MNR Proposed changes to Smallmouth in FMZ 20

KraTToR

The Ministry is seeking public input on proposed changes to the bass angling season in Fisheries Management Zone 20 (FMZ20)
including separate open season dates for Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass and options for early season bass angling.
Fisheries Management Concern
The Ministry is concerned about the future of the
Smallmouth Bass (SMB) bass fishery in FMZ20. Recent
science indicates the current open season date (3rd Saturday
in June) provides little protection to spawning fish which
could result in a long-term population decline and reduced
social and economic benefits. The current open season date
for Largemouth Bass (LMB) provides sufficient protection.
Fishing Seasons – Bass Management
Typically, bass angling season is closed during spawning time
to improve reproductive success. Bass are especially
vulnerable during spawning because they guard their nest
against predators and can be easily caught by anglers. Nest
predation by Round Gobies and other species following the
removal of the parent, even for short periods of time, has
been well documented.
Bass Spawning Time in Lake Ontario
In southern Ontario, the timing and duration of bass
spawning is closely related to water temperature and
generally occurs from mid-May to mid-July.
In Lake Ontario, LMB and SMB are typically found in different
habitats which warm up at different rates in the spring.
SMB that occupy deeper cold-water habitats in the main Lake
and in the St. Lawrence River have been observed spawning
much later than LMB in the warmer near shore areas.
Changes to the FMZ20 Bass Season in 2013
In 2013 the opening of bass season was made earlier by one
week to open on the 3
rd Saturday in June. At the time, it was
believed that the earlier date aligned well with LMB spawning
activity but there were concerns from stakeholders that SMB
may not be sufficiently protected. MNRF acknowledged the
potential risk to SMB and agreed to monitor the fishery and
make adjustments if necessary.
New Science - FMZ20 Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass spawning
Queens University researchers, led by Dr. Bruce Tufts
, conducted a three year study from 2014-2017 to evaluate the
amount of protection provided by the current closed season for bass angling. The study examined the timing of spawning
and development from egg to the swim-up fry stage (free swimming juvenile fish) for both LMB and SMB in the eastern basin
of Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River. Reaching the swim –up fry stage (free swimming juvenile fish) is considered a
nest protection threshold. Once “swim-up” is attained the nest is considered to be successful.
The researchers conclude that there are important differences in the timing of spawning between the two species in Lake
Ontario and the Upper St. Lawrence River and that the current dates for the open season provide minimal protection to
Smallmouth Bass.

Largemouth Bass and Smallmouth Bass can be distinguished by
several anatomical features. They also prefer different habitats that
impact spawning duration and the rate of juvenile development.
Proposed Bass Fishing Season Change Fisheries Management Zone 20
Keys findings from the Queens University Study:
• By the 3rd Saturday in June (June 19 during the 3 year study) on
average:
• 58% of LMB nests had reached the swim-up developmental
stage when parental guarding is complete.
• 8% of SMB nests reached the swim-up development stage.
• The difference between the bass species largely reflects the
habitat preference for each species.
• Nest observations were modelled using average seasonal
temperature data to estimate the additional time required to
improve spawning success. The data from the study indicates
that on average 50% of SMB nests should reach swim-up stage
by July 1st (Figure 1)
Fisheries management perspective: achieving 50% nest success
(nests with swim-up fry) should be considered a safe long-term
management goal, while striving for 80% success is unrealistic and
doesn’t typically occur in nature.
Figure 1: By Bass season opening weekend (June 19 during 3-
year study) only 8% of Smallmouth Bass nests have swim-up
fry. An opening date of July 1st would offer protection for 50%
of Smallmouth Bass nests.
Management Options Considered:
The Ministry, with the support of the FMZ20 Fisheries Advisory Council, considered the new research and evaluated a range
of management options to improve protection of SMB including: 1) maintaining status quo - keeping bass opener the 3rd
weekend in June; 2) change the opening date to July 1st for both LMB and SMB; 3) dividing the Zone into smaller sub-zones
with a mid June opening date for warm areas (embayments) and July 1st for cold areas (open water areas) and 4) split the
open season date for LMB (mid June) and SMB (July 1). The Ministry and the FMZ20 Council also considered and developed
options for early season (pre-spawn) bass angling opportunities. Similar early season angling opportunities exist in several US
States and in North Western Ontario.
Proposed FMZ20 Regular Season For Bass
Different opening season dates for Largemouth Bass and
Smallmouth Bass:
• Largemouth Bass – 3rd Saturday in June to December
• Smallmouth Bass – open 1st Saturday in July to
December 31
Maintain the aggregate catch and possession limits - Sport
(6) and Conservation (2) for LMB and SMB combined.
Rationale: This option provides sufficient protection for
Smallmouth Bass, maintains and enhances angling and
social and economic opportunities and is not overly
complicated.
Proposed Early Season Angling Options
1. Early season angling for LMB and SMB (January 1 to
May ) with catch and release (no harvest). 10
2. (January season SMB Early for LMB and 1 to May 10)
Conservation with reduced daily catch limit - Sport (2)
(1) (catch and - exception: no early season harvest
release only) in small waterbodies in FMZ20 such as:
Lake Consecon, East and West Roblin Lake, Fish Lake,
Lake, Lake on the Mountain Wellers Bay, Pleasant Bay,
Hamilton Harbour
3. Maintain status quo – no early season
In both early season options (1 & 2) the season is closed between
May 10 and the proposed opening date. (No bass angling would
be allowed when the majority of bass are staging and spawning.)
Provide Feedback
The public is encouraged to provided feedback on the proposal changes to the regular season and the early season angling
options. Please indicate by March 31, 2020 whether you support the proposed regular season and which early season
option you prefer.
Send your comments to Lake Ontario Management Unit
41 Fish Hatchery Lane, RR#4
Picton, ON K0K 2T0
email: [email protected]

