Snow bird crash

Looked like they were very low when he ejected too Brian, sure hope it turns out good.

Been a lousy month for the Canadian Military with the 6 killed off Greece in the helicopter crash and now this.

was very low and sharp angle for ejection. I believe each seat (they're side by side) has an eject stick and can only presume pilot was trying to return to the airfield when they realized they weren't going to make it. fortunately no one on the ground was hurt. also heard one of the two in the Tudor, didn't make it. sad day for the RCAF.

15 hours ago, irishfield said:

Jennifer was the teams Public Relations Officer. Her chute did not open... :wallbash:

I thought I saw 2 ejected and was right. Capt. Casey unfortunately didn't make it. She led a very interesting life at a young age. Started working in journalism and ended up in the Canadian Military as a PR rep. Sad on all counts. Some years back when they had a proper air show at Monroe Airport in Hamilton the Snowbirds flew directly over our place so low that I could see the pilots faces. Impressive. 

On 5/17/2020 at 10:33 PM, irishfield said:

No they both ejected, neither's chute actually opened fully. He was fortunate to hit the slope of the house roof, she got a tree.

You are our flying guy around here Wayne. Do you think by the way the jet climbed slowly then tumbled to the ground there was an inflight stall? 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

The engine popped/died crossing the airport fence and he grabbed as much altitude as he could. Whether it was with the hope to turn back to the airport (that we're generally trained NOT to do) or eject only the pilot can tell that tale and will in time. I'd originally thought it stalled and spiralled and may well have, I don't know the characteristics of a Tudor.... a Cessna would have dropped the outside wing in the turn (right) and rolled over opposite to what this Tudor did. Maybe he rolled to make sure the canapy cleared.

Edited by irishfield
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wayne, if it were any other craft, and had more elevation, it would look like a stall turn (which can be unnerving if one has never experienced one before) ? also wonder if they had their cockpit camera running during what I presume was a regular run, possibly to their next stop ?  I don't envy the task, investigators have before them.

Edited by woodenboater

On 5/19/2020 at 8:50 AM, irishfield said:

The engine popped/died crossing the airport fence and he grabbed as much altitude as he could. 

I thought the same.

Too bad it happened so fast and they weren't able to eject at the top of the turn/stall.

Wondering if the engine sucked in a bird?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DRIFTER_016 said:

Wondering if the engine sucked in a bird?

They interviewed someone on the news yesterday who was some type of aviation expert and he said a bird strike is a possibility but after studying the footage he couldn't see any bird bits blowing out the back of the engine which is often evident, but he wouldn't rule that out.

Fortunately the pilot made it out alive. One would think he would be the best witness. Often the individual that was the operator in an emergency scenario is the worst witness, next are eye witnesses which are often the worse witness to an accident or fatality. Take for example the driver of the car Princess Diana was killed in. He lived and can't recall a single thing. 

• 2 weeks later...

The military I think carries the liability not insurance companies. Otherwise the military budget would be more for insurance than equipment. Way cheaper to pay any damages for some happenings than to ensure against any possible happenings. Also many of the details of any military accidents would be a secret thing so insurance companies wouldn't have any ability to assign blame/responsibility by getting all the relevant info for many claims.