Trailer tire valve stems

Can't say I have.

My current ones are 13 or 14  years old and haven't had issues.

I do keep my boat parked inside a portable garage most of the time so the weather doesn't get to them.

It also gets way freaking colder her than there in the winter so if you thought things were going to break the brutal cold would mess something up.

Maybe there are sharp edges on the rims where the valves are that are breaking them or the holes are too big and during winter lose air due to shrinkage.

39 minutes ago, John Bacon said:

Has anyone else had trailer tire valves break over the winter?  This is the third time that I have had a flat tire in the spring.  In all three cases, it was due to a broken valve stem.

Can't say I ever have although I've seen some where the brass meets the rubber split away, maybe hit something before storage.  You can get all metal ones.https://www.etrailer.com/search/Metal+Valve+Stems

Appearently I have inner tubes in my tires.  That's what the guy at Canadian Tire told me.  He said that they cannot fix it because they don't service wheels with inner tubes.  I am hoping my local guy is open on Monday so I can get it taken car of soon.

1 hour ago, John Bacon said:

Appearently I have inner tubes in my tires.  That's what the guy at Canadian Tire told me.  He said that they cannot fix it because they don't service wheels with inner tubes.  I am hoping my local guy is open on Monday so I can get it taken car of soon.

They usually only put tubes in trailer tires if the beads are too corroded to seal.

Might be time for new rims if this is true.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 7:54 PM, DRIFTER_016 said:

They usually only put tubes in trailer tires if the beads are too corroded to seal.

Might be time for new rims if this is true.

Well, it took me three tries to find a place that would fix a tire with an inner tube.  When I picked it up, he told me it there was not inner tube, he justed needed to replace the valve...

I have no idea why the guys at Canadian Tire thought it had an inner tube.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, John Bacon said:

I have no idea why the guys at Canadian Tire thought it had an inner tube.

Well there's your answer  "guys at Canadian Tire".  Next time ask them if they have any outer tubes.

Edited by Fisherman
  • Haha 1