1 hour ago, AKRISONER said:

The best thing for that fishery would be to not allow B1 to kill 400 4lb smallmouth over the course of a weekend without penalty.

Not only did they kill 183 bass, they killed 183 of thebiggest bass in the area.”
Last time you posted about this it was 183 bass and now they all 4 lber’s too! Exaggerating does nothing to gain credibility. 

It’s not great that it happened but suggesting THAT is a solution as opposed to seasonal adjustments is simply ridiculous. 

At Port Colborne and Long Point , there are sanctuary areas that don't open till 2 weeks after the regular opener. Been like that for all my 70 years, simple old solution to the problem, don't waste our money on analyzing the problem further, committees, boards, public feedback, just do it. As for preseasonn catch and release only ? I don't think many keep bass even during the open season.

Edited by dave524

6 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Not only did they kill 183 bass, they killed 183 of thebiggest bass in the area.”
Last time you posted about this it was 183 bass and now they all 4 lber’s too! Exaggerating does nothing to gain credibility. 

It’s not great that it happened but suggesting THAT is a solution as opposed to seasonal adjustments is simply ridiculous. 

I think when I last posted about it, the tournament wasn’t even over yet. They had over 100 competitors fish for 2 days with a 98% (I think is what I last read?) mortality rate. My original math was actually too low the first time I posted about this. Friggin unbelievable really? And on the st Lawrence? Not too many competitors coming in with less than 3lbers.

im 100% a fan of bass tournaments, and am not one of the “anti tournament crowd” I realize bass tournaments are what literally keeps the entire fishing industry afloat for the most part because of the accessibility of it...but seriously, what happened there was simply not acceptable and means that either the company needs to invest more to manage fish suffering from Barotrauma, and hire some people that know what the heck they are doing. I don’t have the answers, but in speaking with a local, he has noticed a substantial decline in fishing in the area and it’s pretty apparent that it’s the tournaments that are causing it. 

I think when I last posted about it, the tournament wasn’t even over yet.

The tournament ran July 13/14...your post was July 24 so yes it was over. 
Everyone agrees that was an especially bad tournament for the mortality rate and because it’s a catch and release format, they need to do better during times of extreme weather. What I take issue with, is throwing one tournament series and one especially poor tournament out as a solution for an entire zone. 

2 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

The tournament ran July 13/14...your post was July 24 so yes it was over. 
Everyone agrees that was an especially bad tournament for the mortality rate and because it’s a catch and release format, they need to do better during times of extreme weather. What I take issue with, is throwing one tournament series and one especially poor tournament out as a solution for an entire zone. 

