White fly hatch

misfish

Noticed these little white flys on the river and wondering what they were. Looked them up,but nothing. Probly not looking in the right spot. Anyways,I noticed a couple of rises by small trout, so figured I would tie something close. I have been getting a bit creative with materials. Seeing things that I know someday I might be able to use. Since I wanted the body and thorax thin and small,I used this spool of white sewing braid. It was cheap.LOL

DSCF5702.JPG.eb19b09cde69d26818bcc572f3a3af34.JPG

My dry fly hook supply is gone, so used the next best thing I had.

DSCF5701.JPG.2e6093e4d9b90dcc8df5abebd54f00b7.JPG

Learning a lot about how to make wings and getting them smaller and smaller. Used the tips of white blood quill.

Can not wait to try them.

DSCF5703.JPG.5beab72d0920537df55cbb1dbf372424.JPG

So what are these little white fly's called ?

On 5/17/2020 at 1:16 PM, misfish said:

I found this, could be

Pale Evening Dun

Genus: Ephemerella dorothea
Hatch Period: late May - early June
Hatch Time: evening
Hook Size: 18

flys_may_pedun.jpg

large.jpg?1444664159

We used to run into a hatch of those on the Rocky Saugeen many years ago fishing Specs, we would use #16 light Cahills to fish the rise, but it wasn't really necessary as the Brookies are dumber than a bag of hammers , never do get really selective when it comes to food like resident Bows and especially Browns.

• Like 1

I don't want to be the C-19 police but what are you doing out shopping for fly tying stuff? Oh, sorry, flies are essential to fly fisherman so it's all good. I am about to lose it today with this social distancing, my effed up back and knee and not smoking cigarettes. We have some stupid stick cigarettes but don't want to fire one up as it may trigger me smoking again. I've read every book and magazine we have in our shack and watched every DVD, VHS and Beta Max in this joint more than a few times. Every movie offered on Bell Expressvue we have already rented. I detailed my truck and Tichas Kia, really detailed them. Used a toothbrush to get into the bezels around the instrument clusters. The vehicles were only cleaner coming off the line. I have sharpened every hook on every lure I have here, many are in my storage unit in Hamilton and I'm ready to go into the city and get them as well as about 200 DVD's and my acrylic paints, brushes and some blank canvases. I have re caulked the shower, around the toilet and bathroom sink, around the tile back splash. I have run out of chores to do. Spread 15 bags of black loam on the flower gardens with a bad back. Slow and steady. Took a toothbrush to all the remotes for the TV and Stereo. That was all today that normally would have taken me a month to do prior to smoke cessation. But I haven't had a puff of tobacco for 40 days now and I am proud of us both. I am up to 185 lbs, this AM up from 170. I lost over 35 lbs in the last 4 or 5 years for no reason. Mostly muscle mass. Tich has gained weight as well, she doesn't believe me when I tell her she is a beauty regardless. What are we supposed to say? 

4 years ago in San Francisco. She's a keeper. 

Ticha San Fran AGWG (2).jpeg

Edited by Old Ironmaker

13 hours ago, BillM said:

I hate tying those things on especially when the light gets low.   My fav fly for the exact river Dave mentioned above :)   

That s what the head lamp is for and my magnified goggles.. LOL

14 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I don't want to be the C-19 police but what are you doing out shopping for fly tying stuff? 

Most of the good stuff is mail order anyway,  as far as big box stores, Cabelas used to have a significant edge on Bass Pro who seemed to cater more to those who fished for green fish <- yuck

15 hours ago, dave524 said:

We used to run into a hatch of those on the Rocky Saugeen many years ago fishing Specs, we would use #16 light Cahills to fish the rise, but it wasn't really necessary as the Brookies are dumber than a bag of hammers , never do get really selective when it comes to food like resident Bows and especially Browns.

Thanks Dave

A cahill

Wings are a bit far back, but I just wanted to see how it tied. Picking up dry fly hooks #14-16 this morning. :good:

DSCF5721.JPG.703eda0c4e17bbdcb1421023e4ba2c0b.JPG

• Like 1