Lowrance Older HDS7 + HDS5 + Structure Scan Setup?

Raycaster

Feel like I'm clogging up the forum with threads but they are different subjects.

The used boat I purchased has a HDS7 and HDS5 and StructureScan HD module included with cables.

They were packed separate but I think I have figured out the wiring down to 3 questions remaining.

1) Would the front unit be the HDS7 (Touch Screen Gen 2 I think) or the smaller HDS5? Not sure if bigger unit goes with steering console or up front with trolling motor. It could be wired either way.

2) There is a StructureScan transducer and normal transducer in back of boat but there is also a normal transducer that was attached to their front trolling motor head. Is this required since the one on the transom shares information through the enet cabling on the StructureScan HD module.

3) They had the front unit tied into the trolling motor battery. I assumed it goes back to main battery but I can also piggyback off one of the 2 trolling motor batteries if required. It seem sensible but I will measure voltage first.

Thx ahead guys.

image2.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

The 7 goes at the helm so when driving you can have split screen. Gps making and sonar 

the smaller one goes to the bow

you should hook up the trolling motor transducer  if you jig you see the bottom and your jig below the front. If you look at the networked transducer from the back   You are seeing 16 ft away from your jig. 

you can run it off the trolling motor battery but I like to run them all off the main battery. In some cases less interference on the sonar this way 

• Like 2

Bad idea to run finders off trolling motor battery, finders don't like that sudden draw.

It's important to turn your finders on in right order.

First on is dominant so for me if fishing I turn front on first. This gives me the most accurate gps point.

Now if I'm side imaging turn console on first and most times I don't turn front graph on.

For me SI gps are second rate until I fish them. I always remove SI  points

It's up to you witch you put on the front if  you do a lot of SI the bigger screen will help.

I can tell you that SI gps points will just clog screens.

Another thing about gps always have on smallest scale so Lowrance 50ft and Birds are 20ft this will give you most accurate gps.

Thx for input, appreciated for sure.

Actually having problems turning them on at all. There is power and I think I have secured the over-engineered connectors properly but both inop. They both could be dead but will keep checking as it may be operator IQ. The StructureScan HD module does show power though (leds). I’m mostly on Balsam and know the lake well as these are more toys than anything. I have navionics on phone and iPad so the basic depth and contours are covered. If these hassle me too much I may just put my DragonFly 4 back on. Great for image but brutal slow mapping.

Spent 2 hrs playing with them and the HDS5 went on for about 1 minute before shutting off. HDS7 never came on even when switched from front to back. Now no lights on StructureScan HD device. Can't think I wired wrong as all cables basically keyed to certain connectors. Tomorrow I re-wire boat fresh. Tonight its google time to figure the Lowrances out.

Thanks Garnet there is actually a yellow wire un-used right now. I connected the red and black but left yellow. Maybe its a hi/low signal if boat key is on? Will look into it.

5 mins later...

Quick google confirms the yellow is a signal switch, now to figure that out...

Edited by Raycaster

Ok, spent way too much time with these. If there is someone in the Hamilton area that has time to look at them pm me and $$$. They are over 5 years old so not worth sending to LOWRANCE. I think the HDS5 is fine but button contacts probably corroded inside and need cleaning. The HDS7 looks brand new but will not turn on at all. The StructureScan HD module has shown life, probably ok.

Read a few threads on other forums that basically said that Lowrance rarely repairs items and either replaces or offers rebates on newer equipment. This may be a myth as details were sketchy at best.

hmmm. Will call Lowrance support tomorrow and see if what options are available.

I will give them a a call tomorrow but I’m already thinking that the whole setup may just be thrown on Kijiji. Not sure what the 3 units are worth non-working but being offered 20% off new units by Lowrance still is way out of my budget right now.

Just off the line from support (Navico).

Basically 2 yr warranty, rebates on replacements next 3 yrs.

They were courteous but in the end said:

Too Old, No repair options, Zero rebates, you are SOL.  

Edited by Raycaster

Thx Garnet, no go. Have tried everything.If times were different I’d drive to Basspro to see if they could connect to check but new display models probably don’t use these connectors and I’d understand them not wanting to touch outside units.

Stupid thing is they are old but within reason I’d pay to repaired but that isn’t even an option.

Maybe just sell the transducers etc. Separately and put towards new unit...

This thread can be closed - SOLD on kijiji and installed my old Raymarine Dragonfly.

The DragonFly is fine and shows pretty good structure etc. just BRUTAL slow maps.

Zoom in on map .... 30 - 45 seconds, and Navionics wants the chip updated but it just works.