Looking for a used fishing boat and some advice

12 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Essentially the same boat as the 18 Sylvan I ran and posted earlier on a US ad, I ran a 90 Johnson V4 on it , ran high 30's mph, with a 60 it would be a dog, they were rated up to 140 HP. Nice boat otherwise

Thanks for all of the options folks. I’ve seen a few of them already. 

What are your thoughts on this one? Price is right and looks clean 

Fishing Boat - 17.5 Ft Springbok with 70hp Evinrude on Kijiji

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/oakville-halton-region/fishing-boat-17-5-ft-springbok-with-70hp-evinrude/1503688245?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

52 minutes ago, FishFinder17 said:

Thanks for all of the options folks. I’ve seen a few of them already. 

What are your thoughts on this one? Price is right and looks clean 

Fishing Boat - 17.5 Ft Springbok with 70hp Evinrude on Kijiji

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/oakville-halton-region/fishing-boat-17-5-ft-springbok-with-70hp-evinrude/1503688245?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

I'd be all over that. Floors are a big job and the nautolex is not cheap. He's put considerable time and money into this boat. In my opinion, he's taking a loss. 

I'd make sure the owner didnt use pressure treated ply. Check the transom. If its soft, expect spending a weekend or two replacing it - easy if you're handy. 

I'd also look at the splashwell. Any cracks of the aluminum can indicate twisting. Also check the knee brace at the keel/transom for cracks.

Check for pitting and corrosion at or under the waterline and where you can see inside.  

If the hull looks good, the lower unit and compression test on the motor checked out, I'd grab this in a heartbeat.

Edit; you probaly meant thoughts on using instead of mechanicals...disregard if you're already in the know on this stuff.

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

17 hours ago, Hack_Fisherman said:

I'd be all over that. Floors are a big job and the nautolex is not cheap. He's put considerable time and money into this boat. In my opinion, he's taking a loss. 

I'd make sure the owner didnt use pressure treated ply. Check the transom. If its soft, expect spending a weekend or two replacing it - easy if you're handy. 

I'd also look at the splashwell. Any cracks of the aluminum can indicate twisting. Also check the knee brace at the keel/transom for cracks.

Check for pitting and corrosion at or under the waterline and where you can see inside.  

If the hull looks good, the lower unit and compression test on the motor checked out, I'd grab this in a heartbeat.

Edit; you probaly meant thoughts on using instead of mechanicals...disregard if you're already in the know on this stuff.

Went to see it today. Waited 20 mins on the road while he showed it to another guy. 

Boat looked okay for its age but really the only nice thing about it was the floors. Then once the guy told me it leaks I lost all interest. 

Went and did some running around afterwards then headed home. While on the QEW I look to my right and there’s the boat I just looked at. The same guy came back and picked it up haha. Hope he enjoys it. 

May have to up the budget by $1-2k to get what I’m looking for..

5 hours ago, FishFinder17 said:

Went to see it today. Waited 20 mins on the road while he showed it to another guy. 

Boat looked okay for its age but really the only nice thing about it was the floors. Then once the guy told me it leaks I lost all interest. 

Went and did some running around afterwards then headed home. While on the QEW I look to my right and there’s the boat I just looked at. The same guy came back and picked it up haha. Hope he enjoys it. 

May have to up the budget by $1-2k to get what I’m looking for..

Bummer, but you gotta be confident in your buy. good luck

Leaks mean little or allot depending on where it is/how bad. Many leaks can be fixed relatively easily and cheaply. If a seller thinks it is worth little because it leaks and is asking little, better check out the leaks since the boat may be a great deal. 

On 5/29/2020 at 8:42 AM, akaShag said:

I have a 16 foot Sylvan Super Snapper with a 40 HP Honda TILLER.  It meets all your criteria.  I bought this one because a buddy had one in Owen Sound back in the 80s and it was perfect for two anglers downrigging, even in bumpy water.  He had a smaller engine, maybe 30 or 35 HP, and could troll on his.  The 40 is too fast for trolling, so I put on a kicker plate and a 7.5 Honda when I was still downrigging.

All that being said, I have no idea what prices are these days, and it sounds like stuff is more expensive than I would have guessed.  The Sylvan has a nice hull and can take heavy water, but there are not a heck of a lot of them around.

Good luck on your search!  (and mine is not for sale...😉)

Doug

I used to have the same boat with a 30 hp Yamaha and loved it.. when I saw a Sylvan recently in Windsor I was pretty sure that I was buying it if it was in as good of shape as the pictures indicated so I brought some cash and a money order and took it home right away.. 

21 minutes ago, grimsbylander said:

I just got off the phone with one of my sales managers. He just bought a 2013 Lund 16" aluminum, 40 hp Yamaha. ipilot, trailer for $2500. Geez. It was just sitting at the end of a guys driveway.

I'll give him $4000 for it..............😉

13 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

I just got off the phone with one of my sales managers. He just bought a 2013 Lund 16" aluminum, 40 hp Yamaha. ipilot, trailer for $2500. Geez. It was just sitting at the end of a guys driveway.

Holy smokes, that’s worth 3 times that at least!

Prices are generally high early season but.a patient buyer can snag some great deals.

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

On 6/1/2020 at 4:59 PM, grimsbylander said:

Wife was selling it for what he said he paid for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Finally managed to scoop something up! 

2000 16’ Starcraft Fishmaster 160 with a 40hp Merc ELPTO of the same year. 

Has a couple older humminbird finders on it but both are working. So is the Minn Kota Maxxum 45lb on the bow despite being about 15 years old. Has livewell and bilge and vinyl floors and I bought it from the original owner. He gave me his original receipt and all of the paperwork and manuals from 20 years ago. 

Happy with the purchase and think I got a good deal. Now I need to fix a bit of the vinyl that is peeling on the back casting deck. Any recommendations on where I can buy marine grade vinyl for a decent price? 

Thanks again for all of the info and suggestions here. 

FF17

5C1DBA56-E0AE-434C-9646-6C34DB2469D7.jpeg

• Like 7

Congrats, looks great! Would love to see more pics.

I bought a roll of Nautolex at this place in Barrie. 

http://www.jtsoutdoorfabrics.com/

great selection, can get virtually any colour outdoor marine fabrics carpet vinyls etc. And accessories special tools etc. Lots of samples to look at

I thought pricing was reasonable. 

Edited by Hack_Fisherman

my neighbours son had a mariner version of that motor and had a problem with water in the lower unit, tried fixing it 3 times the third time it was fixed.  I guess I'm trying to say to check the lower unit for water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1