Gardening in a condo

Started my Newfie garden.

Wish I had a small plot to do this, as I do like fresh veggies . Since I do not, I am stuck doing it this way . One does, what one can right .

Chives, beef steak tomatoes and peppers so far.  Going to grab a few more large pots for Swiss chard and one for beets. Might get a long box for radishes and carrots.

They will get sun most of the day, as they are facing south, and the sun moves east to west here.

DSCF5697.JPG.e11c89b9652d48efb07d9731b8ffc34f.JPG

34 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

If it gets cold put the tomatoes in the smoker! 
I’m looking for tomato plants and nothing around!!! Fig trees are doing well! 

I stopped by CTC ( you know the store right ) on the way home Albert. They had so many variety's of tomatoes.. I asked, where the hell are the normal beef steaks ? Young gal looked through the carts and found me 2. I was happy with that.

If you like, I can grab a bunch of tomato plants for you , as I plan a trip down your way this week . Oh, they have Roma as well. Cherry's too .

Let me know. You know where I hang out . 👨‍🍳

Edited by misfish

1 hour ago, ketchenany said:

Thanks B, I’ll venture out tomorrow or next week. I have nurseries close by too so I may hit them. I heard Home D was a zoo in Woody.

You are a hell of a guy to barter with,even when I did not even ask. LMAO

On 5/16/2020 at 2:25 PM, misfish said:

Started my Newfie garden.

Wish I had a small plot to do this, as I do like fresh veggies . Since I do not, I am stuck doing it this way .

DSCF5697.JPG.e11c89b9652d48efb07d9731b8ffc34f.JPG

You could look into using gutters.

https://gardenandhappy.com/gutter-garden-ideas/

https://www.bosch-diy.com/gb/en/all-about-diy/create-vertical-garden

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, misfish said:

Big problem with Fred the squirrel here. He likes to dig in the pots. I buried some chicken wire in the dirt. He will poke a paw and I hope that keeps him thinking about digging again. LOL

The squirrels where brutal in our planter baskets at the cottage Brian.  Now as soon as we plant something in them I grab a bunch of pencil thick 8-10 inch twigs and basically stick them in the pots wherever they will fit, and remove them as the plants grow. Still get the odd squirrel once in a while but I have lost zero plants since I started doing this maybe 10 years ago.

Well pot is from a bucket of salt beef

DSCF5750.JPG.8e0ca97c80b28552888b9f4155b244e8.JPG

I took Steve's advice and added some sharp wood spikes. Along with the steel mesh,he has not returned.

DSCF5752.JPG.1bc62de892bf0ef2dade4d0b9834ede4.JPG

DSCF5753.JPG.48ac58c436c9887df9826161c4a60e64.JPG

DSCF5754.JPG.ab28b654028894964bfbdf108993f938.JPG

Need to get another big pot to move the other tomato plant. Getting big already.

• 2 weeks later...

Exciting day at the condo garden.:thumbsup_anim:

Well this warmer weather sure is getting things happy happy. I am getting excited now. Chives are well on their way, pepper plants are growing strong, pruning the tomato plants (sucker removing ) has really made them grow fast. I bought a bag of bamboo sticks cheap,$2.45 at HD to support the growth of the tomato plants. I use butcher twine to help support the plant. They want WAYYYYY, to much money for those crate things. I got buds and flowers started now. I think Fred has learned that I am his friend,but stay out of my garden. Have not had a hole dug in over 2 weeks now. He does come around,but I just throw him a piece of bread and he gone.LOL

DSCF5800.JPG.135592a3b0a45aa12fc68ca40ac77eb5.JPG

Chives

DSCF5804.JPG.0917b8a72bf55d4e5345c73215715cb3.JPG

Tomato,s are a coming,,,,,,

DSCF5801.JPG.4b960fb78bee66b4fe08b11b1cc35ae9.JPG

DSCF5802.JPG.8a6600b4d8db919e0497a22eb592484a.JPG

DSCF5803.JPG.de539b03e0f45ecbf20e6c21e7aacb5a.JPG

Looking good Brian. A little tip for your peppers. Once they start to flower get an empty spray bottle and fill with lukewarm water and a teaspoon of Epsom salts. Shake well and give the peppers a really good spray, soak the whole plant. The magnesium in the epsom salts really helps the peppers set fruit. I have had pepper plants fall over in the garden from the weight of the peppers on them. With good conditions you can easily get a dozen or more peppers per plant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, crappieperchhunter said:

Looking good Brian. A little tip for your peppers. Once they start to flower get an empty spray bottle and fill with lukewarm water and a teaspoon of Epsom salts. Shake well and give the peppers a really good spray, soak the whole plant. The magnesium in the epsom salts really helps the peppers set fruit. I have had pepper plants fall over in the garden from the weight of the peppers on them. With good conditions you can easily get a dozen or more peppers per plant.

Thanks for the tip Steve. Will pick some salts up tomorrow. :good: