Shoulder Repair

I tore my Supra spinatus February last year and they finally are telling me i need surgery. Has anyone had this repair done? How bad was the recovery period? Or has anyone needed this repair and not had it done and regret it? The only motion I can't do is reach out to my side and pick up anything. I don't do this motion usually and have been doing renos and fishing and hunting the past year with no issues. Any info would be great thanks. Sorry not really fishing related but I've seen posts where others mention body failings that prevent them from fishing anymore.

Never had or needed it. That being said you will have to ask your self, do the benefits out weight the solution/risk?

To me the major factors would be if there is pain or restrictions that effect your life without it.

Best wishes for the decision you need to make.

I have not had it done but know a few guys that have with mixed results. Recovery time is totally dependent on your age and physical fitness. When I was scheduled for a major surgery I hit the gym, hard. If you do not do your post op therapy you may never heal. Age also comes into play as far as the advantage of surgery. In your 30's? Of course you need to get the most out of your body with 30 years of work ahead of you. 55 years old? You might just leave it alone unless the pain keeps you up at night and you can't carry a box of 12 beers. At almost 66 now I'm in the can't cut the lawn, carry a 12 pack of anything and am up all night with pain. I go through 40 some hours of no sleep then sleep for a day then repeat. And that is after having over a dozen surgeries since 1978 from head to toe. If you see a surgeon they will want to do surgery, one honest bone Doc once told me that's the only way he gets paid. I see Docs are replacing knees and hips on friends and relatives of mine in their 60's and older that have never limped or even complained of pain ever. Get several opinions including from a non surgical rehab perspective. Read about NHLer Connor McDavids non surgical comeback. Amazing. 

38 minutes ago, Walltrout said:

Your shoulder will only get WORSE and arthritis will set in and make it even worse.

You don't know that. With proper therapy surgery is not always the answer. DNA plays a big part as well. I know people that have had major ortho surgery and zero arthritis and people that have never had an injury full of arthritis. I don't practice medicine I just tell of my experiences. 

11 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

You don't know that. With proper therapy surgery is not always the answer. DNA plays a big part as well. I know people that have had major ortho surgery and zero arthritis and people that have never had an injury full of arthritis. I don't practice medicine I just tell of my experiences. 

I am telling you my experience with both my shoulders being totally replaced.

• Like 1

Am just getting back on here after a long time but saw this ....  Hey Floater....Saw your post and had to reply!!   I completely tore my rotator cuff when I was 25-30 yrs old.  Back then they wanted to fix it but gave me a 50/50 chance it would help so I didnt do it.... I had pain with it but it wasnt stopping me from living comfortably and could do most anything...I knew not to lift or I would suffer so judged my lifting on a 12 pk or under....In my 50's I was getting more pain and they sent me for pain management.. Cortisone etc...  I didnt want to keep putting that stuff in my body for the rest of my life so searched out options... My only option was a shoulder replacement....  Doc said it would allow me more movement and stop pain...  (am trying to keep this short) I decided to do it in my early 60's .....   If I could turn back time I would NOT have had it done.... I have more pain ..Less movement now.... Even with physio I can't seem to get back the strength I had....
Floater....no one can tell you whether to do it or not,  but weigh everything out.....Right now you can.... Work...Fish.... Hunt...with no issues ...So your living life rather comfortably  .... (you didnt mention pain) ....  So why fix whats not causing you issues?  I am not saying dont do it and not saying do it.....  BUT  Please really think it through? .... Let us know how it goes for you?  Good luck!!  🍀  

Edited by 3Nancy3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 3Nancy3 said:

I completely tore my rotator cuff when I was 25-30 yrs old. 

I tore mine at the same age . I had surgery after it kept popping out.

3 hours ago, 3Nancy3 said:

I decided to do it in my early 60's .....   If I could turn back time I would NOT have had it done....

I am glad I did it when I was young. Build up muscle still then. The only effect I have now at 55, is I get the odd numnus if I have it in a  elevated certain potion for a long period of time. Other then that,It has been fine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, misfish said:

I tore mine at the same age . I had surgery after it kept popping out.

I am glad I did it when I was young. Build up muscle still then. The only effect I have now at 55, is I get the odd numnus if I have it in a  elevated certain potion for a long period of time. Other then that,It has been fine.

I'm so glad it worked out for you Brian. It sure hasn't hindered your fishing. Pain is so subjective, the O.P. didn't mention pain, to me that's the main reason to have surgery, to lessen the pain so an individual can get back to work or just be able to get to sleep without taking a handful of narcotics. I have to laugh when I hear someone say they have an 8 out of 10 pain. An 8 is bad, very bad. If a 10 is unconsciousness pain because it is so bad the brain shuts itself down an 9 must be in full fledged shock, hot and cold sweats, shaking, elevated heart rate, shortness of breath and all that stuff. A 9 is bad, very very bad. Then there is the 8 out of 10 pain. Not as bad as a 9 but bad enough to get on the floor writhing and moaning in a fetal position. I could go down the list until we get to a 4 which is what the nice lady in our Dr's office was talking about when she filled out her questionnaire. 

Pain is one of the most subjective things us humans must deal with. One mans 4 is another mans 8. 

Thanks for all the info and tips. The pain comes and goes but it's allot better now than it was the first six months. Like I posted originally  the only limited movement is straight out to the side and can't lift anything. The stupid thing about all this is I had to wait nine months to see a Dr and he gives me crap for not having an MRI. I get the MRI, four months later, and he then tells me he's a knee guy and will refer me to a shoulder guy!! I will be getting a second opinion before I agree to anything that involves cutting me open. Thanks guys

• Like 1