Boat and trailer “Papers” long gone

Raycaster

My 40 year boat and trailer has no “papers” and wondering what hoops I would need to jump through to get them. The trailer is a home made job and boat was in “as is” condition but after some TLC became a great boat again.

I registered it 6 yrs ago for a pleasure craft license after buying it “as is”. The previous owner had no papers. I was not concerned with no papers because I bought from a very very reputable friend and it’s value was nothing.($250)

I don’t think mto cared about ownership papers when I registered and paid taxes on it, just don’t remember...

If someone has gone through this recently please chime in, thx.

I don’t understand 

if you registered it 6 yrs ago then it is registered you just need to go online with the numbers and get a copy

rhe trailer you go to a justice of the peace and swear how you got it 

then you can Licence 

or you take it to

an inspection place for trailers and then Licence it as if you made it 

I have a pleasure craft licence with the boats # but the document clearly stated “This is not a Title”.I do have a trailer license so I assume now that I have that ownership in my wallet or boat, checking now, man I feel dumb...

Edited by Raycaster

No one ever asks for a title.  They want the registered numbers and papers  it should have your name on it 

the only thing people in Canada get close to 

a title is the bill of sale.  I had to send them a copy of the bill of sale when I registered my boat 

Thank for reply, I’m going to head to mto Monday (bring a book) and 100% get everything documented. I know probably faster online but In person I will not screw it up. I obviously have trailer papers somewhere since I have the plate. If selling a boat does the trailer plate stay with trailer or put on new trailer? Yes, I am slow but I really appreciate the forums patience. 😎

Edited by Raycaster

All I have for my boat is a Bill of Sale and registration paper. The home built trailer needed to be weighed. I went to the local farmers mill and had it weighed but any weigh station will do. Took the weight slip to Service Ontario and they made an ownership for the trailer and sold me the license plate. It was pretty simple really to get everything done.