Small uninhabited roadside lakes?

I’m just wondering how many of you guys ever stop to shore fish or drop a canoe/kayak into those pristine looking roadside water bodies that just scream fish?

i always say to myself, “someday” and wonder if anyone ever stops to try it. It seems I’m always in a hurry to my destination or home and wonder what I’m missing. 

You guys ever try them out and find a goldmine?

1 hour ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

I’m just wondering how many of you guys ever stop to shore fish or drop a canoe/kayak into those pristine looking roadside water bodies that just scream fish?

i always say to myself, “someday” and wonder if anyone ever stops to try it. It seems I’m always in a hurry to my destination or home and wonder what I’m missing. 

You guys ever try them out and find a goldmine?

I have done a few on my pontoon. I learned quick to wear nylon ladies stockings as these lakes have them blood sucking leeches. The socking keeps them off. I have found bass and perch, but that about it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

When I stayed at halfway Lake provincial park north of Sudbury, I noticed quite a few small lakes he close to the road. Some of them had what appeared to be access points. There was also a guy camping on one of them.

There was enough water to explore at the park so I didn’t venture out to any of them. But I always wonder if there’s s plethora of bucket mouths in the lily pads, or if these mini lakes/large ponds are too small to hold a population of nice fish

3 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

When I stayed at halfway Lake provincial park north of Sudbury, I noticed quite a few small lakes he close to the road. Some of them had what appeared to be access points. There was also a guy camping on one of them.

There was enough water to explore at the park so I didn’t venture out to any of them. But I always wonder if there’s s plethora of bucket mouths in the lily pads, or if these mini lakes/large ponds are too small to hold a population of nice fish

That run down highway 144 from Timmins through gogama to Sudbury  had me crying when I did it. I was on the work clock so no time to stop and throw a cast. It’d be cool to even tow a small aluminum fishing boat and just drop into lakes for a week to see what’s happening. Maybe some day

would need to bring a boat load of fuel though, only gas at one station during that 3 and a half hour drive

Edited by AKRISONER

2 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

That run down highway 144 from Timmins through gogama to Sudbury  had me crying when I did it. I was on the work clock so no time to stop and throw a cast. It’d be cool to even tow a small aluminum fishing boat and just drop into lakes for a week to see what’s happening. Maybe some day

would need to bring a boat load of fuel though, only gas at one station during that 3 and a half hour drive

I know right? There's fuel in the little rail siding town. Carter or something. Certainly not much betweek Gogama and Sudbury. 

Tough to pull over at a lot of places if I recall. Short shoulders if any. Lots of rock and guardrails. I did see a lake with a dirt launch. Though the best rig for up there is probably a 4 x 4 with a full ladder style rack and a tin boat topper. or kayaks  

Beautiful up there. 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

I know right? There's fuel in the little rail siding town. Carter or something. Certainly not much betweek Gogama and Sudbury. 

Tough to pull over at a lot of places if I recall. Short shoulders if any. Lots of rock and guardrails. I did see a lake with a dirt launch. Though the best rig for up there is probably a 4 x 4 with a full ladder style rack and a tin boat topper. or kayaks  

Beautiful up there. 

I lived in Timmins in 80-90's with this area as my area of responsibility.  My evenings, when I stayed in Gogama, were spent checking roadside lakes.  I can confirm several spots in which the fishing was excellent, especially those from abandoned mining exploration sites.  One unlikely looking spot, near the "four corners" south of Gogama, with Hwy 144 in sight, resulted in cast after cast of pike. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, misfish said:

I have done a few on my pontoon. I learned quick to wear nylon ladies stockings as these lakes have them blood sucking leeches. The socking keeps them off. I have found bass and perch, but that about it.

We need pics!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, mitch seguin said:

I lived in Timmins in 80-90's with this area as my area of responsibility.  My evenings, when I stayed in Gogama, were spent checking roadside lakes.  I can confirm several spots in which the fishing was excellent, especially those from abandoned mining exploration sites.  One unlikely looking spot, near the "four corners" south of Gogama, with Hwy 144 in sight, resulted in cast after cast of pike. 

I spent my evenings satellite scouting. I can’t wait to get back up there. 

