I see nothing has changed

lew

I stopped watching TV fishing shows years ago mainly because most of them are nothing more than Infomercials and IMO the worst was always Fishful Thinking. 

I came in the den at 9:00 this morning and turned on the TV and sure enough it was Fishful Thinking. I wondered if anything had changed and sat down to watch it. 

Only took a couple minutes and he hooked into a Lake O salmon and by the time he had the fish in the boat he'd advertised ... I think ...7 different products.

I turned it off and I spose it'll be another 5 years before I watch another fishing show.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

He was always the worst at constantly plugging his sponsors 
seems every couple of years He changed boat sponsors and every time it’s the best boat on the market and nothing compares 

but I guess it pays the bills 

I watch Fishful Thinking because he takes more time to show and explain how to use whatever presentation than other fishing shows. I also have emailed questions to him and he responded within a day and sometimes within hours.

Dave Mercer Facts of Fishing show is also top notch as well as Fish'n Canada. 

I don't mind the sponsor plugs as that is how the hosts get paid

• Like 1

Good morning Lew

I was out this morning. I made my way out using my Shakespeare 55lb thrust electric motor. Top notch and gets me out there quick at a high speed of 3.6 mph. That 3 blade prop sure is sweet. My toon,built in china and shipped here to Canada, is one of the top ones out there. I was jigging with my awesomely fabricated Spro 1 pc 6.6 ft rod. Matched up with a ABU 4500 reel filled with  power pro 30 lb test with a  8 ft,10 lb floro carbon leader. Great brand that Sufix is. I was using my home tied fly swim bait today. Great tied fly by that guy. I blame all the above sponsored products, as I did not catch anything .

Still,thanks to my sponsors for allowing me to get out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

🤣

Have a great day

B

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

16 minutes ago, lew said:

^^^^^   

Thanks for the laughs there bud, sounds like your ready for your own Fishing show   LOL

I was aiming for a laugh.

Here is one of them  laker fly swim baits by that guy .:)

DSCF5760.thumb.JPG.bf52096b83f2a4fa3ab8028a9b1fd403.JPG

DSCF5761.JPG.3347fbbd91afeee828670a5423ee68e3.JPG

Edited by misfish
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lew said:

I stopped watching TV fishing shows years ago mainly because most of them are nothing more than Infomercials and IMO the worst was always Fishful Thinking. 

I came in the den at 9:00 this morning and turned on the TV and sure enough it was Fishful Thinking. I wondered if anything had changed and sat down to watch it. 

Only took a couple minutes and he hooked into a Lake O salmon and by the time he had the fish in the boat he'd advertised ... I think ...7 different products.

I turned it off and I spose it'll be another 5 years before I watch another fishing show.

It’s funny that for all the shows out there you nailed the one show I just can’t seem to watch an entire episode. It’s almost a shameless barrage of plugs and frankly, I wonder if they realize it’s insulting to the audience. 

funny. Also havent watched these shows in years, but thought I would put one on this morning just to verify. Put it on Fishful Thinking...yup...lasted 15 seconds. They had a bunch of products laid out and were going over them. That  was all I needed to see. Now if it was amusky show focusing on product? Sure. I would sit through that, but that's because I have a problem. I think if you are hardcore into a certain species you just love to watch, infomercial or not.

Charlie Wray's show is definitely one big ad disguised as a fishing show. 

Bob Izumi does put in the odd plug, but he's still more educational than advertising. I look forward to his show every Saturday. 

Fishin' Canada and Fish TV aren't too heavy on the plugs either and are worth the watch.

My two cents. 

My favorite show was  Red Fisher,  he did not push products at you but rather encouraged

you to go to the lodges and resorts he filmed his shows at,  his guest's were well known

folks like Gordie How, George Armstrong, Captain of the Leafs back in the day,  Ted Williams of baseball fame,

Alan Hale of Gilligan's Island fame and so on. Down to earth show and he was always at the Toronto Sportsman Show

to sign autographs and chew the fat with you. I have lots of his old shows on VHS tape, and yes I still have a VCR,  LOL..

3 hours ago, Marty said:

Hey Lew, time to come out of retirement and start your own show!   I bet Lew's would sponsor you!

But then I'd have to flog Lew''s Reels and that would make me one of the guys I'm complaining about  LOL

I wonder what kind of a living Charlie makes with the show?

I find his constant plugging of sponsors irritating but he does provide technical detail  useful to our craft. 

He helped be years ago after speaking  to him personally at the Sportsman Show. I had salmon cut my line just above the meat on a meat rig. Later in the summer they get some pretty sharp teeth. 

He told me to replace the line from the flasher with fluorocarbon.   Never happened  again.  Common sense  but I had never thought of it 🙄.   Spoons protect the line but not a fly or meat head  

11 hours ago, npt1 said:

My favorite show was  Red Fisher,  he did not push products at you but rather encouraged

you to go to the lodges and resorts he filmed his shows at,  his guest's were well known

folks like Gordie How, George Armstrong, Captain of the Leafs back in the day,  Ted Williams of baseball fame,

Alan Hale of Gilligan's Island fame and so on. Down to earth show and he was always at the Toronto Sportsman Show

to sign autographs and chew the fat with you. I have lots of his old shows on VHS tape, and yes I still have a VCR,  LOL..

Red Fisher was good. He lived at Mitchell's Bay. One time he gave me signed copies of his books for my Dad, brother and myself. He was a good friend of my neighbour.

I think the last fishing show I watched, (which was also probably about 5 years ago, ) may have been Fishing Canada. I laughed so much. According to them you can not ever go fishing without a brand new Dodge truck and that brand new Dodge truck just had to have a certain brand of tires mounted on it. Oh nooooooo you couldn’t leave the brand new factory branded tires that it came with  mounted on the wheels. You just had to have whatever the brand was that sponsored the show to get you to the fishing hole  because there would be no way to get there with any other tire! 
In the end after the laughing at the stupidity of it I almost puked. So sickening.

13 minutes ago, pikehunter said:

not ever go fishing without a brand new Dodge truck and that brand new Dodge truck just had to have a certain brand of tires mounted on it.

I knew I left something out. My Ram arrived at the toon launch with brand new tires as well. Those Hancooks will get you anywhere you want. LOL

21 minutes ago, misfish said:

knew I left something out. My Ram arrived at the toon launch with brand new tires as well. Those Hancooks will get you anywhere you want. LOL

Yep! You have to remember the big sponsor! 
I used to like a fishing show that only ran for maybe one season, maybe  2 seasons. An English fellow hosted it, I think it was called Urban Outdoor Adventures , ? Or something like that. Every week his sponsor gave away a selection of fishing lures. Might have been sponsored by Rapala..