Physical Distancing

Well, it's really simple. When we first stated this odyssey, PPE was not readily available and the concern was that those who really need it ( health pros) wouldn't have access to it, if the general public started to buy up what ever they can.

We have reached a point where PPE is available to all, so the big minds are telling us to use PPE. Not that complicated.

As far as not knowing anyone who has died of the disease...please feel free to join my family as soon as we get the go ahead to hold a memorial for my wife's aunt.

HH

• Like 1

2 hours ago, glen said:

BassMan11 of course you go.  If you don’t I’ll take your place.  
wash your hands.  Don’t touch your face.  Stay apart. Don’t touch others stuff.  And wash your hands.  

2 hours ago, SirCranksalot said:

At the cottage open all windows to get lots of air flow---stay outside as much as possible. Take disinfectant an a cloth to wipe things down, esp at the cottage when you enter.

Thats what I figured. I planned on going, opening the windows is a good idea as well. The hand washing and disinfecting is a given. Also making sure everyone is taking the necessary precautions leading up to the trip and limit exposure where possible. 

I don't get to see my Dad as much as I like and this is our 1 week a year to do what we have been doing for the last 20 years together.... just fish. 

• Like 1

can only look at my area. Almost everyday we have 1 new case of covid in Durham Region think active cases down to 27.

Probably 3-4 million people . I get to see my dad and spend time with.

This is not NY, Texas I don't even know why you are asking.

On 7/24/2020 at 12:23 AM, BassMan11 said:

Whats everyone's feelings on fishing trips right now? Here's my situation:

I live in Ottawa, my Father in Niagara, and the other two older gentlemen are also from the Niagara area. We go on a fishing trip almost every year. My dad and his friends are older... over 60, and I in my 30's with 2 little kids. I have tentatively booked a cottage for the 4 of us in September up my way. 

Do we still go? What is the general consensus?

I don't really think the 14 day quarantine guarantees much imo. the concern I have with it is that people can be asymptomatic, which a 14 day quarantine won't uncover. Considering the ages involved, the only way to be safe, and sure would be for everyone to get tested, ideally at a date close to the trip. I'm an essential worker and basically presume EVERYONE is positive, and/or asymptomatic. this is a line of thought some front line medical professionals suggest. it keeps you on your toes a bit more.

Edited by woodenboater

15 hours ago, Garnet said:

can only look at my area. Almost everyday we have 1 new case of covid in Durham Region think active cases down to 27.

Probably 3-4 million people . I get to see my dad and spend time with.

This is not NY, Texas I don't even know why you are asking.

I think looking at the responses this is a fine question to ask. Lots of different responses here. Just because we are not in the same shape as the states doesn't really mean we are totally out of the woods. Nor will we probably ever be. That said I think everyone hiding in their houses because the media has BREAKING COVID NEWS every day every hour is horrible for everyones mental health. 

I plan on going on the trip.... but if everyone responded "thats a horrible idea" then maybe i'd rethink my decision.

2 hours ago, BassMan11 said:

Just because we are not in the same shape as the states doesn't really mean we are totally out of the woods.

I think that we all need to figure out ways of carrying on with life as best we can,  with the threat of COVID-19 remaining around for quite a while, and we need to continue to re-assess the situation as things evolve or degrade.  I think hiding away completely, while banking on a future vaccine or the virus vanishing, is not really feasible.

The chance of catching COVID-19 seems greater in an area experiencing a hot outbreak, and less in an area that has no active outbreak. As long as each of us lacks immunity to the virus (through whatever means), the risk won't ever be zero and transmission only ever requires contact with a single infected individual, not thousands.  The hand-washing and physical-distancing counter-measures are the only tools we've got right now, and the spirit of those guidelines are what need to be followed out in the community.

The other concern is the outcome of the disease for the individual if they do happen to catch COVID-19. That's the piece that nobody knows for sure ahead of time, but statistics to date indicate that the chance of a poor or fatal outcome from the disease seems to be higher with age  (source: https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/epidemiological-summary-covid-19-cases.html)

hospitalizations-by-age-group.png.677f31ec1e7ff52b2c1df6d245bea524.png

Youngsters  seem to be more willing to roll the dice on catching it, and it might be because they feel that their personal outcome would be less likely to result in hospitalization or death. Hopefully, those risk-takers are not mingling with anyone elderly.

Edited by MJIG
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MJIG said:

Youngsters  seem to be more willing to roll the dice on catching it, and it might be because they feel that their personal outcome would be less likely to result in hospitalization or death. Hopefully, those risk-takers are not mingling with anyone elderly.

Unfortunately for some, the long term health affects can be debilitating/life shortening. Organ damage among them.

It seems to me that after having endured what we have to date, it would be silly to stop taking precautions and give up the gains we have made so far. One only has to look at how different countries have responded to the pandemic to see what has worked and what hasn't.

Last thought... we are mostly Canadians here and we are accustomed to wearing balaclava's and such when conditions warrant. Just think that the conditions do warrant masks and keep on keepin on...

HH

• Like 5