My new to me boat

GBW

So I have been looking for a little while now and I finally pulled the trigger on this 89 today.  Now to remove the items I don't want (Lowrance X-4) and add the new.  I know the former owner so it was well taken care of and has a new floor and carpet installed in the past month and all new seats too.  Everything works too but thinking I may replace the axle (age of trailer and bearings are a year or two old) and the trailer wires and lights.  Oh I need two new tires too so I may get a new axle and say the hell with rebuilding the bearings and spend the $250 on a complete axle.  Thoughts?

At least I now have a boat at home and can take off anytime I want to go for a fish vs having to drive to the family home to take a boat out.  

104113440_10158106599771253_8885149018746585350_o.jpg

103997054_10158106236816253_7268561570996677873_n.jpg

104206666_10158106236711253_1231036203320897188_n.jpg

102759086_3116484891775023_168984882002053930_n.jpg

103961410_893303794480434_7699825803335808831_n.jpg

• Like 1

Ditto what @porkpie said. Pulling an axle is a lot of work and there may be no need if its just a seal & bearing job. 

If you are going to a swap, I suggest checking with Cerka trailer supply in Milton. http://www.cerka.ca/

Often better pricing than PA and I believe they ship. I'd imagine your closest PA is Newmarket? And I trust thier quality over PA. I've dealt with them several times and thier pick up prices are actually cheaper than listed. 

Nonetheless, congrats on the nice looking boat! 

7 hours ago, porkpie said:

Replace bearings to be safe and install new seals.  As long as the spindles aren’t pitted you should be fine.

X2

After you confirm that the machined surfaces where the bearings and seals run are in good condition; just replace the bearings and seals. Most any automotive parts store should have the bearings and seals. Take the old ones with you; as to match them up. If you do end up replacing the axle; I'd still take the hubs apart, to check the condition of the grease. They'll likely need to be repacked. If I read the size properly from the picture (4.80/8) I can get a Carlisle 6ply tire for approx 32 bucks each.

By the way very clean looking boat congrats.

Dan.

In my personal experience, I saved myself a hell of a lot of time and effort by just swapping the entire hub as a kit rather than doing the seals and bearings. I think I paid an extra $50? replacing the races with a race punch is a total PITA. Cracked one of my hubs one time trying to replace one. Said forget it forked over the little bit extra and it’s like plug and play, the races are all ready in when you buy the hub you drop the bearing in and put it on the spindle done deal.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 1

So after taking it all apart and checking the bearings (blown) I decided a new axle was only $40 more (Can tire pricing as nobody else out here has parts in stock) and has a 1-year warranty on it so I went that way.  New axle went in today and next is to get the Hummingbird Helix 5 in and remove the Lowrance X-4 from the helm.  

I thank you all for the feedback.  With luck I get it in the water next week as there is too much going on in my world sice the move across town.  

I re-pack the bearings and replace the rear seals yearly. My local trailer shop has all the parts available for a good price.  You need piece of mind especially on a boat trailer that is submerged regularly. Any grease escaping means that water could be getting in.. do the bearings at the end of the season when you service the lower unit..

You should make a habit to look in rear view mirror  constantly.

Any side to side movement is bad. Any excessive lean to tire when making you turns bad.

With a new axle and hub you should jack up after 500 k and wiggle tire hand at 12 and 6 any slop adjust bearing.

If you tow a lot this is never ending . 

• Like 2

On 6/21/2020 at 10:44 AM, BillM said:

First thing I do with a new to me boat is new tires all around on the trailer.  Zero exceptions. 

Not everyone hauls there boat 2800km at least once a year but I'm with you.   I also have them balanced and buy the heaviest load rating I can stuff in the wheel well.  

10 hours ago, Freshtrax said:

Not everyone hauls there boat 2800km at least once a year but I'm with you.   I also have them balanced and buy the heaviest load rating I can stuff in the wheel well.  

Heh.  Trailer tires are good for 3-4 years max.   I think people see decent thread and think they're ok.  I just stuffed a new 3500lb thick walled axle and 14in rims/tires under my Shor'Landr.    Nice little upgrade.

20 minutes ago, BillM said:

Heh.  Trailer tires are good for 3-4 years max.   I think people see decent thread and think they're ok.  I just stuffed a new 3500lb thick walled axle and 14in rims/tires under my Shor'Landr.    Nice little upgrade.

where did you source em Bill?