Replacing stolen Operators Card

When my car got stolen last year, with all my fishing gear inside, my Pleasure Craft Operators Card was with it. Anybody else had to replace one? I can write the test again, but I'm just lazy. (Lazy should have been my middle name😋)

Yup, you can order more cards In fact when I lost my card they wanted to offer a deal on buying 4 vs 1.

now I have a stack of cards at my place, one for each boat at the cottage and one in my wallet. 

I’m obviously very “forgetful” so stuff like this seems to have a way of finding itself missing on the regular. This way it never leaves my boat.

honestly I wish they’d do the same for bloody fishing licenses. I constantly find myself without mine by accident. PITA 

I keep a copy on my phone for just that reason but who knows how much of a hardass the first CO I run into will be when I’ve forgotten my card in my pfd or in my boat when i hop in my dads boat.

Edited by AKRISONER

If you wrote your card number down it is easy to get one renewed. Or should I say easier, dealing with anything government related is not easy. Take a photo on your phone or call them on your camera. It's 2020. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Cards aren't issued by the Government OI. They were/are issued by private companies/power squadrons etc and there is no registry for them. Many of these fly by night operations that issued boaters cards are gone, so makes it hard to get a copy in many cases.

• Like 3

On 5/21/2020 at 10:14 AM, irishfield said:

Cards aren't issued by the Government OI. They were/are issued by private companies/power squadrons etc and there is no registry for them. Many of these fly by night operations that issued boaters cards are gone, so makes it hard to get a copy in many cases.

Yep, now I recall. Took the course and test at a local Marine dealer in Hagersville 10 years ago. I was told that was the last time that this Marine dealer offered the course. When someone takes the test online who issues the card?

Taking the test for a 2nd time online isn't a bad idea to brush up on laws etc. Since I took the course I got a number where I could act as a moderator for someone taking the test at home online. Lord only knows where I wrote it down. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

On 5/22/2020 at 3:12 PM, irishfield said:

The whole things nothing but a farse OI, you don't even need to know how to start or operate a boat !

I think there is something to at least making people aware of navigation buoys 

although I know a huge majority of people literally cheat the test or have someone else write it for them. 

im glad my father was a hard ass about it, and rightfully so, if I was going to be driving his boats back when I was 18 he wanted me to know how to navigate safely. I remember taking the test and literally acing it with one “wrong” that I knew was not truly wrong because they gave two correct answers for one of the questions. I remember my dad being pissed when he found out I got a single question wrong and then I proved to him that it actually wasn’t Hahahaha.

to be honest ive probably forgotten basically all of those weird ass buoys having never seen them. There’s one of those fancy black and yellow ones up in pointe au baril everything else is green and red and then sometimes white and red in wake zones. I’ve literally never seen anything else. 

The way you deal with sailboats?

Stay the literal hell away from them, that’s what you need to know lol