Barrie Launches

Fisherman

Cut and pasted from another site.

What a disappointment this morning. Got to the launch in Barrie at 5am this morning to find it was closed and they are issuing tickets to all non residents using the ramp and parking.

So... the area moves to a phase 2 of reopening and Barrie city council decides to close things down.

Thanks for the ticket this morning.

Hope this may save some non resident the aggravation of driving up here and finding this.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

From what I understand, Barrie is opening lots of things back up, but to residents only.  They want those people still stuck in phase 1 to stay in their phase 1 areas. 

Sounds like a very Barrie thing to do. 

if you got ticketed due to a Covid restriction, make sure you fight it in court if its worth your time. None of this stuff will actually ever hold up in court.

I 100% understand the reasoning behind many of these rules, but they are intended as a deterrent..by definition they almost all violate the charter of rights and freedoms in Canada.  If its $30 whatever, if its hundreds like ive heard Id be fighting it.

Edited by AKRISONER

43 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

if you got ticketed due to a Covid restriction, make sure you fight it in court if its worth your time. None of this stuff will actually ever hold up in court.

So I should tell my work that I should be working, even though they say I am off   due to the effect of Covid ? I should ask for my used up holidays back? LOL

No disrespect, but good luck.

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

I 100% understand the reasoning behind many of these rules, but they are intended as a deterrent..by definition they almost all violate the charter of rights and freedoms in Canada.  If its $30 whatever, if its hundreds like ive heard Id be fighting it.

(from my understanding) This is regarding the right to assemble and travel.  These are protected by the Charter.  The only way to override these would be to implement the War Measures act.  In order to implement the war measures act needed all provinces to agree.  They did not.

A fine for gathering more than 5 people and fine for traveling to "the Cottage" would probably not hold up.

Municipal, provincial and federal laws can not override the charter.

Any town property access is granted by the town.  If you are there and they said it was only to specific people you can get a trespassing charge / fine and it would stand up.

The province also has the rights to close business based on health and safety

Again all based on what I have read.

3 hours ago, LeXXington said:

(from my understanding) This is regarding the right to assemble and travel.  These are protected by the Charter.  The only way to override these would be to implement the War Measures act.  In order to implement the war measures act needed all provinces to agree.  They did not.

A fine for gathering more than 5 people and fine for traveling to "the Cottage" would probably not hold up.

Municipal, provincial and federal laws can not override the charter.

Any town property access is granted by the town.  If you are there and they said it was only to specific people you can get a trespassing charge / fine and it would stand up.

The province also has the rights to close business based on health and safety

Again all based on what I have read.

A simple defense of “I was confused with the constantly changing laws that are literally changing day to day” would be an easy enough defense. 

we’ve talked about this at my work which is operated under environmental regulation. Covid has basically thrown a stick in the spokes of everything. We basically can’t do anything compliance wise because everyone’s situation is so unique and there is not way that we can expect everyone to keep up to date with the constantly changing rules.

this is just my opinion. And once again not worth it unless you really got hammered with a fine over something so ridiculous.

Edited by AKRISONER

These were parking tickets, not Covid-19 fines.. Residents need to display their parking pass to not get a ticket. Normally if you don't have a resident pass you need to display a filtered try again please that you bought at a meter. Right now, you can't buy a filtered try again please so the only cars that can park in the near lake city owned parking lots are cars with a resident's pass. People can take what ever they want to court, but this would be an unlikely win.

21 minutes ago, kickingfrog said:

These were parking tickets, not Covid-19 fines.. Residents need to display their parking pass to not get a ticket. Normally if you don't have a resident pass you need to display a filtered try again please that you bought at a meter. Right now, you can't buy a filtered try again please so the only cars that can park in the near lake city owned parking lots are cars with a resident's pass. People can take what ever they want to court, but this would be an unlikely win.