There’s a lot to the equation, but seriously that tournament alone had a devestating impact on the local fish population. Considering it specifically targeted the largest best spawning fish and killed hundreds of them from a specific stretch of water. That specific area is host to many many tournaments. If they continue to have the same problem’s it will literally finish the fishery off for good. Not far different from what happens in the lakes in the southern United States. Guntersville, santee Cooper, Kentucky lake, chickmauga all are tough fisheries and it’s because of the pounding that their tournaments place on their lakes. Even worse down there because they hammer them during the spawn. 

I fished santee Cooper last year and got skunked for three days straight, during the spring! That’s telling of what’s happened to that lake because of the extreme spawn tournament pressure considering a decade ago it was taking 40lbs pushing 50! In some instances to win tournaments on it.

once again, I’m not anti tournament, but I’m also not anti common sense. We are blessed with the literal best bass fishing in the entire world in Ontario. If capitalist organizations want to use the resource as a revenue source, they should be held accountable for the health of the fishery.

thats part of the problem, the outright disconnect between our tournament fishing organizations in canada and conservation efforts. 

whats going on in Texas with their share lunkers program is something that’s imo desperately needed up here in canada along with our already tight seasonal regulations.

Edited by AKRISONER

3 hours ago, grimsbylander said:

Loose facts = knee jerk reactions. Not sure why the MNR hasn’t caught on to your simple solution. 

I don’t have a solution, I don’t know enough to know what the solution is nor do I have the resources available to me to know. Corporations and the government do though. Hence my point. The total lack of repercussions/changes to ensure that it never happens again is what I take issue with. 

I don’t have a solution, I don’t know enough to know what the solution is nor do I have the resources available to me to know. Corporations and the government do though. Hence my point. The total lack of repercussions/changes to ensure that it never happens again is what I take issue with. 

You’re talking in circles.
“The best thing for that fishery would be...”. Sounds like a solution to me.

Please explain where you got the information that confirms there is a “total lack of repercussions/changes to ensure that it never happens again”. You know this how? Explain your research.

The irony here is they practice catch and release because they care about the fishery. The truth is they can make it a derby, bonk fish on the head and be well within the limits. The MNR works hard to protect our fisheries so I ask, did the MNR lay charges(repercussions), cancel or issue controls on B1? Why not?

16 minutes ago, singingdog said:

Tournament fishing doesn't drive anything but more tournament fishing. It has absolutely nothing to do with why, or how I fish. 

...except for any rods, reels, electronics, mapping software, trolling motors etc etc etc (should i go on?) that you use.

All of that tech, refinement etc etc is alllll driven by the bass fishing and inshore fishing industry by our friends in the united states. The refinement of lures and reels comes from the guys on literally one specific lake (Lake Biwa) in Japan.

Its the exact same relationship that F1 maintains with the car industry. Youd think that F1 has absolutely nothing to do with the pickup truck that you drive...except for the fact that every single vehicle produced has a limited slip differential in it.

Trust me, the canadian tinner based walleye/trout fisherman makes up the smallest amount of revenue in the entire industry.

Was talking with Dave Chong last week about this, the entirety of Canadian Bass Boat sales is trumped by almost any singular state in the United States. Thats pretty unbelievable isnt it? Population, and buying power, a strong dollar are pretty incredible things.

Grimsby, the MNR by law openly publishes any charges/fines that they impose on people. Its all public record. I know that B1 addressed the issue because of Optics...which in any corporation are as important as almost anything.

Could you imagine the optics in 2020 of catch and kill tournaments? Weve gone way past that, but personally I think even more can be done. Just look at what MLF is doing. (I dont personally know if that specifically is the answer because I still think weigh in's add a certain dynamic to tournament fishing) but at the same time this wasnt a small local family tournament, B1 is the real deal, big money, big names and they really really messed up. Im glad they addressed it, but I stand by my opinion that  after seeing what happened happen, we should be doing more to protect our fisheries and to make sure that it doesnt happen again. We may just have a difference of opinions on the matter.

Edited by AKRISONER

Tournaments has changed fishing in every way

not just bass tournaments Walleye trout salmon panfish and  Muskie 
the sharing of information has changed  all aspects of fishing where , why and how we fish

How did this turn into a tournament thing??? lol

It seems that largies are ok because they spawn in warm shallow bays, not so much for the smallies, especially on the great lakes.  If you fish the opener at long point you'll notice that the SM population isn't what it used to be, quite possibly the hundreds of boats pulling them off their nest before the eggs have hatched or the fry haven't reached the freedom stage?