Wondering to myself...buggy yet?

T-Bone

Supposed to be on my way to trip #1 of this year north of the border up in the Temiscaming / Temagami area. Clearly...that's not happening. I see it's warm(er) up there lately...have the skeeters and black flies come out yet? I know what I'm missing in the fishing...but not what I'm thankful I'm missing with the bugs. 

Thanks for the update. 

It's been heavy with black flies for the last week or so around here but this heat wave has knocked them down pretty good but now all of a sudden the mosquitoes have shown up so not near as bad, they hardly leave a mark.

I learned a few years back that there are over 1000 different variations of Black Flies in Ontario. Some bite and leave a nasty sting, some draw blood some just bother you like the huge type I experienced on a small lake east of Parry Sound a few years ago in May. We get a type here on Erie that just swarm to the light and cover everything the next AM in dead black fly corpses. They just make a mess. Every year I found myself picking black flies off the front of our vehicles chrome and paint all summer long. I came up with a good system to help keep the front of our vehicles a fly free zone. Spray cooking oil all over the front of the cars and trucks, everywhere. When it's time to wash the vehicles the flies wipe right off. It's so simple and it works. 

Well I spent 2 mornings on ATV north of Barrie and even stopping in a couple places for a sip of coffee, maybe 3-4 blackflies and not biting, no mosquitos either.  Finally found some ramps too,  chopped up leaves, stems and bulb and into the salad,  quite tasty.

Edited by Fisherman

My neighbor says to put some Vick,'s Vapo Rub on your hands and neck to help combat black flies and mosquitos, has anybody ever tried this? I think I will try it the next time I go north