The annoying thing is, Barrie opened the Tiffin launch and parking lot to NON Residents about 2 weeks ago and now has closed it again.  On one of the "other" boards I went through some grrrr, because Barrie didn't quite think the process through of a NON resident with a Vets plate or blue Disabled card could park and launch for free.  Then a short while back they implemented the $10 + HST fee for launching on top for NON residents. So how does a NON resident pay for only launching?  There's no separate button or input on the machine.   I had to poke about 10 different people at City Hall before I got the answer.  Oh we didn't think of that situation.   So you input the smallest amount possible for parking and an extra $10 + HST will be added automatically.  Then they change their mind and close it off to non residents again.  I used to spend a fair bit of money in Barrie,  they can pound dry pine cones for all I care now. 

Well looks like Barrie is getting greedy too,  they're just about to vote on the augmenting the non resident parking to $50 a day at the municipal lots.   The citiots figure people will park further inside the city to visit stores and spend money.  If people are going to the beach/boat launch, then I'd surmise their initial intention was to go to the beach, not shopping.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mamona said:

Same here. Each time when I am trying figure out launch spot, even for my yak, I am realizing how much I have to pay for the parking.

the amount of places with incredible fishing literally within 20 minutes of barrie is a joke. I have no idea what the heck they are thinking. Its as if they think people wont spend the $30 to just drive to port severn...and be on a nicer lake anyways lol. I even know of a place right off the highway on the water that you can park for free if you are only launching a kayak.

4 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

the amount of places with incredible fishing literally within 20 minutes of barrie is a joke. I have no idea what the heck they are thinking. Its as if they think people wont spend the $30 to just drive to port severn...and be on a nicer lake anyways lol. I even know of a place right off the highway on the water that you can park for free if you are only launching a kayak.

20mins might be a stretch :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

Growing up I spent my summers bud on Little Lake in Port Severn.  Trust me it's far from incredible.  Probably landed over 500 pike with the biggest being 30 inches.  Still shake my head knowing my grandparents sold there trailer on Honey Harbour and headed to Dink Pike Lake.

Edited by LostAnotherOne
Spelling mistake

Well here's the outcome of the last Barrie counsel meeting, they too are getting greedy.  I will take as much of my spending elsewhere.

A motion increasing non-resident parking rates to $10 an hour from $3 and the daily maximum parking rate to $50 from $20, effective July 2, 2020, in Barrie’s waterfront parking areas, was approved by City Council.

The motion also states that Enforcement Services Branch staff ask Ontario’s Ministry of the Attorney General to increase the early payment fine to $75 from $20, and increase the set fine to $100 from $30, for paid parking infractions in the waterfront area. These increases would better align Barrie with its neighbouring municipalities which have waterfront parking.

In addition, the City’s seasonal non-resident parking pass will increase to $130 from $90 - except for residents of Innisfil and the townships of Essa, Springwater and Oro-Medonte, who can continue to pay $90 for the annual pass.

City staff say approximately 35% of waterfront parking hours are used by non-Barrie residents, in lots which include Johnson Beach. Parking fine revenues are used to cover the cost of enforcement; the intent is to drive compliance by ensuring a financial incentive to pay for parking, rather than running the risk of receiving an expensive ticket.

The motion passed by City Council also suspends paid parking in downtown Barrie until September 8, 2020, to help support its economic recovery.

And Essa still charging anglers to fish the Notty, but dog crap leaving owners can walk for free. Take that.LOL

50 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

except for residents of Innisfil

I would of held off on that. They do not offer that to Barrie . Oro does though.

11 minutes ago, misfish said:

And Essa still charging anglers to fish the Notty, but dog crap leaving owners can walk for free. Take that.LOL

I would of held off on that. They do not offer that to Barrie . Oro does though.

They say on the news that they would keep the old cost of parking for neighboring towns because they contribute to the cities businesses 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fish Farmer said:

Buddy just paid last week in Orillia $50.00 in $50.00 out to launch.

not to make fun of your buddy but P.T. Barnum once said "theres a sucker born every minute"

Prices are always set by what people are willing to pay. That one makes me laugh because thats exactly what I paid to launch my boat this year...unlimited, for the entire calendar year lol.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

not to make fun of your buddy but P.T. Barnum once said "theres a sucker born every minute"

Prices are always set by what people are willing to pay. That one makes me laugh because thats exactly what I paid to launch my boat this year...unlimited, for the entire calendar year lol.

I think I'd drive back home for that price.

• Like 1