Any Legend 16 owners here? Pulling trigger

Raycaster

I’m about to trade “up” to a Legend 16ft with 25hp 4 stroke. I don’t have a lot of details yet (year etc) but kicking the tires. It does not have pedestal seats which I will install but wondering if 3 are do able. I think I see a mount in front for one.

Dont really want to argue boat values just hoping to get insight on what the 16’ Legend is capable of. Probably viewing this afternoon but hoping to do a little research before. Sorry no great details to give but hoping pics can pinpoint year and capabilities ( big lakes ? Or just small lakes etc. And speed from a 25hp with 2 adults) Don’t need speedboat but would be nice to be quick enough to venture further than 2km from cottage.

thx ahead

719D1D0D-69F0-4D01-B364-774E6A403A7C.jpeg

059CDF95-1D9A-45AB-9524-C0EC8CA951CB.jpeg

7BBB3366-A0A0-46FB-BB2F-EB8B524E29A6.jpeg

thats a lot of boat for a 25 horse to push around. Even more so for a 4 stroke. Ive got a 14 foot tinner with a two stroke 15, and once you throw 300lbs in it, it goes from ripping down the lake at 25 mph to crawling along at 10...You mention taking it out on lake O...sounds a little scary to me. The great lakes are big enough to produce significant lake breeze caused by day time heating. Youll go from Glass to large chop in literally 5-10 minutes very often. That 25 putting along through lake O rollers may not be something you want to experience.

Edited by AKRISONER
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Yes, no problem on Lake O on good days.

I used to fish within' a couple of miles of shore in a 12 foot tinny with a 5 HP back in the day.

LOL Dave

I was in that boat. 12ft Mirocraft,6hp Eveyrude. Had some great days out off the sisters.

• Like 1

gotta agree with the others. I bet that boat is rated for a 50 hp (could always check the plate). I would expect at least a 40 on a boat like that, so a 25 will be quite slow with 2 adults in it I would think. Legend is notorious for underpowering their packages to make the price look appealing. If you are comfortable with plowing along then if the price is right go for it. If you want to bomb from South Bay in Balsam up to the Provincial Park in 5 to 10 minutes I don't think this is what you want. Any chance you can water test it? Then you will know!

I had a friend with a similar style legend and a 25 four stroke.  He had it 2 seasons and moved it on.  He’s not a speed demon by any means, I just don’t think he found it to be a performance wizard.  I agree a boat with that kind of decking needs a 40.

From experience, I have a 16' Princecraft Starfish, but just the basic model,  tiller, benchs with swivels  and seats added,  3/4 ply floors, no livewells or anything else.  I had a Honda 25 on it and with 2 people on calm water could hit about 22-24 mph.  With 3 in it, it was a bit of a  struggle to get on plane. Upgraded to a 40 Yamaha and it makes a big difference, no effort.  Knowing now what I didn't then,  I wouldn't bother with that set up.  Oh and I'm not one of those speed demons or need to explode hole shot launches from dead stop.

Big nope on an under powered boat. If you need to outrun a storm or have a medical emergency you are not going to be in a good way. I run a Ranger with a GTX 150 and it will do 60 MPH most times I run around 30 mph but when the river blows up getting to shelter is a must. I would pass on  getting a boat that is at least 80 percent of the rated horsepower. 

Art

had the exact same boat and motor some years back. Put a lot of hours on the water over 10 years. With 2 in the boat, no problem getting up on plane doing an average 20- 25 mph in calmer water. We would run out on Erie on calm days.

I agree with the above mentioned, I would also pass. Not enough power. But at the end of the day it’s up to you. I did venture out onto Lake O couple times in my old 14’ tinner with a 25hp but those days were flat calm. Have to pick and choose your days. 

Ok it’s been well documented above that the boat is underpowered and I agree. However, my concern is that you actually want to add additional weight with pedestal seating. More seats means more weight AND 3 seats means more people and even more weight again....plus tackle, etc. My humble advice is keep shopping. Take advantage of the slumping economy and look for a better deal. IMHO if I was shopping for an aluminum boat for 3 people on Lake O or Erie, it would have a 60hp on it as a minimum. 
Not knocking the boat at all...just thinking about your safety. 👍🏻

Ah sorry, I intended to also say...testing that boat on a nice day will tell you very little. An underpowered boat that is loaded with gear/people can be stopped DEAD by big waves. The impact of the wave and the boat suddenly going “uphill” can be too much for the outboard. That is when bad stuff happens. Nobody ever plans on getting caught but it happens to everyone. 

Edited by grimsbylander
  • Like 2

That’s exactly it Grimsby. I’ve been out on the big sound In parry sound riggin Lakers, did one pass across the bay on glass and by the time we turned around we were in 6 foot rollers and taking on water. 

scary scary stuff. It happens even when you are trying your best to be careful 

I have a 16 foot with a 50 on it and I can easily get up on plane by myself ..32 mph.. when I have 3 in the boat I have to move people to the front or it struggles .. top speed is 24 to 25 mph with 4 of us.. a 25 might be fine for cottage fishing though..