3 hours ago, Headhunter said:

One of the largest private retirement homes here in Ontario is a company called Chartwell. They are for profit and on the board of directors is a guy named Mike Harris.

Look up his comp package and you will see where the $$ went... and it didn't go to the residents!

HH

Private retirement homes are totally different than long term care homes.

My dad was in a private retirement home prior to having to go to long term care.

Private retirement home was like an expensive hotel and cost $6,600/month.

Long term care facilities in Ontario are all the same price (private room $2,500/month).

At least in London Ontario. There's a ton of long term care homes and all are the same price.

22 hours ago, Terry said:

Well  I am just stating what many members of my family are saying.as they are psw rn and rpn plus one director of a nursing home

but sure they could be telling me stories 

a gov nursing home had 2 psw and one rpn per floor. 30 residents to feed , clean , change diapers , give pills and put to bed   They had to start putting them to bed at 6 pm to have them all in bed by the end of they shift 

If gov't run homes do this as protocol then obviously staffing levels and ?pay? need be addressed. But your post misses your earlier thought that gov't run would mean tooo much money spent thus keeping only people of high income there. Also, if that 'gov't run one' was so poorly staffed then what do you think would happen if a private company ran it? Profits to (non-lawyer BTW) Harris and other paid BOD members along with profits to shareholders. Then even less would be used to staff and assist residents. 

Ask your Director relative if he'she tries to cut costs wherever possible. Ask whether profit/share value/shareholder dividends/BOD salaries are always in the back of his/her mind. Ask whether any concerns from them re expenses were raised about the pandemic and ts possible effects on the budget there. 

Ask about when he/she was interviewed for the job. Ask whether the question of "How would you save money" happened or instead the question arose of "How would you spend more money to make residents more safe and comfortable". I'm guessing the former.

As I recall you retired from building management/maintenance so I suspect your interview was similar. Profit-driven companies are profit driven. Old people shouldn't be caught up in this without serious and critical gov't oversight. Oversight got lax lately at least and this is why profits crept ahead of resident safety.