Looking for a used fishing boat and some advice

40 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

Congrats, that thing looks like it has a few fish catches left in it for sure. Post more pics!

Managed to confirm that yesterday! Went up to muskoka with a couple friends and had a great day. Two on the boat, two lost and four follows. Was incredibly hot but a mid day dip in the lake helped with that. So happy to have a boat and be back on the water! 

53DDF0E9-5687-49DD-B189-7A7DCDAFCC16.png

EB2152C7-D6E9-449F-8A33-908CFC5347C4.png

boat looks to be in fantastic shape! very very nice. congrats again! Welcome to the world of taking care of a 20+ year old boat. There is basically always something to fix lol but honestly i sometimes enjoy it almost as much as the fishing itself...almost...Im a bit tired of it now though, bass season needs to just start lol

5 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

boat looks to be in fantastic shape! very very nice. congrats again! Welcome to the world of taking care of a 20+ year old boat. There is basically always something to fix lol but honestly i sometimes enjoy it almost as much as the fishing itself...almost...Im a bit tired of it now though, bass season needs to just start lol

Hahah thank you very much! I’m no stranger to older boats. Last one was a 2004 princecraft 176, and before that I had a 1989 tracker 156 with a 30hp Johnson of the same year...still no idea how that got me back to shore each day lol. 

14 hours ago, AKRISONER said:

boat looks to be in fantastic shape! very very nice. congrats again! Welcome to the world of taking care of a 20+ year old boat. There is basically always something to fix lol but honestly i sometimes enjoy it almost as much as the fishing itself...

Oh to have a 20 year old boat.

Mine is 45

but like you, I enjoy working on it. It's off season/off weather hobby thats still sort of fishing related

15 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Oh to have a 20 year old boat.

Mine is 45

but like you, I enjoy working on it. It's off season/off weather hobby thats still sort of fishing related

That’s amazing! Do you have any pics of it? I’m assuming you’re pretty handy if you can keep a 45 year old boat going! That would be well over my head lol

14 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

nice an clean looking boat. Lots of good storage options. Does the dark panel of the rear deck fold back for deep access?

It doesn’t but I’m going to redo the whole back casting deck with vinyl. The previous owner tried to add more storage, but when you lift up the two compartments he added they are both full of buoyancy foam. Plus the vinyl is peeling where he made all of his cuts

i don’t think I’m going to have the front piece lift up/fold back. Instead I’m going to put in a hatch over the battery which is directly in front of the engine.

12 hours ago, FishFinder17 said:

That’s amazing! Do you have any pics of it? I’m assuming you’re pretty handy if you can keep a 45 year old boat going! That would be well over my head lol

Not so amazing really, aluminum boats last forever. I used to be a Millwright/metal fabricator by trade, so a couple of skills but anyone can learn. And the rest is maintenace and respect for the machines 

Here’s my offseason restoration project. I do a bit every year. It’s an early fish and ski that started back in 1969 (I think). Not my cottage (I WISH)

8B949F43-4625-4464-8C75-497719D6FBE2.png

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

Not so amazing really, aluminum boats last forever. I used to be a Millwright/metal fabricator by trade, so a couple of skills but anyone can learn. And the rest is maintenace and respect for the machines 

Here’s my offseason restoration project. I do a bit every year. It’s an early fish and ski that started back in 1969 (I think). Not my cottage (I WISH)

8B949F43-4625-4464-8C75-497719D6FBE2.png

Starcraft?

15 hours ago, FishFinder17 said:

It doesn’t but I’m going to redo the whole back casting deck with vinyl. The previous owner tried to add more storage, but when you lift up the two compartments he added they are both full of buoyancy foam. Plus the vinyl is peeling where he made all of his cuts

i don’t think I’m going to have the front piece lift up/fold back. Instead I’m going to put in a hatch over the battery which is directly in front of the engine.

You likely have enough factory foam. Might be able to reclaim some of your storage(?)

Can you put aluminum trim on the cut edges of vinyl? 

I Hope to see more pics. 

• 3 weeks later...

So far have managed to get a lot of work done to the boat and it has been running great. Here are my latest additions:

-fully replaced casting deck at back with single piece of plywood wrapped in nautolex vinyl (pics below)

-swapped out old minn Kota Maxxum for a newer motorguide wireless 24v  75lb

-removed two old humminbird fish finders (and an absolute mess of transducers on the stern) and replaced with new lowrance hook7 tripleshot

-mounted four Scotty rod holders and ran wiring for my Scotty electric downriggers

-added USB charger and ran wiring

-added blue sea systems fuse panel under helm

-added 50amp circuit breaker for trolling motor 

-purchased new cover from Canadian tire 

took the motor in for a tune up at Randy’s Outboards in Georgetown and it’s running great. Only issue I’m having is with the trolling motor but I think it’s because I have two different size batteries (one group 27 and one group 31) of different ages (one brand new one 3 years old) so I’ll have to sort that out. 

Thanks again for all the help. 

FF17

A4F3C539-5176-46B9-B3DE-61418E642FE2.jpeg

15A8D1E1-D47B-449B-84DB-F5251B6F3487.jpeg

4194D86B-CF88-4FBE-B7A8-034EF468A230.jpeg

Edited by FishFinder17

Seems like the boat has already repaid you in its value! 

your tm issues definitely sound like a battery problem. You might be able to save some weight just running two group 27’s. Canadian tire group 27 AGM’s is just what I put in my boat and I am really happy with them so far. I’m in a heavier boat too and fish windy as heck Georgian bay. I fished 12 hours on saturday and didn’t have a single issue!