What happens to the exhausted logging areas? Is it still considered owned lands? Or does the crown only allow forestry operations and retain the land as crown?

I’d like to explore these areas but don’t want to find myself in trouble. 

1 minute ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

What happens to the exhausted logging areas? Is it still considered owned lands? Or does the crown only allow forestry operations and retain the land as crown?

Lol I’d let someone try and find you. I’m sure if you ran into anyone you could explain your mistake and be on your way.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

We went to Pointe Au Baril for 25 years or so, the liquor store or beer store at one time had like an 8+ plus largemouth hanging on their wall at one time that was caught at one of those nearby back lakes. We thought a couple of times about wandering around and trying some of them but gaining access seemed like a hassle and not knowing the area we had no idea what was private property and the dangers involved, a lot of bears back then and rattlesnakes.

It doesn't take a very big pond or lake to hold some quality size bass, fishing pressure and food supply have a lot to do with it, but some just seem to grow decent size bass in spite of that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

MNR forestry folks force the logging companies to build proper bridges/install culverts over stream crossings to protect specks. After operations cease the MNR likes to close off the roads to hinder access of motorized vehicles that hunters would use to deplete moose especially. 

Also MNR stocks lakes with specks/splake/lakers to provide fun for their own enjoyment and the enjoyment of workers in the bush there for a while. You should contact MNR for each WMA you want to fish and request the stocking list for past several years to find out what is where. 

I see a couple fellows here going to such a lake making great speck reports and you can bet if one was an MNR guy he knows which lakes have been stocked some of which done quietly for MNR people's enjoyment. LOL!  Oh and any crown land logging road is fair game unless blocked or maybe posted since dangerous equipment or worker safety during hunting season prevails. Usually the roads are blocked before the first stream by tree/brush piles to deter access.

Recall one case where a fire tower crew had a small lake nearby with nice specks in it for rangers to do well at. Now with satellites the towers aren't used far as I know but you get the idea. 

Also many lakes along the rail lines have monster largies in em due to line-building crews wanting food and fun so stocking of easily transportable fish (largemouth are fine in warm water and back then no refrigeration) was done about everywhere. Former member here told me how he fishes these and gets biggees. Pal near North Bay also caught a 6lb and said he lost a monster way bigger in a relatively small unnamed railside pond/lake.  

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, misfish said:

I’m sure that works great. How do you explain the lipstick??

😂

• Haha 4

absolutely! Hit a bunch of spots in the Parry Sound area and caught lots of pike and largemouth. Did the same when I lived in Barrie...found all kinds of ponds, some only an acre or two....some had pike stretching to 40 inches! I knew of a pond where I had caught a beaut...then saw the ponds being filled in! Tried my best to catch him again to relocate him to the pond across the street. Actually had him on again but unfortunately lost him...poor bugger didn't know I was trying to help him. Next thing I knew the pond had been filled in...big pikey was just fertilizer now

• Sad 4

Until my summers got filled up with tournaments, we used to make at least one trip north and did try a bunch of smaller bodies of water. I used to cartop a Coleman Crawdad back in those days and could launch it anywhere I could launch a canoe! We had some good days for numbers but never ever did find anything with giants in it!

• Like 3

I lived in Sudbury for years and travelled to Kirkland Lake area several times a year.  Most of the lakes up there have some fish.  There are a few that hold brook trout too, if you can find the ones with streams in and out.  A lot of them are hard to fish with floating brush at the edges.  And some are just dead ponds with nothing but frogs and minnows.

On 6/14/2020 at 8:48 AM, Hack_Fisherman said:

Hi, I'm sorta new on here, but not new, if you catch my drift.  Any crown lands that have been logged, have never left crown ownership.  It's all fair game for anyone to access.  Logging companies receive cutting permits and may restrict use during operations, but be sure, it's still crown land

• Like 2

On 6/14/2020 at 8:48 AM, Hack_Fisherman said:

Hi, I'm sorta new on here, but not new, if you catch my drift.  Any crown lands that have been logged, have never left crown ownership.  It's all fair game for anyone to access.  Logging companies receive cutting permits and may restrict use during operations, but be sure, it's still crown land