"Hardbody Topwater Bassin'!" Webinar

David Chong

Join me for a FREE Navionics webinar next Tues. May 26, 2020 at 7:00 PM EDT where we'll going to be talking about probably my favourite way to catch bass, on topwater! Great time to be learning more and we'll try to cover as much as possible about "Hardbody Topwater Bassin'!" as possible, if you have any questions in particular, please comment on this post and I'll try to answer them. But leading up to it, here is a pop quiz : How different modifications can you spot on the popper with this post?

You can register for the webinar at: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/6470295383013328909?source=David+Chong And again totally FREE!

Topwater Modifications-001.jpg

Edited by David Chong
  • Like 1

Front hook replaced with a ex caliber red treble.

Back has a red thread wrap that is holding a white saddle hackle with pearl crystal flash .

If it was repainted,I would have no idea,as so many are out there.

Do I win the popper ?

LOL

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, misfish said:

Front hook replaced with a ex caliber red treble.

Back has a red thread wrap that is holding a white saddle hackle with pearl crystal flash .

If it was repainted,I would have no idea,as so many are out there.

Do I win the popper ?

LOL

You got a couple of the mods! Might hold a contest during the webinar!

17 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

Looks like a tail weight? suspend strip?

Years ago I used to pinch a small Blackbird split shot on the shank of the rear treble to get it pointing down at rest. Increased hook ups dramatically. The other thing was using a dremel tool to hollow out the cup on the nose end to deepen and sharpen the edges. The bait WILL really pop and gurgle with very little movement afterwards. Gbay smallies love popR’s 😉

Edited by grimsbylander
typo
  • Like 2

So in the case of this what was originally a Bulldog Popper (They're no longer around) The 5 mods made to this lure were:

1/ Replaced the original rear trailer with a Short Shank Wide Gap treble with longer feathers and crystal flash in it!

2/ Added Suspend Strips to the rear section so that the bait would sit tail down at rest.

3/ Replaced the front treble with an up-sized wide gap Red treble.

4/ Painted the mouth red for higher visibility. 

5/ Added a split ring so the bait would have more action.

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of an  "O" ring as a line tie I usually prefer a clip or even better a Rapala loop knot tied direct to the lure. I find you get a louder gurgle when walking the dog at low speed or a bigger splash when aggressively popping the bait. I also really like the Sure Set hooks on the back of all topwaters not just poppers. I've never seen Sure Sets with feather tails but I make my own feather tail using Swan feathers that I pick up in the spring and fall when they molt.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

I believe Mustad bought Stringease some years back, Kevin Van Damm was a big promoter of them.

6 hours ago, OhioFisherman said:

I believe Mustad bought Stringease some years back, Kevin Van Damm was a big promoter of them.

Stringease licensed some of their product to Mustad! Yes, KVD is a big fan of the product!

• Like 1