SAIL - stores opening

mamona

15 hours ago, canoecarrier said:

Everyone flocks to those big chain stores. I went to the bait shop down the road today, we should all be supporting the smaller stores that have been shut down this whole time. Never mind some billion dollar franchises that were making record online sales.

2 hours ago, pics said:

I love sail.. Canadian owned and operated.. I will also support our smaller local stores when possible..

Well our local guy has shut down . Bait Bucket . Following the foot steps of the last 4-6 that have tried to make it in Barrie.  The lack of a good ice, late season past winter and the road construction that had his rd closed, was a factor. He was probly the best of all that have tried here. Sad that he had to close his doors.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

And full of made in junkistan.

I’ll be honest, I’m all for supporting local businesses but when it comes to quality and service, sail has them beat. I bought a $20 overpriced j13 rapala from a local store, lip broke first cast, owner won’t replace it. However sail would no questions asked and I have never had it happen from a sail store 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

sail has the most competitive pricing and the staff actually know what the hell they are talking about. At least as much as they can...they also carry stuff that you actually want.

I obviously prefer to shop at Pro J and keep it even smaller but Sail > cabellas or bass pro every time for damn sure.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, AKRISONER said:

but Sail > cabellas or bass pro every time for damn sure.

I have a young guy that works at Cabelas here and is right up to date on things. Very mature and I know he fishes,as I have been out and seen him do well. My oldest is now my teacher as well these days. So keeping up and in return,tie river streamers that he needs, we both benefit .  I am still not walking down to the whirlpool to try them out. Ok let me retract that. I will walk down,but will camp out for the rest of my life, as I am not walking back up.LOL

I really would love to get back down there though. He does it like 10X in the fall. Just like I "USE" to do.😆

Edited by misfish

5 hours ago, misfish said:

I have a young guy that works at Cabelas here and is right up to date on things. Very mature and I know he fishes,as I have been out and seen him do well. My oldest is now my teacher as well these days. So keeping up and in return,tie river streamers that he needs, we both benefit .  I am still not walking down to the whirlpool to try them out. Ok let me retract that. I will walk down,but will camp out for the rest of my life, as I am not walking back up.LOL

I really would love to get back down there though. He does it like 10X in the fall. Just like I "USE" to do.😆

I’m thinking the guy you are referencing at cabellas is buddies with that seabass outdoors guy and does his “podcast” with the guy. That guy knows what he’s talking about. The last time I went to bass pro I think I asked where I could find EWG hooks and the girl working the fishing section had no idea what I was talking about. 

the guys at sail in Vaughan are good especially once you start talking to them and they realize you know what you are talking about. A guy named James is top notch. You gotta be careful when you start talking to him though, too many times me and my buddies have gone in just after 6pm on our way up north on a Friday and we end up chatting with him until close at 9 lol

Sail is ok.  Staff are much friendlier than old Lebarons and selection is pretty good for a box store.  I generally shop there for hunting gear and electronics (my guy doesn’t sell electronics).  I only buy tackle from a small shop down in Guelph called Kingsway tackle if I can help it.  He doesn’t have everything but he’s always been able to get what I wanted within a week or less, and is pretty competitive with other stores, even though I’d pay a bit of a premium.  I won’t spend money elsewhere unless I have no choice and he has pretty much stood behind everything he sells.  But yeah not all stores or store owners are created equal and I’ve been in some poorly run tackle shacks.  

When I lived in Toronto I bought 95% of all my musky gear at the Fishing Depot and always enjoyed yakking with Steve & his brother.

After moving near Burleigh Falls 10 years ago I didn't need much more gear but a few years ago I wanted a new musky rod and Steve was too far away so I called Gagnons and got the price on what I wanted.

On the way down I  figured I'd stop in at Sail seeing as I'd never been there before and saw the same rod I wanted to buy for $150 MORE than Gagnons.

I drove across the road to Gagnons, saved $150 and decided I'd never bother with fishing gear at Sail again.

Edited by lew
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, porkpie said:

Sail is ok.  Staff are much friendlier than old Lebarons and selection is pretty good for a box store.  I generally shop there for hunting gear and electronics (my guy doesn’t sell electronics).  I only buy tackle from a small shop down in Guelph called Kingsway tackle if I can help it.  He doesn’t have everything but he’s always been able to get what I wanted within a week or less, and is pretty competitive with other stores, even though I’d pay a bit of a premium.  I won’t spend money elsewhere unless I have no choice and he has pretty much stood behind everything he sells.  But yeah not all stores or store owners are created equal and I’ve been in some poorly run tackle shacks.  

I need to hit the fly shop out your way this year when they open full time. I am sure my wallet will burn a big hole.LOL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...