

In any regard, I’m now considering going new.  I was planning on buying a good used 60 or 70 OMC and then moving up to a new Etec in three or four years,  but the latest announcement regarding the end of Evinrude  has me questioning where I should go now. I priced out a 60 horse Etec last year and I feel prices shot up $1k  shortly after Evinrude production closure was announced. 

I don’t think I’d want to buy one now anyway for fear that there will not be warranty or Parts support down the road. 

So what does that leave me?  Mercury, Suzuki, Yamaha?

It might be time that I embrace four stroke technology. Who is the leading group there?

60-70hp range preferred. 

The honest truth is that among today's 50 hp to 75 hp engines there really isn't a bad choice, they're all very close in terms of fuel efficiency and overall reliability. Go to each manufacturer's website and you can read the specifics on each ... there are some minor weight and feature differences that might swing you one way or another. But the biggest difference is most likely going to come down to the dealer you buy it from ... some may offer incentives that the others don't, or be more convenient for service etc.

3 hours ago, hutch4113 said:

So far I love my Evinrude - so it was disappointing to see the BRP is ending the line (I am on 2.5 seasons with a G1 135HO).  They have sold it entirely to Mercury - so it will be interesting to see what happens.  But perhaps you can get a great deal on a clearance Evinrude?

Just for clarity, BRP did not sell Evinrude to Mercury, or to anyone else. Evinrude is discontinued, meaning BRP still owns the name and such but will no longer build the engines.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2020 at 6:37 PM, Woodsman said:

Don't overlook Tohatsu. They made many of the others small to medium 4 strokes.

I'm in a similar situation as OP here... Looking to re power and have found tohatsu to be very well priced. I inquired about a 50 hp console model 4 stroke and pricing was $6071 brand new. 

I was about to pull the trigger on a 2013 I came across on Kijiji but the guy wanted $4500 for it, (probably would have haggled him down) and he hadn't had it running since 2016 when he purchased it from someone else. For $1500~ I don't want someone else's issues if there are any, plus there's a brand new warranty.

Edited by leaf4
Clarity

3 hours ago, bigcreekdad said:

For what it's worth, I've had 4 outboards in the last 35 years....one Suzuki, one Johnson, and two Yamahas (4 strokes)....in that order. Suzuki was great, Both Yams great. The Johnson was a huge POS....couldn't wait to get rid of it.

What year was the Johnny? 2 stroke on that one?

Hack....I'm guessing 1988. Regardless of tuning, filter changes, etc. it would commonly stall after slowing down from near wide open. When this happened, about 50% of the time, it would flood trying to restart it. This then required unhooking gas line from engine, and trying to restart with choke wide open. Mechanics always concluded there was nothing wrong with it.

I’m gonna also chime in and tell you that my 88 suzuki still goes,  my 94 Johnson is dead with electrical issues that couldn’t be fixed without buying a new control module every year the thing kept frying itself. The 98 Yamaha runs like a top. The 2002 Mercury is running but it’s had electrical problems as well that we were able to fix.

Thanks again guys. I haven’t got any new pricing yet. Every day I search Kijiji or FB marketplace for used.

I was hoping to find a 90’s or early 2000’s OMC 60 or 70 as I had always heard they were solid...but perhaps not. 

Finding 70 Yamahas is like finding hens teeth. 

But this Covid recession and likely soon to be depression really has me concerned about spending $10k on a brand new toy. I don’t know if I can pull the trigger on new