Fish Batter recipe?

Good old Annt Jemima "original" pancake mix and beer. Mix whatever amounts of each to get a batter that is lump free and the thickness that it'll still slowly run off your mixing spoon but not in globs. I also add a bit of salt, lemon pepper and cayenne pepper for a bit of bite. In a deep fry pan add enough canola oil that'll float the filet. Add a knob of butter to the oil (Approx 10% of the oil volume), for a richer flavor. Bring the oil up to 350 - 375° No colder or hotter; that'll give to a 25° range to play with. You will need to keep and eye on the temp and adjust accordingly. Fry one side till golden brown and the batter sounds crisp when you drag a fork over; flip and repeat. As that portion cools enough to eat the batter will soften and become moist and not end up soggy or oily tasting.

I think the cooking/frying process is just as important as the actual batter or fish you're using. 

Dan.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

misfish

Confused? I thought that you for one (being a homer) would understand the KISS method. LOL

Keep It Simple Stupid is the best way of making the best foods. You being from the East coast knows that better then me!!!! But then again you're now living in Ontario; that can corrupt anyone. LOL

Dan.

1 hour ago, DanD said:

misfish

Confused? I thought that you for one (being a homer) would understand the KISS method. LOL

Keep It Simple Stupid is the best way of making the best foods. You being from the East coast knows that better then me!!!! But then again you're now living in Ontario; that can corrupt anyone. LOL

Dan.

LOL

Still homer here

Think outside the box,,,,,,

LOL

Edited by misfish
  • Like 1

A neighbour buddy of mine has been guiding for well over 30 years and he swears the best batter comes from Brodie xxx self rising flour.
For breading he uses Zatarains Fish Fri blends, they're a 125 year old company from New Orleans.  I saw him post a pic of it just recently. Whenever I'm over at the Walleye Lounge there's often a box on the counter. Not in this case though, Jim had the place spruced up real good for the tv crew. This was 7 years back, there's been solid improvements to the seating and other changes since then. This used to be used as a real garage, complete with a hoist mounted in the loft at one time. It's a huge log structure, more than double garage wide and with a high peak and large loft. It matches the even more impressive log home. I can't recall exactly what that floor cost him but I think it was up towards 20G, it's real nice. With apologies for the side track

I don't like wet battered fish. If not done right it is like eating a fish donut. Mine is as simple as it can get. Egg with a touch of milk and Montreal Steak Spice mixed in. Shooked in Panko crumbs and fried. Done. Same way for 40 years. I have tried many others from Rice Crispies to Beer batter, I always go back to Panko.  

• Like 1

Has anyone tried using crushed Pork Rinds as a replacement for breading? Talking with a relative and that is what they have been using instead of bread.

i have not tried it yet, but apparently it works really well with fish and chicken.

HH

If its walleye, perch, crappie, or a small trout, I don't use a batter at all.  These fillets need little more than a bit of S&P IMHO.

I shallow fry them in a mixture of butter and oil and let them speak for themselves.  Just like a premium steak or heritage breed pork chop, nuthin more than S&P.  The salt enhances the flavour and that's it.  Ok, maybe a bit of fresh lemon, never the pre-bottled junk..

On 5/10/2020 at 9:55 AM, OhioFisherman said:

https://www.mccormick.com/zatarains/products/dinner-and-side-mixes/rice-mixes-and-side-dishes

Some of Zatarain's other products are pretty darned good too!

I don't believe we have their products here in Ontario? Looks good though and I did have some of their stuff when i was in the South.

On 5/13/2020 at 10:11 AM, Old Ironmaker said:

I don't like wet battered fish. If not done right it is like eating a fish donut. Mine is as simple as it can get. Egg with a touch of milk and Montreal Steak Spice mixed in. Shooked in Panko crumbs and fried. Done. Same way for 40 years. I have tried many others from Rice Crispies to Beer batter, I always go back to Panko.  

A lot of people swear by the Panko. We have a good supply of that, so definitely worth a try.

Thanks

I guess what i was after, was something equal to the fish and chip shops? The price of halibut and chips is over $14.00 now and the pieces of fish just keep getting smaller and smaller! lol

Maybe it is just as simple as flour?  Why would sifting be so important?

I watched a You Tube episode of Godwin (Duck Dynasty) doing some Crappie in flour after they were coated in sour cream first. It also looked interesting. I used to use a lot of the Bass Pro mix or Fish Crisp and they were both corn meal based.

On 5/13/2020 at 12:36 PM, smitty55 said:

That works real good and you can even change flavours.

Yes, chips make a great breading as well. 

Nothing wrong with using your hands and packing the Panko tight into whatever you are frying. Makes fantastic fried chicken and pork too. 

16 hours ago, Rattletrap2 said:

I don't believe we have their products here in Ontario? Looks good though and I did have some of their stuff when i was in the South.

I've seen some of their stuff at Len's Mills of all places, last time I was in there with my wife getting craft supplies

23 minutes ago, dave524 said:

I've seen some of their stuff at Len's Mills of all places, last time I was in there with my wife getting craft supplies

Family that knits together,stays warm together. 😂

16 hours ago, Rattletrap2 said:

I guess what i was after, was something equal to the fish and chip shops?

Da best

On 5/13/2020 at 12:31 PM, Fisherman said:

Potato chips all crushed up, egg dip then into crushed potato chips and into the oil.

On 5/13/2020 at 1:04 PM, Fisherman said:

I find that salt and vinegar ones work best for my taste.

Yessss we’ve done this a number of times. S&V miss vickies is good cool ranch or cheese Doritos are good too. Other then that we usually use fish crisp, more often then not Cajun or the Italian flavour. 

Edited by Musky Plug
  • Like 1

Anyone seen ocean perch around these days ? I use to buy it a lot way back. Went to have a look see this week. Can not seem to find it .

I like the Cajun FC.

I tried Basa last week. They say it,s part of the cat fish family. I will stick to real whiskers. That basa is crap.

Brian, Be careful with that Basa! It is a Vietnamese catfish! Google how they are raised in Vietnam and you would not ever want to eat them. They are basically fed human waste!

Now there are a lot of Basa farms in the US as well. Read the package!!!